FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2010 Hitachi M12VE 3 1/4HP Router………… Video Tool Review.

Blog Entries

Default The 2010 Hitachi M12VE 3 1/4HP Router………… Video Tool Review.

Hi All,

Are you in the market for a new 3 1/4HP router?
    If so, you might want to check out the video tool review I've done on the 2010 Hitachi M12VE.

Redesigned for 2010, this router goes back to its roots and improves on what made the original M12V a workhorse in many professional and hobbyists workshops.

There is only one in Canada and I’ve got it. So if you’re looking for the particulars on the new Hitachi M12VE for 2010……………….take a look at this video.

http://gordgraff.blip.tv/

All the best
    Gord
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 03-03-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Embed Video

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: The 2010 Hitachi M12VE 3 1/4HP Router………… Video Tool Review.

Thanks for the excellent review Gord!

I copied this thread into the Power Tools Tutorials for future reference.

Blog Entries

Hi Bill,

Many thanks.

All the best
    Gord

Real Name
    Steve Morris

thank god they got rid of that goofy star wars look!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    I thought it looked like running shoes. I wonder if customers didn't buy the look.
    Cheers, Mark
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Talking Re: The 2010 Hitachi M12VE 3 1/4HP Router………… Video Tool Review.

I have the original in a table and it works great...

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    I thought it looked like running shoes. I wonder if customers didn't buy the look.
    Cheers, Mark
    Pete and I spoke with the Hitachi dealer at the last Kitchener Woodshow. They were clearing out all the old stock for the new models. We had both mentioned the "running shoe" look and the vendor , obviously embarrassed, said "ya, that was a big mistake". I guess the new look wasn't the big hit they were hoping for and sales suffered quite a bit because of it.
    I think there's a tool designer out there somewhere looking for work.

Oh ya...Nice job on the vid Gord.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Blog Entries

Hi Guys,

Everyone I've talked to about the "tennis shoe" Hitachi M12V2 router all say the same things..............they hate the look.
    ......................... I'm not a fan of it's looks either.

Thanks for the kind words J.P., glad you like the video.

All the best
    Gord

Thanks for the review, Gord.

I use my M12V in a JESSEM table, so cannot see any burning advantage to switch me to the M12VE, other than possibly a bit stubbier body(?). It seems to have lost its micro plunge height adjustment knob (was very useful when used free hand). Most of the other features seem pretty much the same. What might have swayed me would have been an auto spindle lock (or at least something better than having to push in a button with one hand while torquing the wrench with the other) -- maybe next version.

...Wayne

Blog Entries

Hi Wayne,

I agree, no need to run out and buy the M12VE just because it's out there.
    If however a woodworker was in the market for a 3 1/4 HP router in a small package (11 lbs) it is worthy of consideration.

All the best
    Gord

Hi Gord,

I have the old 12V in my router table and its great. In fact I just picked up another old style 12V brand new never used as a spare.
    Great review.
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    i hope this is a sign of things to come because i haven't been able to bring myself to buy any of the recent Hitachi stuff that looks like the Green Goblin's basketball shoe

Hello all - I have just joined the forum. Woodworking hobbiest in Vancouver - slowing preparing to step up from working in softwoods to hardwoods.

I have an old, loud and underpowered Craftsman fixed-base router, so I am thinking of getting a new router in the 2.25-3.25 HP range. I am torn between a 3.25 HP for the power or a 2.25 HP with two bases for the versatility. I would value thoughts and opinions.

Specifically for this thread, is there any significant, non-cosmetic improvements in the M12VE over the M12V2? It seems that this might herald a great time to get a bargain on Green Goblin's Running Shoe and, since I am planning to keep it under my router table, I am less concerned with appearances when there is money to be saved. (Perhaps I will make a curtain or a shroud to avoid the embarrassment in my shop.)

-Will

I must be the only one who likes the styling of the current Hitachi products. Whats wrong with style with our wood working tools.

I own this router and a Hitachi reciprocating saw and both work well for me.

Anyways there are a few features with the current model that I like that I don't see on the previous model and I did not see in the video by Gord.

First is the micro adjustment. On the current model it uses a set of half nuts that can be engaged or disengaged with a twist of a lever. This lets you plunge the router to the approximate depth quickly, then engaged the micro adjust and fine tune from there. I did not see this on the old model or the one reviewed by Gord. Actually, I have not seen it on any other router but I can't say I looked at a lot of them.

The second thing I really like is the position of the speed control. On the current model it is on the handle so if you need to make a speed adjustment while cutting it is as simple as moving your thumb to the dial. No need to take your hand off the handle. That is a good thing because this monster is not something you want to handle with one hand. I rarely use it handheld because of it's size, but when I need to these features make is better.

Just my 2 cent worth.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Negative_Zero View Post
    Hello all - I have just joined the forum. Woodworking hobbiest in Vancouver - slowing preparing to step up from working in softwoods to hardwoods.

I have an old, loud and underpowered Craftsman fixed-base router, so I am thinking of getting a new router in the 2.25-3.25 HP range. I am torn between a 3.25 HP for the power or a 2.25 HP with two bases for the versatility. I would value thoughts and opinions.

Specifically for this thread, is there any significant, non-cosmetic improvements in the M12VE over the M12V2? It seems that this might herald a great time to get a bargain on Green Goblin's Running Shoe and, since I am planning to keep it under my router table, I am less concerned with appearances when there is money to be saved. (Perhaps I will make a curtain or a shroud to avoid the embarrassment in my shop.)

-Will

I would ask whether the router is going to support any accessories I would want to use it with in the future. A Lee Valley bit-jack is a freekin' dream but it won't work with every router. Some routers are too wide to fit through the cut-out in the router table for the mounting plate and the handles can't be removed so you can't just lift the whole thing out and change the bits on your work-bench. Some of these routers are more expensive than a Freud and they are made in China and Malaysia while the Freud is (is it still?) made in Europe for less money. You figure that one out.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

I was able to embed Gord's video into his original post. Not quite as easy to do as Youtube, but doable nontheless!

Real Name
    Murray

Hello Gord
    I have the old m12v and was wondering if the template guide adaptor for porter cable style bushings is available seperately and would it fit the older model base.
    Murray

Blog Entries

Hi Murry

I can't answer your question because I don't know.
    I suspect that a quick email to Hitachi or to a Hitachi repair depot would yield an answer for you.

All the best
    Gord

Just got one of these bad boys today.... we learned really fast that the mastercraft router we bought half price for 100$ with a whole set of bits was not gonna do the job! Nothin but a toy... After wasting 80$ of wood because of the bit depth constantly changing on us, we knew a good router was gonna be a smart investment!

cant wait to try it!

Thanks Gord, for your video review earlier this year of the M12VE. Your comments were exactly what I was looking for to help me decide whether to buy one when KMS Tools recently put them on sale. It looks like it will be a great addition to my shop.

Not having used a plunge router before, I did a quick check on this forum to see how others like to use this type of router. I was kind of surprised to read that quite a few people prefer to mount them in their router tables. I can understand wanting to have lots of power in a table mounted router, but isn't it a waste of the plunge capability? I would think a high hp fixed base router would be a better (and cheaper) choice. Can anyone tell me if there are advantages to using a plunge router in a table setup?

Thanks
    Verne