FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

Default Re: To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

My last one was baseboard trim. I was finishing the trim and the last inside corner took 8 trips from the house to the garage to get it to fit (and one to the home depot to buy more baseboard ).
    Last edited by gvince4; 01-28-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Cant spell baseboard 1/2 the time!

I was building two desks for my nephews for Christmas using mortise and tenon for the apron to leg joints (8 legs 16 mortises). When making up the legs (laminating) I realized that I should have cut some extra material to use as test pieces to setup the mortises. I found that some of the boards were longer than the rest and I put them together in one leg so that I would have scrap on one end to do a practice mortise.
    Fast forward a bit, I have the legs glued and dressed, one end trimmed and the mortises marked from that end. I have done the test mortise on the extra long leg and am plowing the mortises using my drill press attachment square chisel mortise.
    When I slide the leg to the right to do the last cut on the last mortise on the last leg it hits the wall of the shop. ¼ inch more and I would be done. I quickly realize that this is the longer leg and that is why none of the other legs hit the wall. Instead of trying to move the drill press I decided I would take a quick cut off the end of the leg. The end had served it purpose as a test area for the mortises anyway. I took the leg over to the band saw to chop off about 3 inches. Halfway through the cut I saw the nearly complete mortise beside the band saw blade and realized I was cutting the wrong end of the leg. There was no way to salvage the leg. I had to start over and quickly glue up another leg.

Dave

Real Name
    Jim

Why just tonight I thought really, really carefully and still cut a biscuit into the side instead of end of a joint. Gave up and came in for a drink.

Real Name
    Ed

This is an awesome thread .... makes me feel normal

Just after Christmas I started in on my media cabinet. It was going to hold my subwoofer, receiver, satellite receiver, dvd player and Wii. That's 6 items - I figure a shelf per item. Routed my dados (6 of them) - done. Looking good so far. Now to route the edges of the shelves to fit the dados. Ah, here they are - all 5 precut shelves. 5!!!!! Doh!!!!! I forgot I had done a set of measurements a couple of months before in which my Wii was going to go on the same shelf as the DVD player. Not any more. Had to cut the top of the sides of at the location of the top most dado. Either that or buy another sheet of maple ply to get a 20"x18" piece.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try

My most recent one isn't woodworking related, either.

I was flown into Winnipeg to train a bunch of guys at the sewage treatment plant in the use and maintenance of their "Scum Disposal System" (yes, it really is as glamorous as it sounds ) Anyway, I didn't build the panel, and the VFD wasn't a brand that I had dealt with before, but I had been told that I *wasn't* doing the training on the electrical - only the mechanical. There were two electricians there to train on the electrical. Okay, fine. So the electricians do their bit, for a grand total of about four minutes ("that's the start button, that's the e-stop, and that over there... that's an e-stop, too.") Someone asked if the conveyor could be reversed. People start looking at me. I hadn't looked up anything about that VFD so while I know that you should be able to reverse it, I don't know what all the VFD programmer might have done to keep the operators from doing that. I told them I wasn't familiar with that particular VFD, but I'd be happy to go through the manuals with them after the presentation and get an answer to that question. A guy runs up and says they have lots of those VFDs and he can do it. He starts pushing buttons. The spidey senses are tingling at this point. Soon, he's pushed lots of buttons, and the machine doesn't work any more. He leaves. I'm left as the center of attention for about 20 guys as I mutter terrible things under my breath as I figure out how to get this bleedin' VFD to co-operate again to run the machine. It took me a good 10 minutes to get it working again, and it was a loooooong 10 minutes.
    Oh, and did I mention they were filming the presentation for posterity?
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

The list is way too long, but if you narrow it down to "Lately" As I haven't been doing any shop work until lately....

At the present time I am trying to make a picture fram from Old Barn Siding. A friend has a super nice print he wants framed, With a recient purchase of several farm acres he aquired 3 old barns that are being held up by the trees that grew around them. Hewn posts and beams w/ some really neat mortice & pegged tenon joints . what a shame to loose that wood. So he offered siding from the barn for the wood, It is difficult to get enough stright pieces to construct a frame , but I have been trying and I think I am settling in on a do-able results. Keeping the natural edge as much as possible has been a challange. I have wasted a lot of wood as well as amassed a pile of kindling pieces. And the Smell..... Old Yellow Pine, The aroma as it goes through the TS.... Might as well snort Turpentine and be done with it. (Wife calls down, "You spill the Lysole")

Then the other pieces that must have been an Outhouse in its former life. Geeze, that fragerance still haunts me....

After much failure in the process, I determined to plane the thickness with the exposed texture down as I ran through the planer. this uniform thickness and flat surface made the whole process easier. Using the router table and several jigs I was able to trim the "inside" edge and cut the groove for the glass and backing, to a satisfactry result. I brushed with a brass wire brush to clean the mud and loose fibers and gave a couple coats of Satin Poly spray, last night, I'm hoping that will stabilize it's condition so I can cut the miters today.

Will post pix when finished.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Real Name
    Adam

This is a fairly therapeutic thread

It's nice to know I'm not the only one cutting on the wrong side of the line.

I posted about doing this in a thread a few months back, but the gyst of the issue came when I was gluing up a panel that had 30 dowel holes. I apparently drilled one of the holes too shallow. And of course, I didn't bother to dry fit with a dowel in each hole. I dry fit the panel and all seemed to fit very well. But, when it came to glue up time, I applied the glue to all the dowels and put the clamps on. That is when it became apparent that one of the holes was too shallow. Panel has since been cut up and fed into the fireplace.

Saturday afternoon glued up the last but one draw for my lower kitchen cupboards complete with nice box joints & perfectly square. Sunday morning grabbed a coffee, unclamped the draw & proceeded with the last one. It was a bugger to keep square, kept moving. When I unclamped it a couple of hrs later I saw why. Forgot to put the bottom in. Should have had one more coffee before starting.
    Paul W.

I made some cabinets for my daughter Kathleen for Christmas. They were to go into her basement rec room.

On Boxing Day, I went to her house to install the cabinets and found that they would not fit down her narrow basement staircase.

In the next week or two, I plan to start a thread about this screw-up and how I recovered from it.
    Cheers,
    Frank

Since I have yet to build the "perfect" piece....pretty much anytime I am in the shop I am guaranteed some sort of issue.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaP View Post
    Since I have yet to build the "perfect" piece....pretty much anytime I am in the shop I am guaranteed some sort of issue.
    I hear that... in fact I was going to say as much. I just keep thinking "maybe next time" every time I get done with a piece. Sometimes I even get painfully close to having a project finished, and think "maybe I won't screw-up this time."

My dad has a framed sign above his work bench that says "Perfect is good enough."

Mine should say:
    "Laughably naive and enthusiastically optimistic!"
    It's not the destination, but the journey that is important.

Here is one big screw-up on my part:
    was building a coffee table with M/T joints all around. Dry fit: fine, everything looks good. As to reduce the amount of stress of gluing multiple pieces at once I decided to do only a few at a time. The coffee table had a base with drawers and on the tops the aprons were also M/T.

Glued up the base for the drawers and my wife came to see how it is going.
    Asks me: aren't those upper pieces supposed to be glued at the same time? Yeap! the appron cannot be fitted between the glued legs anymore

Mine happened the other day I spent most of the day turning a genie bottle from eucalyptus, really tough going and it was my first really deep vessel and trying out a home made deep hollowing tool and was doing a pretty good job.I kept about 1/2in on the bottom to give it some weight but had the sides thinner. The narrow neck was about 1/4 thick and I got tired of the hollowing so I decided to touch up the outside and then the sound changed, and instantly I knew what I did -a yelled a verry loud NOOOOO! I stopped the lathe and saw my over ambitious thinning. I blew the wall right out. 8 hours gone down the tubes(so to speak).I decided to tell my Wife the genie got out on his own. This was 2 days ago and you can see how much the vessel has shrunk and cracked.The pinkish wood is a beautiful red while turning.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jim

What happens in the forum stays in the forum, right? Interestingly, not a single person has ever noticed, and the stool works perfectly.

I like that stool. What might have been even cooler would have been to do an Escher-esque thing with all of the rungs rising in one direction like a never-ending staircase.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

I tried to make peppermill (the shorter one). I had it finished with laquer. Tried to bring it to work for the hole but only damaged with chuck mark from the metal lathe and never got holed. I bought a 1" auger bit but I could not grab it because it's already rounded and smooth. I grab another wood (the tall one) and drill 1" hole. Made a spindle (mandrel) and glue one end of the blank. When it was done, I reverse the rotation for sanding. Then the motor blew. I look in the scraps to make the head. I patiently shaped it with a dremmel. For the shorter one, I used a small drill bit and drill many times to make larger hole. I made plug from scrap to fit the salt shaker attatchments. Here are my unfinished salt and pepper but are usable. The vase in the picture is my master piece but still with a shallow hole.

I'm in the process of making another head stock. I got another scrap motor from PA. I hope I will be turning again this weekend.

18. Default Re: To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

Kerfin, when I saw that stool I started to chuckle but stopped when my back started to spasm. Unfortunately I was still staring at it and started chuckling again, Ouch, ouch move the picture out of site.

The router table I am building in a shop course I am taking was suppose to be 33" wide. Unfortunately when I was drawing up the plan I had the back placed between the gables & the bottom & top. which was 31 3/4". The instructor said to put it outside the sides & bottom & top. You guessed it; I never changed the length on the plan. Strange thing is that only the length was affected. The height is fine. So my router table will be 31 3/4" wide. Oh well! It will fit into my car easier now.

Quote Originally Posted by KT in London View Post
    And of course, I didn't bother to dry fit with a dowel in each hole. I dry fit the panel and all seemed to fit very well. But, when it came to glue up time, I applied the glue to all the dowels and put the clamps on. That is when it became apparent that one of the holes was too shallow.

I been there before (except it wasn't a panel but a set of face frames) problem is.... It was not my first time...
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Every project I tackle keeps my ego in check...
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain