FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Sale at HD this weekend - 20% off

Default Sale at HD this weekend - 20% off

In case you haven't heard all power tools at Home Depot are 20% off this weekend. I don't know if this includes all the big stuff though. Happy shopping!
    He who laughs last..............probably didn't get it

Default Re: Sale at HD this weekend - 20% off

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    In case you haven't heard all power tools at Home Depot are 20% off this weekend. I don't know if this includes all the big stuff though. Happy shopping!

the radio ad I heard seemed directed towards cordless drills and combo packs.

I thought the flyer just said cordless tools???
    Chad of all trades

I'm looking at the HD email right now. It's 20% off ALL cordless drills, impact drivers and combo kits only, instore and online, today through Sunday.

Also, today's hammer drop item is a Hoover SteamVac for $99.
    Last edited by Gary in Waterdown; 03-04-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added days.

Real Name
    Ryan

I'm a little ticked off at HD over this, really.

I've been saving up my pennies and waiting very (im)patiently for a framing nailer to go on sale.

Two days ago I heard the adds for this start on the radio, and they are, I think, incredibly misleading.

The add says something very similar to "home depot has a solution for all those old power tools...new powertools! This thursday through sunday you can get brand new powertools for 20% off at our power tool event!" and so on.

Now, when I heard that, I was at first excited, because I thought "sweet! I can finally get that framing nailer!" But then I started to wonder whether or not air tools would officially count as a "power tool" and be included in the "power tool event."

So when I got home I checked the website and looked at the flyer, and lo, behold, as it turns out the only thing included in this great sale is cordless tools!

I mean, what is that??

Are cordless tools "power tools"? Well, yes, technically I guess they are, but I think that in general parlance we'd be more likely to call them "cordless tools". A phrase like "power tools" immediately makes me think of corded tools, i.e. tools that run off of "power" (by which we primarily mean corded power, e.g. when the power lines go down in a storm or something we say "the power's out again, get the candles.")

So, good grief geeze louise, not only are air tools not included in their "power tools event," but man, even "power tools" are not included!

If they want to have a cordless tool event, then great, but I wish they would advertise it as such, and stop getting people's hopes up that it might be more than it really is!

I'll definitely stop in HD this weekend to check out the goods! Thanks for the heads up

Cheers

I would have thought that the Dewalt router with 3 bases be a 'power tool'. I am waiting for that sale.

I was po'd as well that it's only cordless tools, as mentioned above, they should advertise as cordless sale, not power tool sale.

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

The solution is simple, stop shopping at Home Depot.

You know that they don't have the variety of tools available from a tool supplier, nor are they willing to support you when you want to order an accessory for a tool.

They don't give you the personal attention you can receive through your local supplier, there isn't a single person in Home Depot that knows me by name.

When I walk into Wellbeck Sawmill, I get a "Hello Rod" from the staff, same as Century Mill, same as Felder.

All family owned businesses with a focus on me, the customer.

So do yourself a favour and start up a working relationship with a supplier that can supply all those features that the big box stores can't.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by callee View Post
    I'm a little ticked off at HD over this, really.

I've been saving up my pennies and waiting very (im)patiently for a framing nailer to go on sale.
    Hi Callee,

A little off topic, but I'm surprised you didn't scoop up the Mastercraft framing nailer that was on sale a few weeks back. $99 I think. Picked it up myself (with $20 of ct money!) It's mostly plastic, so maybe not designed to be abused full-time on a job site, but I couldn't say no for the price. Works pretty slick. And $300 cheaper then a Bostitch.

Cheers
    Erron
    ---
    The grain has more direction then me sometimes.

...I've been saving up my pennies and waiting very (im)patiently for a framing nailer to go on sale...
    Sweet, I've got the coil nailer and quite like it (although I don't have many miles on it yet, mostly just reno projects like last fall's shed). I haven't had many misfires yet, about the only problem I've had is the bump/single fire button rotating on its own under pressure from my finger on the trigger. I'm a single fire kinda guy, since I don't do much framing, I prefer being able to place the nose, check that all limbs and fingers are out of the way, then fire. Made for a few surprise nail entries when the trigger creeped over to bump nailing when I wasn't expecting it.

John
    Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Sugarbush near Horeseshoe Valley, Ontario
    Real Name
    Don

I just returned with a Ridgit drill for $159.
    The other option was the Milwaukee combo for $199 but I do not need the impact drill again with 3 already.
    Ridgit will certainly be better than my King 18V that has already been replaced twice due to the torque clutch breaking down.
    But I would like to add that all my other King stuff is working fine.
    CHEERS
    Don B

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Erron in Arnprior View Post
    Hi Callee,

A little off topic, but I'm surprised you didn't scoop up the Mastercraft framing nailer that was on sale a few weeks back. $99 I think. Picked it up myself (with $20 of ct money!) It's mostly plastic, so maybe not designed to be abused full-time on a job site, but I couldn't say no for the price. Works pretty slick. And $300 cheaper then a Bostitch.

Cheers
    Erron
    Hey Erron,

You're right, I do have a lot of mastercraft and MCM tools that I really like and that serve me well, but I was convinced that the framing nailer would not be one of them, even at that price.

Over the last year I've been using a framing nailer pretty heavy duty almost every day in some of the toughest scenarios. We've been framing outside all winter, and when your nailer is so frozen solid that it's all you can do to spray it all over with lube and then hold the working parts in front of the generator exhaust for 5 minutes, that's when you know you're testing it far beyond what the manufacturer expected!

All that to say, I've been able to develop a pretty good lsit of criteria of what I'm looking for.

The weakness of the Mastercraft nailer is, I believe, foremost in the excessive use of plastic. It would not hold up, especially not in the cold. Further, I believe it is underpowered. One guy on the crew did in fact scoop up that nailer, and so I watched its performance with interest. It consistantly failed to sink the nail on angle shots (i.e. when the gun was on an angle to the surface so that the tip was not in full contact). Having to counter sink nails that have been toenailed into a tight awkward corner is tough - tough to get your hammer in, resulting in bruised knuckles!

The metal cased nailers, such as the stanley or the old PC which I used extensively, they perform great, but man are they heavy! Wears out your arm by the end of day.

Milwaukee marketed a white metal (magnesium) cased nailer a while ago, and my boss picked up a few of those. I've been really impressed with them. They freeze up in the cold a little more often than the others, but the performance was great, and the recoil was much more comfortable. The only problem was that the chamber was just too short. You could fit only 1 1/2 clips of nails. Clips don't come in 1/2 clips though, which meant that you had to use half a clip before you could load another in. In other words, you were constantly reloading! The other problem was that the shorter chamber meant that the gun was shorter than 16" centres, which meant you couldn't just lay it across two joists and have it sit there.

I decided therefore that the milwaukee would be perfect, if only the chamber were longer.

Well, I think I have found just that in the Ridgid nailer. I've inspected it quite thoroughly, even taking it apart some and inspecting some parts, and I'm convinced that they are the same gun, except that the Ridgid has a longer chamber. This makes sense, since both Ridgid and Milwaukee are manufactured by the TTI factory. Plus, I'm already such a fan of ridgid, and the lifetime service agreement is a real selling point. For all those reasons then, I'm waiting for the ridgid to go on sale.

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The solution is simple, stop shopping at Home Depot.

You know that they don't have the variety of tools available from a tool supplier, nor are they willing to support you when you want to order an accessory for a tool.

They don't give you the personal attention you can receive through your local supplier, there isn't a single person in Home Depot that knows me by name.

When I walk into Wellbeck Sawmill, I get a "Hello Rod" from the staff, same as Century Mill, same as Felder.

All family owned businesses with a focus on me, the customer.

So do yourself a favour and start up a working relationship with a supplier that can supply all those features that the big box stores can't.

Regards, Rod.

all excellent points.

except that HD is the only place that sells the ridgid nailer I've selected to buy.

Real Name
    Werner

Are cordless tools "power tools"? Well, yes, technically I guess they are, but I think that in general parlance we'd be more likely to call them "cordless tools". A phrase like "power tools" immediately makes me think of corded tools, i.e. tools that run off of "power" (by which we primarily mean corded power, e.g. when the power lines go down in a storm or something we say "the power's out again, get the candles.")
    So based on that premise, a computer on a wireless network is not really a computer :-)
    Cheers,
    Werner

Default HD tool sale

I checked into HD's 20% off on cordless tools on the net and their website says these tools are not available any longer. Are they clearing out the old models in their stores in preparation of getting the newer better(?) models?? I've been waiting for the 12v Lithion drill to go on sale, now i'm thinking I should wait?

Default Re: HD tool sale

There's a thread on another forum regarding clearance prices on some Rigid stuff, including table and band saws.

Not sure what's up, but there's lots of speculation about new tools being on the way.

Cheers!

Gary

I was looking into a compact drill for use in tighter spots and it also so happens my NICD 18V batteries are starting to act their age (pre-lifetime warranty). Was happy to get the compact 18 volt lithium-ion drill and Impact for 183.00 + tax. Already have a 14.4 impact, but was nice to get a size and weight reduction on that as well as the drill. At least you gotta give them credit by being able to utilze the same battery for all the 18V instead of forcing you to ditch your old tools.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by geneve View Post
    So based on that premise, a computer on a wireless network is not really a computer :-)
    Nah, it's that the network was advertised as a LAN when it's actually a WAN.