FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell/Beaver Tablesaw

Jim in Winnpeg Guest

Default Rockwell/Beaver Tablesaw

I recently got a contractors table saw from my father in law. I would like to know if it is worth cleaning up and putting a new fence on it to replace my Delta QT-100.

It is a Rockwell/Beaver, I believe that Cat# is 6201 and the serial is 45175.

Would anybody know how to get information on this saw?

Much appreciated, Thanks.

Default Re: Rockwell/Beaver Tablesaw *LINK*

http://www.oldwwmachines.com/ There are a couple of links to have a look at see how much arbour runout there is and depending on what you want to do with the saw if you cut thick hardwood all the time maybe not worth it but thin kerf blade and a good cleaning and restoreing it'll probably be good for a life time of use.

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/

Felix in Brampton Guest

Default Re: Rockwell/Beaver Tablesaw

Hello;

Literature is available from Delta in Guelph, (Ontario) if you phone with the model number and serial, or I can mail you a copy of the manual, if you pass along your address.

The 6201 is a decent heavy saw, I has one for a while. The trunnions are a little on the light side and it has plastic handwheels, etc. It's predecessor (6200) was beefier. I never found the 9" blade size a detriment.

It can benefit from having at least a 3/4 hp motor. As I recall, the table width (front to back) is shallow which limits your options on aftermarket fences (a Mule Accufence will work). If you can find an original fence, that would be your cheapest option, but be aware that it (the original fence) is nothing to write home about.

Felix

Jim in Winnpeg Guest

I didn't even realize it was a 9" saw. I only looked at it to get the serial numbers.

Perhaps with the small table it is not worth trying to fix up.

Phil McKenna in North Bay Guest

HI, I have a Rockwell Beaver 8.5" in my basement and an Accusquare fence, great little saw. It must be at least 25yrs old. I bought it used from a friend who was no longer doing construction work. It cleaned up well and I had no adjustments to make even though it had been stored for about ten years. I will continue to use for many years to come. Enjoy!

I have an 8" Beaver saw that my father purchased, probably at least 40 years ago. It still run well and I added Dave Wooland's fence a few year ago. My only problem is that I can't tilt the blade properly.
    The motor is fixed and when the blade is tilted to 45, the belt starts to twist and it flies off the pulleys. If the blade is raised high enough, it seems to work but that's not safe.
    Anyone have a similar problem?

Quote Originally Posted by johnm View Post
    I have an 8" Beaver saw that my father purchased, probably at least 40 years ago. It still run well and I added Dave Wooland's fence a few year ago. My only problem is that I can't tilt the blade properly.
    The motor is fixed and when the blade is tilted to 45, the belt starts to twist and it flies off the pulleys. If the blade is raised high enough, it seems to work but that's not safe.
    I've never heard of one with the belt driven motor fixed. On every one I've seen the motor tilts with the blade. Was the motor mount a home made arrangement perhaps.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

the motor should tilt with the blade mechanism, somebody's lost or broken the tilt arm

i too have an old beaver 1200 in pieces with no plans to use it(broken cast table), i got it free with a lathe

maybe some of my saw parts will help you
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Quote Originally Posted by johnm View Post
    john i sent you a pm, but if my little unused 1200 is any good to you, its yours, i got it free so.....

i will be in fredericton/st john nb posibly the annapolis valley/ north shore of ns in august, i can bring it with me and we can arrange a meet somewhere

johnm, i sent the pm to bitmugger by mistake but have forwarded to you, steve
    Last edited by stevem; 06-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Winnpeg View Post
    I recently got a contractors table saw from my father in law. I would like to know if it is worth cleaning up and putting a new fence on it to replace my Delta QT-100.

It is a Rockwell/Beaver, I believe that Cat# is 6201 and the serial is 45175.

Would anybody know how to get information on this saw?

Much appreciated, Thanks.
    check this link:

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3968

yes i would say that its well worth a lot of tlc, the old beaver fence system like others of that era was nothing compared to todays mechanical marvels, but its also lasted 50 plus years, im sure my ridgid 3650 will be junk long before that time

beaver/rockwell made dozens of tablesaw designs from the early tilttable before the 2nd ww to the tiny but cast iron 1200 and of course the delta/rockwell unisaw
    steve, sarnia, ont

I have a Rockwell Beaver 9 inch tilting arbor. Mine is a 6201. I bought it from a friend who knew his stuff. He insisted on overhauling it before selling. We did it together and I had to replace the worm and sector gears. The top and two wings are cast iron, making the saw a heavy one.

At the same time, my friend removed the right wing and made and installed a router station there.

I bought an "Accusquare" fence system to replace the poor original. The fence and saw are now great and I would not like to change it.

The 9" blade is not a problem for me and I easily found spare rip and cross cut carbide thin kerf blades for it.

I added a plywood extension table and on the advice of my friend, added a longer face to the fence.

I do not use the tilt mechanism as I am afraid that it would be hard on the sector gear. Instead, I built a jig that will hold my material at 45º but have not needed it much at all.

I had the motor rewired for 220 volts.

I am very pleased with this saw.

Reach Mule Cabinet Maker [Accusquare] at 750 778 5585 Newmarket, ON.

Hope this helps.

Woodie

Real Name
    Steve Morris

strangely enough, ive owned tablesaws for over 40 years and ripped and crosscut thousands of pieces or even 100's of thousands, and very rarely have i ever used the bevel function of any tablesaw, infact my ridgid 3650 has probably ripped less than 100 feet at a 45 degree bevel and certainly not with any degree of accuracy, its always followed by a cleanup on a jointer anyway

miter gauges are no better, mines in the "big bottom drawer" somewhere

a cradle to hold a workpiece is far better for bevels and a crosscut sled is far superior to a miter guage

a jointer will put a dead accurate bevel on a workpiece far quicker than a tablesaw
    steve, sarnia, ont

I have a Rockwell/Beaver model 34050 10 inch table saw and am having difficulty finding a replacement gear sector part no. 422-08-051-0001 which is no longer made. Anyone got the piece and want to part with it?

Real Name
    Steve Morris

post a pic of your saw and the broken part, these sector gears were known for breaking and new replacement ones maybe avilable from delta but of course the old beaver partno is obsolete

another place to try is:

http://www.owwm.org/

another temporary solution is to braze the part back to gether and lock the saw in the verticle position
    steve, sarnia, ont

I tore my Rockwell Beaver down, cleaned and repainted everything and reassembled it. Everything's super smooth moving now but the motor vibration on DADO blades causes the blade to lower itself.

The sector gears and worm drive all seem fine and the blade does move nice and smooth. The locking knob on the crank handle doesn't seem to do anything (IE it seems it doesn't have a function, not that it's broken).

This is a 6200 I think by the way.

put a good quality cast iron pulley on the motor if you don't have one on there now. check that it fits the motor shaft properly
    “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitmugger View Post
    I tore my Rockwell Beaver down, cleaned and repainted everything and reassembled it. Everything's super smooth moving now but the motor vibration on DADO blades causes the blade to lower itself.

The sector gears and worm drive all seem fine and the blade does move nice and smooth. The locking knob on the crank handle doesn't seem to do anything (IE it seems it doesn't have a function, not that it's broken).

This is a 6200 I think by the way.
    It's been several years since I had mine apart so I don't recall the details but there is an adjustment for the lock knob. If it's not locking, it's out of adjustment.
    As I said, I don't recall the details but there should be a set collar somewhere on the threaded shaft that raises and lowers the blade that needs to be set closer to the front of the saw.
    HTH
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I'll try this again but this time with pictures. My Beaver saw has a fixed motor causing the belt to fly off when the motor is tilted to 45 degrees. A lesser angle is o.k. but at 45, the belt is too twisted. I don't need to do it very often but every once in a while ...
    Here are some pictures of the saw. I don't know what model it is because there is no id plate on the saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve Morris

that looks like my new to me 3200 beaver, just picked it up from a yardsale for 40 bucks

sorry john, the parts from the old 1200 wont fit

thats an OLD 3200 or 2200, its badged callender foundry, same as mine so late 40's early 50's

model no and ser no should be on a plate just above the beaver name tag

if you really treasure the saw for some reason, sentimental, love of old machinery etc etc, you should consider finding another for the parts you need. they are plentiful in sw ontario and go for as little as 40 bucks
    steve, sarnia, ont