FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Tool rack for Lathe Tools

Default Tool rack for Lathe Tools

I am getting frustrated with the fact that whenever I want a tool for turning I have to sort through the pile - and step away from the lathe to get it.
    I am looking for ideas of some sort of a rack that I can mount just in front of the lathe - on the wall etc and make my life easier.
    Any suggestions. I have had a quick look through the usual sights for plans and ideas - not a lot out there

Crabby

Default Re: Tool rack for Lathe Tools

Richard, I ended up with two solutions to the same problem you identify, both simple, not pretty, but made from scraps in less than an hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill

Mine is the same as the right-half of Andrew's lower one. I made the board with the partial holes and hang it on the wall horizontally. The tools hang vertically with the metal at the bottom. I like to be able to see the working end when I'm selecting a tool. You may have to have a few custom holes for larger handles. The holes are easily made by using a suitable forstner bit so the narrow part easily fits in the hole and the wider top doesn't let it drop through. After you drill the holes just rip the board so a bit more than half the hole remains.

Mine is behind the lathe and on an intersecting wall at the tailstock end. Some people don't like having it behind the lathe and that's fine. I don't have any tools up near the headstock end where a bowl would be spinning and I don't think spindles turning are a big deal.

What is best really is determined by your method of working and the layout of your shop relative to the lathe. My method would be useless if you didn't have a wall close at hand.

billh

Although I have not done it yet... I like an idea of a magnetic strip to hold the tools. Someday I am going to make something in this kind of set up...probably on a wall near the working area.

I currently have a half circle stand that I can move around where I want it.... tools pointy-ends pointing up. This is not ideal, as you could very easy cut yourself reaching into the tools to get the next...and if you ever trip and landed on this stand, it could hurt...A lot !!
    So far, I haven't hurt myself at all.... I keep the stand against the wall at the head stock end...out of the way and easy access. Picture to follow.

Current set up..not recommended !

This is the one that I have been working on ... it's still a work in progress though.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=32283

I love the look of John's tool rack. Mine is far less spectacular, but it does work well. The drawback that I personally see with the Andrew/Bill variety is that you have to thread the tip through a hole, and that takes just a bit more attention that I am willing to devote at times.
    Mine is based on a picture that Mack posted, some time ago. The benefits include - it handles different sizes without much trouble, it accepts the tool easily and holds it tightly. It's dead-easy to make. The slope of the board behind the butt of the tool forces it to tip backwards so that it doesn't fall out of the rack. The tools are basically vertical, but won't tip. It's a clever design, I think, and again - it came from a picture posted by Mack.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

I keep my lathe tools stored in drawers under the lathe, With each project, there a few that are exclusively used. I fabricated this holder that mounts to the ways fro the half dozen or so needed for a particular project.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...toolholder.jpg
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Real Name
    Murray

I have a tool caddie containing all things required for turning on lathe. The top has the grinder (i have yet to put my 8" there) 2 top drawers are chisels 3 erd drawer is grinder accessories 4 th drawer is pencils, glasses, mast etc, 5 th drawer is chucks, jaws, live centers, the 6th drawer is all my sanding discs and they are working out great, the 7th drawer is face plates, homemade jumbo jaws, The 8th drawer is the everything vacuum. The grocery bag hanging is the face shield in a quilted envelope and and the orange coil is the air all just a 1/2 turn away. SO far works well for me.
    Murray

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Orangeville View Post
    ...The drawback that I personally see with the Andrew/Bill variety is that you have to thread the tip through a hole,
    Not with mine. I only use the part that holds the handle, the tip is just hanging in free air.

I notice the pictures posted were taken with a nice clean shop. Remember that if your rack is located within distance of flying chips it must shed them automatically or it will be another thing to clean the chips out of. This is one reason I don't store mine in drawers - I always seem to leave them open. When we got our new kitchen cupboards my wife insisted on self closting drawers and I could tell it was because of my bad habit.

billh

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Not with mine. I only use the part that holds the handle, the tip is just hanging in free air.

I notice the pictures posted were taken with a nice clean shop. Remember that if your rack is located within distance of flying chips it must shed them automatically or it will be another thing to clean the chips out of. This is one reason I don't store mine in drawers - I always seem to leave them open. When we got our new kitchen cupboards my wife insisted on self closting drawers and I could tell it was because of my bad habit.

billh
    I've been doing some turning since I put up the cabinet and so far no chips or dust has settled on any of the tools. With the way that my cabinet is situated it's easy to take the tool needed and close the doors before going back to turning. What I may yet do though is build a holder beneath the cabinet that will hold 3 - 4 tools only ... this would be for those tools that I would presently be using on a project. As it is I find that I still lay these few tools on the bench behind me while turning.
    Also I'm able to keep my turning area relatively clean since I have excellent dust collection at the lathe as well as a floor sweep directly to the right of the new tool cabinet, in behind the curtain. If the chips get to deep I just kick them over with my foot and open the gate. Then when turning is done out comes the broom and in less than 1 minute I have the area as clean as what you see in the pics.

John
    Last edited by John-in-Abbotsford; 03-28-2010 at 11:46 PM.