FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Woodworking classes in Guelph/Wellington area, Ontario?

Default Woodworking classes in Guelph/Wellington area, Ontario?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I've always been interested in woodworking -- building furniture, in particular. There's just one problem - I have ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE nor the tools required. I would love to find a woodworking course somewhere in the Guelph/Wellington area here in Ontario.

Does anyone know of any? I feel like my options are extremely limited.

Many thanks!

Default Re: Woodworking classes in Guelph/Wellington area, Ontario?

Check out the guide produced by the city.

I have taken an evening course through the high school on College and Hanlon. The seem to offer it usually in 3 semester per year. Its in the same book as all the physical activity (swimming lessons, etc) and other courses offered in highschools at night.

Beyond that your next choice is Conestoga in Cambridge.

Scott

Real Name
    Adam

Not right in Guelph, but the Con-Ed into to WW course at Conestoga C is pretty good. I've taken it twice

Their 'advanced' course is basically just 40hours of shop time. If it works on your schedule it's a great way to use some of the bigger machines without buying them yourself

Oh, they sell you the lumber (for use there) at cost too.

Hello Everyone

I know this thread is from some time ago but I have just joined this site and come across it in my search for individuals interested in woodworking in the Guelph area.

I along with some other individuals are currently in the process of starting a wood shop in the Guelph area which would be open for public use. Along with open shop time the space would provide a spot to teach classes.

We are currently trying to get an exact feel for what people want out of a space like this, if there is enough demand, and which classes would interest most individuals.
    If you have any interest in providing us feedback or in using the space please contact us at guelphwoodworking@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
    Erica
    Last edited by Guelph Woodworking; 01-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Guelph Woodworking View Post
    Hello Everyone

I along with some other individuals are currently in the process of starting a wood shop in the Guelph area which would be open for public use. Along with open shop time the space would provide a spot to teach classes.

Erica
    I know you have the best intentions but do you have insurance for this? It's difficult and expensive to get for this type of operation now unless you are a school of some sort.
    Cheers, Mark
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    I know you have the best intentions but do you have insurance for this? It's difficult and expensive to get for this type of operation now unless you are a school of some sort.
    Cheers, Mark
    I know very very little about this insurance subject that always comes up in these types of discussions but is it not possible to have a member of this type of facility sign a waiver that would eliminate the worry of responsibility. After all we are all supposedly adults. If we were to sign something set up by any lawyer saying we accept the responsibility of using ABC etc. could this not circumvent the indemnity issue.

BTW I know that is a question. On this computer the qestion key has been altered and I get this... ... which is a red ...... on the keyboard. How do I change that.
    "Do it Right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    Cheers, Mark

Hi,

We appreciate your response and concern. Insurance is a major part of this business and one of the first things we thought about ourselves. Fortunately for us it is possible to get insurance for a business like this in our area.

Cheers,
    Erica

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I know very very little about this insurance subject that always comes up in these types of discussions but is it not possible to have a member of this type of facility sign a waiver that would eliminate the worry of responsibility. After all we are all supposedly adults. .
    Erica, Good! I hope it all works out for you!

Rusty, It can be a real problem to deal with and a waiver is a best making people aware of the potential danger. I have been teaching in a college for years and now setting up a community woodworking shop, when a accidents happens it can have a huge ripple effect.
    Was the person checked out on the machine and proven to know what they were doing, were the guards in place and working, push sticks at hand, what was person distracted, a clean environment, was the accident preventable.
    I have had people in my class that have had a drink, a bad day in the office, on heavy cold meds. or just tired. You are dealing with Joe Public so anyone can take classes so anything is posible.
    The fact is all you can do is you best, hope no one has an accident under your watch and find a lawyer willing to take up the cause.
    Cheers, Mark
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    BTW I know that is a question. On this computer the qestion key has been altered and I get this... ... which is a red ...... on the keyboard. How do I change that.
    You have you're keyboard setup as Canadian (we all speak French and question nothing I guess). There might be a blue bubble in the bottom right with the time that will let you toggle after clicking on it, if not, go to the control panel and find the keyboard setting (I don't use Windows, can't point directly where it is) and change it to American layout 105.

Erica - have you set up the shop in Guelph? I am interested in classes and a good shop to work in.