FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: square downspouts?

Default square downspouts?

I've noticed downspout tubing sold at my local big box stores (HD, Lowes) are a rectangular size, not sure exactly what.

The stuff on my house is square (with rounded corners of course), maybe 2.5 inches per edge.

Is this some standard size? I cannot seem to find information on it on the net. I expect all the houses built by my builder in this subdivision to use this same downspout size.

(A favorite retailer of mine sells accessories that work with 2x3 and 3x4 inch downspouts, but alas, these are all non-fitting for my home.)

Thanks!

-- Daniel

Default Re: square downspouts?

Check the Yellow Pages for Aluminum retailers, (independents) they usually supply the tradespeople and they will have all the stuff you need.
    We're all mature until somebody pulls out the bubble wrap.

go to an old time 'building supplies' place, not big-box stores. try roofing suppliers. square downspout is not that hard to find and it is better

Sounds like 3x3 pipe to me, allows greater water flow when you really need it, just had it installed on my house with an eavestrough upgrade. Any decent building supply centre should have it.

There are 2 standard sized aluminum downspouts around here for residential buildings 2x3 and 3x3. You can get them from building product suppliers like Bondcor or from any siding or exterior reno contractors.

Hi Daniel,

The same problem drove me nuts when I needed 2 new elbows. We got some (2-5/8"x2-5/8") at a place on Steven Court in Newmarket (they even had my colour in stock) - the name escapes me now and for the life of me I can't see it in the yellow pages. I thought it was Can-Cro, but they seem to just do installations. While this name is totally unfamiliar to me, this place on the same road sells it (3"x3" as well): http://www.buchnermfg.com/downc.htm

Edit - the website shows they're located in Pefferlaw, but Canada411.com says:

599 Steven Court,
    Newmarket, ON L3Y 6Z3
    905-836-1033

Hope this helps.

Denis
    Last edited by denis; 01-24-2010 at 12:21 AM.

I've found that if you just reshape the elbow perimeter a bit you can substitute the rectangular for the square and vice-versa.
    It's easy to alter the shape of thin aluminum pipe.

I took a look at my local Home Depot store again this evening:
    The declared size of the vinyl downspouts sold was 2in x 3in. The cross-sectional area looked larger than that of my square aluminum downspouts.

Thanks for the pointers to real building supply centers.

(I guess what irks me is that I can't use all the nifty accessories sized for rectangular spouts that I see. Or maybe I'm suspicious of the builder.)

dchsueh,

I see from your profile that you're in the GTA. I replaced a downspout on my house last summer. I also went to HD and found that what they carried wasn't suitable - not the right shape and not the right colour either. Mine are the square aluminum type, 2 5/8 x 2 5/8. This is probably what you have.

Maple Roofing Supplies on Newkirk in Richmond Hill is where I went. South of Elgin Mills between Yonge and Bayview. This place carries pretty much only roofing and rainware. I took an elbow off one of my downspouts, brought it with me to their store and matched it to the samples on display. For reference, I checked my invoice and elbows cost about $2 each and 10 ft downspouts were about $12. They are even open on Saturdays until noon.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Legacy; 01-26-2010 at 10:40 PM.