FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "No-Slam" hinges for a toy box

Real Name
    Brent

Default "No-Slam" hinges for a toy box

Happy new year everyone!

I built a toy box (see pic) for a little girl and I need some system that will keep it from slamming. I have the below from Lee Valley, but I couldn't figure out how they would work with the dimensions I have, and they were very helpful (as always!) and confirmed that they would indeed not work. Does anyone have any other ideas for hinges that would keep it from slamming down? The darker part on the top is fixed and is about 3 1/2 inches wide and the top is about 1 1/16" thick. Any help would be great!

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...48&cat=3,41427
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Default Re: "No-Slam" hinges for a toy box

I don't know if you have looked at the Friction Lid Stays that LV sells?
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,43745&p=48640

They may work as they wouldn't rely as much on the location of the hinged pivot points.

Matt.

I used a set (i,e. two)

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41427,41390

for a lid about 36" x 60" 3/4" thick. They are adjustable for the weight of the lid. In my case the two were able to carry the big lid, but not much more.

They will lock in the open position and let the lid down slowly. It may be an issue for you to get them inside the box.
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

This is my recommendation. Somewhat difficult to figure out their installation, but they are the cat's meow as far as I am concerned.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41427,41390

If you happen to get them and would care to pm me your ph.# and a good time to call, I would walk you through the instructions.

Ash & Honey Locust Chests 014 (Small).jpg

This chest is just one of many that I have installed them on!
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Real Name
    Brent

Lee Valley is great, but sometimes I have a hard time navigating their hardware catalogue/website....probably because I don't know all the terminology yet.

Mack and Gene, do you have a sense of how well yours would work with the hinge recessed in from the back like I have? At first glance you'd think it wouldn't make a difference, but it makes the geometry slightly different, but also, the fact that the hinge (pivot point) is not where the bottom of the top meets the back of the chest, but where the top of the top meets the top of the strip along the back. Whenever I think about it, my brain gets a cramp. The one in the link I sent before was supposed to work in EXACTLY my situation, but because the top was 1 1/16" thick (and thus the pivot point was 1 1/16" above the top of the sides) it was out of range of the hinge.

Thanks a million guys!

B

Real Name
    Steve

Thius and another version at same site made specifically for it http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...%20box%20hinge

I built a toy chest for my son (Link: HERE)
    Here is a picture of it:

I used those spring loaded type hinges from Rockler (Link: HERE). They work very well!
    From Rockler's website:

I used two: one left side, and one right side mounted (note: the pic above shows the back mounted style which won't work for your lid). I needed the strongest ones to support the heavy solid lid. I think these would work for you too, but the back mount probably wouldn't work due to the dark fixed piece on the top. You would need to check the weight of your lid too and make sure they would support it. It looks quite heavy.

Hope this helps,
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
    Mack and Gene, do you have a sense of how well yours would work with the hinge recessed in from the back like I have? At first glance you'd think it wouldn't make a difference, but it makes the geometry slightly different, but also, the fact that the hinge (pivot point) is not where the bottom of the top meets the back of the chest, but where the top of the top meets the top of the strip along the back. Whenever I think about it, my brain gets a cramp. The one in the link I sent before was supposed to work in EXACTLY my situation, but because the top was 1 1/16" thick (and thus the pivot point was 1 1/16" above the top of the sides) it was out of range of the hinge.

Thanks a million guys!

B
    The ones Mack and I suggested are attached to the side of the box so they don't matter that the lid is not attached to the back. The ones I suggested might be a problem because of the long arm that moves into the box as the lid closes.
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

how about a small box in the corner on each side the width of the top hinge mount ,then fasten yor no slam hige to the small box and lid if i could draw i,d post a picture

Real Name
    Brent

Brendan, I actually have these hinges, but they won't work with my situation. I'll keep them and use them again I'm sure, but so far it looks like Mack's hinges are the best bet. Man, I'm learning a lot with this one...thanks for everyones help!

Check the Blum Aventos system:

http://www.blum.com/ie/en/01/10/index.php

Nap.

Real Name
    Brent

Mack, here's a pic of what it looks like on the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brent; Very similar to my situation. A tip I forgot to mention which helped me immensely was to make a small prototype of one side with some of your cutoffs. That will allow you to move the stay until you find it's proper location.

Mac gives good advice about a prototype to try the hinges in advance. Saves several unwanted holes being drilled in the finished product from incorrect hinge placement. DAMHIKT
    I have a bottomless box made of 4" plywood scraps that I use just for hinge test runs. Saves me having to cobble something together each time.
    Those blum hinges that Nap suggested are nice but pricey.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Real Name
    Brent

Well not THAT seems like a really smart idea! I think I can match the materials with two by material and spare plywood. I'll do that tonight and get back to you if I still need help. thanks!

B

Talking Re: "No-Slam" hinges for a toy box

Alternatively you could finish the interior of the box with BLO. No one ever would want to open it again. No opening = no slam

Nap.

Real Name
    Aman

Sorry to bring this thread back to live.

I have been visiting this site/forum since earlier this summer and have been reading and learning a lot.

I am trying to fix my sons toy box which was store purchased several years ago. I have replaced the hinges and added the 'stay' as show in picture below, last night.

Pic

The 'stay' seems to work well with one exception: When I try and close the lid, it goes down slowly up until about 1/2 way, and then 'slam', it hits the box. I was hoping for it to be slow closing all the way.

My question: Is that how it's suppose to work? What am I doing wrong? Did I install this correctly? Is the related to the lid weight? Maybe I need two 'stay's'?

Any help/feedback would be really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    ~Aman
    Last edited by jacksonjohn83; 11-25-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Fixing the picture link

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonjohn83 View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back to live.

I have been visiting this site/forum since earlier this summer and have been reading and learning a lot.

I am trying to fix my sons toy box which was store purchased several years ago. I have replaced the hinges and added the 'stay' as show in picture below, last night.

Pic

The 'stay' seems to work well with one exception: When I try and close the lid, it goes down slowly up until about 1/2 way, and then 'slam', it hits the box. I was hoping for it to be slow closing all the way.

My question: Is that how it's suppose to work? What am I doing wrong? Did I install this correctly? Is the related to the lid weight? Maybe I need two 'stay's'?

Any help/feedback would be really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    ~Aman
    Hello Aman; Looking at your pic they seem to be installed correctly. There is a screw/bolt sticking out on top that I think should be screwed in. I think you'll find that will slow down the top.

For all the cost $20.00 I'd install one on the other side as well. I always use 2.

As you foundout from the guys, there are many sources, but i might add one more feature, As shown in Brenden's post, the top edge of the box relieved to lessen contact points to protect fingers, but it also/too provides air passage in case tykes climb inside and don't sufficate. Consider this in your project. Just saying...
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mack C. in Brooklin ON View Post
    Hello Aman; Looking at your pic they seem to be installed correctly. There is a screw/bolt sticking out on top that I think should be screwed in. I think you'll find that will slow down the top.

For all the cost $20.00 I'd install one on the other side as well. I always use 2.
    Agreed!

I recently used these on a toychest, as well, and required two in order to get correct results given the weight of my lid. L/V provided me with a chart denoting the supported height/width ranges for a single stay with a wood of specific density of 0.5 that was quite helpful.

My top was actually slightly heavier, so I tweaked the position of the side mounts forward slightly in order for them to witness more forward pressure throughout the arc of the top, rather then full downward pressure (if that makes any sense...)

--Jeff