FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Another thread about fluorescents

Default Another thread about fluorescents

Ballasts in two of the 8 foot twin bulb fixtures in the shop are bad - one has a loud hum and the other the lights just don't work. I went to the Kent's outlet and got two replacements. They only carry one kind. I opened up the fixtures thinking this was an easy job - big surprise, it's not. I was assured the new ballasts are good for 2 75 watt bulbs but they do not look the same as the old ones. The old ballasts have one blue and one red wire coming out one end and only single black and single white out the other end. The bulbs are single pin bulbs. (It's not the bulbs, I bought new ones). The new ballasts have two red wires and two blue wires at one end and the other end has two yellow wires as well as a black wire and a white wire.

Is there any way to get these new ballasts wired into my old fixtures? Or will I have to go to a specialty electrical shop for replacement ballasts?

Pat

Real Name
    Todd Robert

Default Re: Another thread about fluorescents

Sounds like the new ballasts are HIGH OUTPUT ballasts which are normally used outdoors whereas the ballasts that are in the fixtures are typically used in fixtures indoors.
    If you want me to make it i need this new tool first

Real Name
    J.P.

It seems to me the ones with yellow wires are used for tubes with two pins on each end.
    I don't know much about ballasts so maybe they can be used on both types.
    There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast label. If you need to, post a picture of the diagram and perhaps we can help you out with it. Also note the number and colour of wires coming from each of the sockets.
    FWIW
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    Ballasts in two of the 8 foot twin bulb fixtures in the shop are bad - one has a loud hum and the other the lights just don't work. I went to the Kent's outlet and got two replacements. They only carry one kind. I opened up the fixtures thinking this was an easy job - big surprise, it's not. I was assured the new ballasts are good for 2 75 watt bulbs but they do not look the same as the old ones. The old ballasts have one blue and one red wire coming out one end and only single black and single white out the other end. The bulbs are single pin bulbs. (It's not the bulbs, I bought new ones). The new ballasts have two red wires and two blue wires at one end and the other end has two yellow wires as well as a black wire and a white wire.

Is there any way to get these new ballasts wired into my old fixtures? Or will I have to go to a specialty electrical shop for replacement ballasts?

Pat
    Pat,
    The last time I replaced ballasts they cost $20.00 ea. A new fixture could be had for $18.00 on sale. These were 4 foot. I just upgraded the lighting in my shop. I put in 8 foot Lithonia TC232MVOLT1/4GEB10IS fixture @$55.53 ea.
    One ballast, 4 - 4ft tubes in each strip.
    I don't know how this compares to the cost of your ballasts, but certainly if you cannot get an exact match, you may be spinning your wheels on this.
    Depending on the age of you fixtures, it may be time for a complete changeout.
    A competent electrical supplier should be able to cross over your old ballast using the old part number. Return the ballast you purchased and don't waste your time or your life by trying to "cobble" something together. It just ain't worth it!!

Don

Thanks for the replies guys. Don you're right - I got the wrong ballasts and will return them tomorrow. I'll go to the local electrical contractor and order some proper ones. New fixtures with two 8 foot bulbs are well over a hundred bucks so I hope the ballasts are a bit cheaper.