FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Maple Log Prices

Default Maple Log Prices

Any sawyers here know what the going price for sugar maple logs is? I know there are likely a lot of factors involved but as a general rule what can I expect to get for straight, clear, sound logs 7-12 ft long, up to 20 in in diameter.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Charles

Default Re: Maple Log Prices

your best bet is to phone at least two local mills. It seems maple has been moving around in price a little. Things to factor in price. Are you selling logs or tree's
    can you load the logs
    will you sell one or must take all
    can the person buying pick and choose
    Selling logs isn't as profitable as selling kiln dried

You say up to 20" in Dia. if they get much smaller you are not going to get a lot of useable lumber from them

BUT I wish I was closer cause I need some maple

My thoughts
    charlie

It is kinda surprising how little you get. I had 5 logs sawn that were all about 20 ins on the big end and I believe they only yielded about 250 bf.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I have a bush full of mixed hardwood and I know how difficult it is to move logs of any size without heavy equipment. (I cut 15-20 cord of firewood every year but nothign log worthy this year) There were logs listed for sale a short trip away from here so I thought I would try to figure out what a decent offer might be seing as they were already on the ground and straight looking logs.
    It may not be worth my effort; the seller may have no idea the effort or cost required to turn them into boards or firewood.

St-Alexandre de Kamouraska, near Rivière du Loup Québec
    Blog Entries

What is a cord of wood in Ontario, where I am from a cord of wood is 16 inches wide, 4 feet high and 24 feet long, or 4x4x8 and if you drive to Chicoutimi just across the St-Lawrence river, a cord is 16 inches wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long, so it takes 3 Chicoutimi cords to make a Rivière du Loup cord. So when you buy your wood you have to make sure that your are taking about the same cord, I cut about 10 Rivière du Loup cords every year for the heating my house and my workshop (garage)

Interesting...I have always considered a cord of wood to be 4' x 4' x 8'. The actual volume of wood depends on split vs whole logs ... but still contains 128 cubic ft of volume overall.
    You're not working in metric, by any chance??

Salut !

Cheers...DonJ

Jacques- I have occasionally seen firewood sold by the `face-cord`, which is identical to your Chicoutimi cord. When wood is scaled it must contain 128 cubic feet, identical to your Riviere-de-Loup cord. Why or when this started to occur, I have no idea. Roy
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Real Name
    Charles

I believe face cords started at the advent of the air tight stove rage. As a selling feature the face cord was cheaper to the newbie and it was the right size to fit into the stove.

my thoughts
    charlie

I was referring to face cord as we call it, and a bush cord, or cubic cord, or whatever else it's called is usually 3 of them but the dimensions are 4x4x8 when all is said and done.
    Although I have tons trees in my woods of these I bought some maple logs yesterday, 400 feet of length in all, avg 14" diameter, and dropped them at the mill. Will let you know how they turn out. I learned a lot from the dude that will cut them in 40 minutes of conversation, and although he is twice the price my neighbour would charge, I know I will get the most out of the logs. Not only that, I will know how to keep the log pristine when I drop a bigger one this winter.

Real Name
    Charles

A cord of wood has always been 8' wide 4' high and 4' deep that is it.
    When the face cord came to be it was to apease the urban people with the new airtight wood stoves to offset the rising cost of fosil fuel way back when. A face cord is 8' wide 4' high and 16" deep and it just fits fits into the urbans stoves. Some guys have filled an average pickup truck to see what they will hold, and sold there firewood that way. A cord is a cord, a face cord is a face cord. Cut and dried (no pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    A cord of wood has always been 8' wide 4' high and 4' deep that is it.
    When the face cord came to be it was to apease the urban people with the new airtight wood stoves to offset the rising cost of fosil fuel way back when. A face cord is 8' wide 4' high and 16" deep and it just fits fits into the urbans stoves. Some guys have filled an average pickup truck to see what they will hold, and sold there firewood that way. A cord is a cord, a face cord is a face cord. Cut and dried (no pun intended)
    That was true right up until greed set in. If you call around for face cords now you need to ask the depth (you can get 4 12" face cords from a cord). A 16" face cord is getting hard to find.

Alex

I got the boards home last night from the mill and am pleased with the quality. Didn't really calculate bd feet but it pretty much filled a 6X10 trailer 2 ft deep. The sapwood was all cut 4/4 and the stickered pile is 4 feet wide, close to 3 feet high. I also ended up with a bunch of 8/4 stock that was close to, or was the heartwood so a lot of that will likely not be that desireable however there are plenty of decent boards for a work bench. Should be able to make lots of mistakes now.