FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: finish for walnut?

ben Guest

Default finish for walnut?

Hi, I'm making a jewelry box of american walnut, and wondering what finish to use. I was thinking of putting a few coats of oil finish, like tung oil, but last time I used tung oil on a small cupboard, it stank for months (it was the Circa tung oil with dark stain in it), but maybe the clear tung oil would not smell? Anyone has experienced a good finish for black walnut?

Thanks

Ben

P.S: I'm a hobbyist trying to minimise mistakes, learning the hard way sometimes becomes really irritating...

Jamie in Brantford Guest

Default Re: finish for walnut?

I made a walnut jewelry box and used 1/3 BLO, 1/3 varsol, 1/3 polyeurethane, and 1/3 TLC. Turned out good. I later used Johnson's Paste Wax on it and it was even nicer.

Ken_in_Regina Guest

Oil ... either polymerized tung oil or boiled linseed oil (BLO) ... is one of the nicest ways to finish walnut. The oil gives it a deep rich color and if you have the patience you can apply a few coats and buff it up to a nice soft lustre. Or you can use hard paste wax over just a coat or two of oil and buff the paste wax up.

Or you can use a wipe-on poly over just a coat or two of oil and select the shininess you want. Two or three light coats of wipe-on satin poly will give you a nice natural look without looking like plastic and it will be so thin a film that your piece will still feel like wood.

Only time and air will get rid of the smell of any oil based product.

Or you can cover it up with something that doesn't smell. Clear shellac, water-borne poly or spray-on lacquer will all do the trick.

In any case, to get the best finish you need to let the oil (tung or BLO) cure completely before doing anything over top (wax or poly).

ben Guest

Great information, thank you very much, apreciated.

I think oil then wax looks interesting...

I'll get some at LV and try on a small piece.

Good day

Ben in Ottawa/Gatineau

Peter in Hawkestone Guest

Default a shameless unaffiliated plug...

I am partial to the Circa1850 antique oil, and their paste varnish.
    The oil, I like so much since it does not change the colour or the shade of the wood, merely pops it. I used Watco on some cocobolo I have and am now regreting that decision for the darkening of the colour. Watco is a good product, don't get me wrong, just the colour change was un-wanted. The Circa oil goes on easily, applied in thin layers and buffed a little, gives such a deep satiny lustre to the wood.
    The paste varnish is such a forgiving top coat. Wipe it on, buff until you feel the cloth go "smooth" and move on. No worries about keeping wet edges, no worries about the inevitable dust particles settling into the finish, because they don't, just sit on top. A light sanding with a pad or 0000 steel wool and the shine of the finish can be controled.
    For a professional saw dust maker such as myself, still struggling with design balances, joinery issues and detail, fighting with a finish is just a little too much right now. With that combination, I do not worry.
    Oh yeah, the paste varnish can be tinted with an oil stain. It won't become a full colour but will give suggestions of shades.

Mike Harris, London Guest

Default Re: finish for walnut? *PIC*

Hi Ben

Most everyone else has see this. A walnut coffee table with 2 coats of BLO, first coat thinned 50% with mineral spirits, then 4 coats of lacquer.

The most important thing I've found is to make sure the BLO is dry. I've let pieces sit as long as a month to be sure the BLO is dry.

Seeing as your jewelery box won't see heavy use, BLO then wax is probably fine.

Mike

Default Re: a shameless unaffiliated plug...

Peter

I used to use the Circa paste varnish as well, leaves a deep rich finish and like you say dust isnt a problem.

Never been a big fan of BLO or Tongue oil, too much work but many folks love it as its inexpensive and if time is your friend then it also leaves a deep rich finish.

For a more depth of finish as too many coats of lacquer cause stress checking with time, one can alternate coats with high gloss followed by satin or visa versa.

cheers