FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: New Yankee Workshop Episodes Online for Free

Cool New Yankee Workshop Episodes Online for Free

Cross posted on Woodnet / Canadian Woodworking Forum.

Folks, just browsing the net and dropped by the New Yankee workshop website only to find that they are airing (webcasting) the old NYW episodes for free. Each selected program will webcast on the website for one week only then replaced by another. You can check out the schedule at http://www.newyankee.com/onlineSchedule.php.

I just finished watching the very first episode of NYW. Here are the highlights from my perspective.

• There is no “shop safety” reminder from Norm at the beginning.
    • It is interesting to see how “sparse” the shop was in the beginning; just basic tools nothing fancy.
    • Norm uses screws instead of brads to clamp pieces while the glue sets!
    • Norm shows gaps in his finger joints and then shows a trick to “fix” the problem. At least in this episode he uses his wits to work around issues versus relying on jigs.
    • Norm makes a cheek cut on a tenon without a tenoning jig using a technique that I would consider dangerous.
    Overall, I really enjoyed watching the very first episode of NYW. Norm appeared much more “human” compared to recent history when the jigs & fancy tooling made things almost foolproof. I am looking forward to watching the other early episodes later on this month. At least for January 2010 my NYW withdrawal would be cured.

Happy New Year to all. J

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: New Yankee Workshop Episodes Online for Free

thanks for spotting that link, i always enjoyed the shows

i just wish i could see them on the tv instead of my laptop!! or at least fulscreen on the laptop, maybe somebody can help me here!!

i watched that first episode, and your comments were righton!!

the tooling back then was far simpler and much more in line with what most viewers would have

is that drill press actually a shop smith!! and that tablesaw is sure different than the big ones in later shows

i definetly question some of his methods, beltsanding plugs off?, cutting mortise and tenon joint that way seems mighty dangerous to me(workpiece vertical through the blade) and what happens if that mirror ever breaks?

but all in all, an interesting video, a very basic project with very basic tools
    Last edited by stevem; 01-01-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Safety is common sense. We don't have to copy everything he does. I notice his hand are very close to the blades and even above the blades. I will find a way not to do that. I will setup my mind not to be confident with the table saw.

Overall, I learned a lot.
    Last edited by asindero; 01-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.

I have recorded quite a few of them (digitally) since I started watching. Have copied some to DVD.
    If you need a episode let me know and if I have it I'm willing to share it.

Oh wow, the first episode. Thanks for the link, I never would have known.

I notice his hands shake a lot lately, it doesn't appear to affect his work though.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Real Name
    J.P.

Is there some way I can save these to my computer and watch them later? I tried but can't seem to manage it.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I think if you right click and" save target as: your destination " should work but I'm far from an expert on this stuff, I have not got a splinter from a computer yet!!!!! LOL By the way Happy New Year to All

Oshawa but for some it's a place close to their hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Rap View Post
    Is there some way I can save these to my computer and watch them later? I tried but can't seem to manage it.
    Which episodes do you want JP? I have most of seasons 1 through 12 and all the episodes from season 13 on saved as avi files on dvd. I haven't done a search for the missing episodes in a while so I should have a look in between painting sessions.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Which episodes do you want JP? I have most of seasons 1 through 12 and all the episodes from season 13 on saved as avi files on dvd. I haven't done a search for the missing episodes in a while so I should have a look in between painting sessions.
    Thanx Aussie.
    Not that I wanted any particular episode. I just thought it would be nice to save it and watch them at my leisure. Seems now I can't even play it. Maybe the server is busy. It plays about 30 seconds then stops.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Talking Re: New Yankee Workshop Episodes Online for Free

NYW videos are done using adobe flash so you need some kind of flv capture program. A free one that I just found is Orbit Downloader. It has worked well on the few vids I have tried it so far. I'm using it with Firefox and Win7 - but should work with IE7 or 8

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/ and install it

Move your cursor over the video a box will apear with "Grab it" - for most flv videos you can just click "Grab it" - but for NYW this wont work as it says that there is "no video url found".

However, in the "Grab It" box there is a down arrow on the right
    - click that down arrow and select Grab++ and a new dialog box will pop open
    - it will ask you to refresh the original screen (with the video)
    - select the NYW screen and press F5 to refresh
    - the title of the vid should now appear in the dialog box
    - check the box on the left and click download at the bottom.
    - Watch where it downloads and then go view it.

You might have to download a new player called GOM player (very versitile) to play the FLV movies. Also free. http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html

(I'm a little fuzzy here about the order 'cause I went through the motions quickly without thinking about writing it up and since I've already downloaded it and can't quite remember the order and can't repeat it - so I might be off a little)

This is great that NYW is doing this - means I won't have to spend days transfering all my old video tapes to dvd.

If none of this works for you, then try going to where IE or Firefox stores all it's little files when it displays a web page and look for a .flv file.

The file for this issue is called NYW_101-Ned/cab_122809.flv

Good luck - happy new year

Disclaimer: the software I suggested works fine for me - so far - but if you are CONCERNED about adding new "stuff" to your well working system THEN DON'T! (both items are free - but if you really like them then use the donate box to give a little back)

This won't work for FWW
    Last edited by Glenn from Winnipeg; 01-01-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

I use Safari browser and to download the file I went to the Activity button under the Window tab and double clicked on the NYW-101 file. It is 137 mb.

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks for the update on NYWS.
    A great tool for downloading the vids from NYWS if your using Firefox is the "FlashGot" Addin.

I have several seasons downloaded and saved (1,2,3,4,10,12). THese are the most common ones online, and its hard to find the remaining complete seasons.

It would be a great service if anyone would post up the hard to find seasons on Torrent Or even post a site that has them. Id really like to compete my collection.

http://www.whereweshare.com/ has alot of woodworking downloads , including NWYS, but theyre hosted on Rapidshare, which has limits unless your a premium member.

http://diytvfan.blogspot.com/ is a site that uploads alot of NYWS episodes fpr download and he also posts up on youtube.

He also posts Old house and ATOH episodes http://www.youtube.com/user/fanoftvd.../6/ycKHnBdPGlg
    Last edited by scooby074; 01-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Real Name
    J.P.

Thanx for the tips guys. I'll look into them.

BTW, Pete in Milton...As far as I can tell, using "save target as" simply allows you to save a link to the web page in a location of your choosing. It doesn't actually save the video.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Real Name
    Jason

BTW, Pete in Milton...As far as I can tell, using "save target as" simply allows you to save a link to the web page in a location of your choosing. It doesn't actually save the video.

Im not pete, but thats correct. You need something to intercept the download in order to save it. Thats where a program like "FlashGet" comes in.

On some sites, with some types of video and browsers you can just right click.

The files in question will be saved as .FLV files. Which are "Flash Video". They'll require a Special "FlV compatible player" or codec for windows media player to play on your computer. THese are readily available for free through a google search,

Oshawa but for some it's a place close to their hearts!

Thanx Aussie.
    Not that I wanted any particular episode. I just thought it would be nice to save it and watch them at my leisure. Seems now I can't even play it. Maybe the server is busy. It plays about 30 seconds then stops.
    I see a member at Where We Share has posted virtually every episode and listed them alphabetically.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.

Check out http://cleanwatch.org/newyankee/. He has all but 6 of the New Yankee episodes and all of the David Mark's Woodworks episodes.

Also try jDownloader which is an amazing piece of software to automate downloading from RapidShare, MegaUpload and ton of other hosting sides. Totally unattended downloading including the Captcha's.
    the other Ken
    ------
    I actually have enough clamps

Real Name
    Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    I use Safari browser and to download the file I went to the Activity button under the Window tab and double clicked on the NYW-101 file. It is 137 mb.
    Using Safari I saved the first 2 episodes, but now that the third one is up, I can't seem to download it. Anyone else have this problem with this new episode?
    Stephan Pawloski Woodworking - Custom cabinetry and furniture - www.spwoodworking.com

I've just been watching the episodes as they come up on the NYW site. I've been woodworking since about 1976 which is two years longer than the show has been on the air. I've gone through the pine phase, the plywood phase, the particle board phase, the veneered particle board phase and I've done a lot of the things that Norm was doing when he first started his show. I'm sure he must cringe when looking back at those early episodes as I do when I look at some of the very earliest things I made.
    In Episode 105 he's making a shaker bedside table out of pine with tapered legs and breadboard ends on the top. He uses the same jig for tapered legs I used to use and it's hard to watch now but I'm sure I used to do the same things on the table saw such as getting my hands way to close to the blade and doing vertical tenon cuts on a narrow little fence. He glues the breadboard ends on with glue the entire length of the breadboard and nails the drawer together with finishing nails. I used to do all that stuff too before I learned better ways, so while we might scoff at Norm using a brad to "hold it together while the glue dries" we need to realize he was out there showing people how to get started in woodworking while he was learning himself and back then there was no internet for woodworkers to share their skills and knowledge.
    It's fun to watch "the master carpenter" learn just like I did. I can't wait to see more of the early episodes to see when he started to get more and better tools and to watch his skills grow. I never saw any of the episodes until at least the mid 80's so this is a treat to watch them from the beginning.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine in Kitchener View Post
    In Episode 105 he's making a shaker bedside table out of pine with tapered legs and breadboard ends on the top. ...
    He glues the breadboard ends on with glue the entire length of the breadboard and nails the drawer together with finishing nails.
    Yes, its funny: He mentions in detail not to glue in the plywood bottom to the drawer because of expansion and contraction, but he is happy to glue the breadboard ends in.
    -------
    Cheers,
    --Rick