FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Rockwell Beaver jointer

Default Rockwell Beaver jointer

Hi Fellas
    I just picked up a couple of Rockwell machines at a garge sale last weekrnd for $95.00 hope that's a good deal.Firstly I picked up a Rocwell wood lathe model 150 serial number#41923 made in Ontario.I have posted all the information and questions I have about this machine in the Turning Forum.I should include them here as well.It has a black wrinkle finish on it.It is mounted to a piece of heavy channel iron and bolted down.Would anyone know where to get an owners manual and operating manual for it as well as an acceroies catalog?It has 4 pullies on it.What size of motor would be best for the operation of this machine ie,RPM,HP etc.If anyone has a picture of one that is completely set up I would really like to see those set up's.
    The second machine is a Rockwell Beaver jointer catolog #2800 that is the only number I can find on it.It has no motor.What type of motor should I get for it, if it is worth while to do so.ie,RPM and HP?It is grey in colour and missing the gaurd for over the blades.Are parts available for this machine?It has some pitting on the bed,does this affect it's performance?If anyone has pictures of this jointer set uu I woulf really like to see them.
    Many Thanks
    Woodplane

Default Re: Rockwell Beaver jointer

This may be your jointer. Most of the older rockwell manuals are out there (try owwm.com) and may be under delta as well.

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/1191/1667.pdf

Good luck,
    Alex

I have the original manual for an 2801 (4" )that my dad bought in 1977. I don't know if it is a newer model (probably is) but should be similar. Not too much info but was all that came with it.
    Dad bought it and never used it as he said it didn't work the way he thought it should. After he passed away one day I decided to look at it and see what could be wrong with it. Well the motor was mounted wrong or anyways it turned backwards. No wonder dad couldn't get it to joint right.

Just a follow up the manual for the 2801 says 1/3 HP 1725 RPM motir

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i have a 2801 rockwell beaver in perfect working order, its semiretired in favour of my R/B 6 inch jointer, mine's been in the family since new in 56

1/3 or 1/2 hp 1725 rpm motor is ideal with a 1 to 3 pulley ratio, a furnace motor will work, but extended use will lead to motor overheating

tuning and sharpening these old machines is easy, get it running and we can answer any questions about table setup and honing

i just completed a total tuneup and sharpening of my 2800 including aligning the tables and honing, its pretty easy, just time consuming, about 4 hours

the "porkchop" guard is rare in fact imposible to find with out buying another machine as far as i know but one can be made from plywood and a piece of steel rod with a spring, i can give you a good photo of mine if you need it, its pretty simple

get a motor first, a furnace motor will work, 1725 rpm(most are) and a 3 to 1 ratio for a cutterhead speed of about 5000 rpm, cutterhead shaft is 5/8 diameter on mine, motor is usually 1/2 inch, so 2 inch on cutterhead and 6 inch on the motor, get the knives ground then hone them and put it together

where are you? somebody local will probably help too
    Last edited by stevem; 05-05-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Default FDenny

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply to my inquiry concering the Rockwell jointer!Boy you fellas are quick!
    Thanks Again
    Woodplane

I do not have the jointer but I do have the Rockwell Beaver 9" table saw and it is great.

If your machine is half as good as mine, you have a gold mine.

Good luck with it.

Woodie

Default SteveM

Thanks for the quick reply to my questions concerning the Rockwell Beaver jointer.You have provided me with a lot of information that will come in handy.I'm trying to get it cleaned up a bit and then I will post up some pictures.What's the difference between the 2800 and the 2801?
    Steve, I live 45 minutes east of Vancouver B.C.
    Many Thanks
    Woodplane

Real Name
    Steve Morris

no problem, there's lots of those little jointers around in all kinds of condition
    2800 vs 2801? no idea what the differences are, probably not much
    post a pic of yours, and i'll compare, may be as little as an included stand(mine has one)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevem; 05-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Steve Morris

the old beaver tools are well worth finding and keeping
    i have several, 2 jointers, lathe, bandsaw and a small tablesaw

somewhat crude compared to modern stuff but generally bullet proof
    steve, sarnia, ont

Okay Fellas,Here are some pictures of the Rockwell/Beaver jointer I picked up a couple of weeks back from a garage sale.The bed has some pits in it,don't know if that will matter or not,i will let you guy's fill me in.I have not finished cleaning it up yet .I will looking for an owners manual and parts manual for it.Were there any accessories that came with this jointer?I will also be on the lookout for the knife guard for it.I posted some pictures of the Rockwell lathe I piced up with the jointer in the turning forum if you care to look.
    Many Thanks
    woodplane

Real Name
    Steve Morris

same as mine except yours is a little older(real beaver badge on the front!!)

manual and parts list? both pretty useless, new parts except bearings and knives are virtually unobtainable, i have manuals for a couple of my old beaver tools (not the 2201)and they arent much help for anything. and there isnt one at owwm

a guard can be made from a piece of plywood(i can photo mine for the shape) and a steel rod, the return spring is a simple coil to the hole in the feed table

check the bearings before doing anything, they slip into the bearing cups and are pressed on the cutter head, any decent bearing shop can change them in minutes. they DO NOT have to be pressed into the caps(the caps will break)

dissassemble completely with photo records(its a real simple machine, lube all the moving parts, reassemble and then we'll help you set it up

looks like you need some new knives, a good sharpening or tool place will have them

if you need a motor, a furnace fan motor will work for a while, but will overheat if run for a long period, cutterhead speed should be around 5000 rpm, so a 1725 rpm motor will need a 3 to 1 pulley ratio

i have a full set of pics of mine during its recent rebuild and tuneup, but the machine is so simple the're actually redundant

here's a pic of it, notice the brass shim material added to align the tables, just have to trim the shimstock off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    steve, sarnia, ont

SteveM,Thanks for all the information you have provided in your last post.I will update when I have done a little more cleaning.
    Thanks Again
    woodplane