FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: left hand reverse door

Default left hand reverse door

Hi all,

I need to install a door into a utility room and would like to have a left hand reverse swing. The problem is that all of the big box stores I've been to only carry in-swing doors and would have to special order reverse swing doors. So, I got thinking that if you had a pre-hung right in-swing door and you reversed it wouldn't you have a left hand reverse swinging door? What would the difference be between a right hand in-swing and a left hand reverse door be?

Thanks,
    Sean
    ----

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: left hand reverse door

It seems for interior doors, the term reverse, which basically means swinging towards you, has gone by the wayside. A RH swing is the same as a LH reverse swing, as far as ordering a door prehung.
    JIM
    Calgary, AB

Real Name
    Steve Morris

ditto here, interior doors are either lh or rh, no reverse

exterior doors are either lh, rh and in swing or out swing
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

The big box store that said they would have to custom order reverse swing interior doors, should not be trusted, and I would file a complaint to their head office.

As everyone else has stared there are only rights and lefts. Reverse handing is only signifigant in commercial doors where hardware has to be handed.

Just want to correct my last posting. Reverse swinging interior doors are relevent when you need an "A" face and "B" face, but I don't believe you would want to take that request to a box store.

I agree that by hanging the door 'backwards' will reverse the swing satisfactorily.
    The concept of a reverse swing door is only critical where there is a threshold in place.
    Residential doors swing inward, but Commercial doors swing outward to meet the fire codes. People need to get out of a commercial building in a hurry and the outswing (often with a crash bar) allows them to be code compliant.
    Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate you guys taking the time to post. Most of my experience in this area is from a commercial background so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks,
    Sean
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by PSLpaul66 View Post
    But in office towers, office doors often swing into the offices, so the best face, faces the corridor
    I was referring to entrance doors with thresholds.
    Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Quote Originally Posted by PSLpaul66 View Post
    But in office towers, office doors often swing into the offices, so the best face, faces the corridor
    That is sometimes taken into account but it's not the reason the doors are handed. A grade of veneer or laminate or paint color is specified and the supplier of the door would have to look at the handing of the door on plan to make sure he didn't make a mistake but to the door supplier there are still just lefts and rights. I may have a run of bookmatched doors sliced from the same log and installed in order but I don't need to know whether the door is reversed or not in order to install them. All I have to do is look at the plan and see if it's a left or a right.

Where handing comes into play is when specifying the hardware. In order to determine the hand of a door you have to determine which side is the room side and which is the corridor side. A standard door opens from the corridor into a room. In commercial construction doors that are used to exit the building (egress doors) have to open out from the room (even doors that go from corridor to corridor have a room side and a corridor side) into the corridor. These doors are said to be reversed.

When you stand with your back to a right hand door on the side the hinge barrels are visible (pull side) the hinges are on the right. It's referred to the butt to the butts rule. A standard right hand door opens into the room from the corridor.

You open the right hand door with your left hand, the lock cylinder is facing you and the closer is mounted on the inside of the door so it isn't visible from the corridor (pull side mount).

You stand outside (corridor side) a right hand reversed swing door the hinges are on the left and the lockset is on your right and the cylinder to unlock the door is facing you. The door closer is on the room side of the door so in this case it's mounted on the push side of the door usually on a parallel arm bracket.

To everyone but the carpenter and the supplier of door and hardware there are only rights and lefts. These two parties have to know whether or not the door is reversed in order to have reinforcing blocks necessary for hardware in the door and frame, to supply the proper hardware (lock cylinder operating the right side and closer supplied standard mount or parallel arm mount) and for the carpenter to know where to drill for the lock cylinder etc. and how the closer and other operating hardware is installed.

In your own house the exterior door is a standard hand and swings in from the corridor (the exterior) to the room (your vestibule). In institutions and businesses you will notice door swings out to the corridor from the room. Commercial exterior doors are always reversed to comply with the building code.

To make things even more confusing some residential door and window manufacturers don't follow this convention. In commercial construction everyone follows the same convention. For some reason each residential window and door supplier have their own rules for handing so you always have to ask how they hand doors
    Last edited by dave_k; 04-12-2010 at 06:06 AM.