FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: need/want a new bandsaw

Default need/want a new bandsaw

I was resawing some bloodwood today, and my poor old 14' bandsaw was having a hard time of it. A new blade would prolly help (it's a 1/2" skiptooth Timber Wolf), but I think it's a great excuse to upgrade :-)
    It's a cheapo Busy Bee 14" that I got for around $300 around 20 years ago. I never could get it tuned as well as I would like, but it's certainly done a good job for me so far.
    I recently upgraded my jointer to a Grizzly G0490X, which I've been very happy with, so I'm very tempted to go Grizzly again.
    I'm looking at the 17" 'Extreme Series" bandsaw.
    Does anyone have an opinion on this machine? It's smaller 14' cousin did get a 'best value' award from FineWoodworking.
    Also, what are the thoughts on a good resawing blade for this saw?

Thanks for your input

Default Re: need/want a new bandsaw

Scott, your best way to get feedback on Grizzly tools would be to check out an US based forum such as Sawmill Creek. You can search the forum with the model number and you will receive a lot of reviews and opinions on the saw. I have included the link.

Hope this helps ...

Marty

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/

Scott.... I have the Grizzly GO 513X which I believe has been replaced by the 513X2. Looking at the 17 in Extreme Series it seems that it has a foot brake which I certainly would pay the added cost as my machines runs forever when you turn it off . It runs very smooth and will consistently rip 1/16 inch thick veneer from an eleven inch wide piece of american chestnut. I can't imagine what any similiar powered machine could do better than mine.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Trebble View Post
    I was resawing some bloodwood today, and my poor old 14' bandsaw was having a hard time of it. A new blade would prolly help (it's a 1/2" skiptooth Timber Wolf), but I think it's a great excuse to upgrade :-)
    It's a cheapo Busy Bee 14" that I got for around $300 around 20 years ago. I never could get it tuned as well as I would like, but it's certainly done a good job for me so far.
    I recently upgraded my jointer to a Grizzly G0490X, which I've been very happy with, so I'm very tempted to go Grizzly again.
    I'm looking at the 17" 'Extreme Series" bandsaw.
    Does anyone have an opinion on this machine? It's smaller 14' cousin did get a 'best value' award from FineWoodworking.
    Also, what are the thoughts on a good resawing blade for this saw?

Thanks for your input
    Looks like a pretty decent machine and considering the dollar's proximity to parity and the "No Brokerage Fee" sale Grizzly is having on now makes that pretty attractive.

The blade you have now sounds like a good blade, perhaps just dull. Otherwise Laguna has been having some nice sales through Sawmill Creek on their top line resaw blade. Perhaps Canadian WW can step up and provide a decent price since they seem to carry Laguna now as well?

Hey Scott...as Yeti suggested i would be more than happy to help you out if you are interested.

Which Grizzly "Extreme" 17" are you looking at??...they seem to have two...one is a 2 hp that says it has a brake but does not show it in the picture...and then a more expensive 5HP unit.

CWW could offer the 18" Rikon 2.5HP or Laguna 14" or 16" with 3HP on each or the 18" with 4HP. We have had great response on all of them.

PM me if you would like to pursue anything.

Cole

Sorry...just noticed the 2HP 17" Grizzly does offer a motor brake which claims to stop the machine in 3 seconds. I was just looking for a foot brake!

I heard that this 3 second stop time is becoming a rule on bandsaws in Quebec and maybe other places for schools etc.

Cole

Cole,

Has Rikon started to offer any of their bandsaws with blade brakes yet?

I think you will really love the 17" saw for resaw, put a good blade on it and it will chew threw a lot of wood. I have an old Hitachi dedicated resaw, and it is great, as well as a homebuilt 14" saw.

The one suggestion I have for you is that you keep your older 14" saw, put a thin blade on it and let it live it's life in the curvy cutting capacity, and let the big brother 17" saw live to chew mountains of wood.

Cheers!

Hi Paladin2025,

I asked and they say we can get the electronic brake on the wood/metal 18" machine....but not the others at this point. They are not offering a mechanical brake but may be able to offer an electronic brake down the road. They will advise me!

So no...the 18" 2.5HP machine we stock does not offer a brake at this time.

Cole

Stu, that was my plan, if I can find room for it !!
    I've always had trouble tracking smaller blades on it because I cannot get the wheels co-planar, but maybe as a permanent setup, I might juryrig something.