FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: staining board and batten

Default staining board and batten

We are about to start putting pine board and batten siding on the workshop, with boards from Home Hardware. We are going to stain it with an oil-based semi-transparent stain. Should the staining be done on all 4 sides before the boards go up, or is on the front side only OK?

Will there be any problems with putting the stain on with a gravity feed air compressor type gun?

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

Default Re: staining board and batten

The ideal scene is "stained 4 sides" as this ensures that the wood has similar breathability on all 4 sides and in and of itself further diminishes the effect of humidity moving in and out of the wood....so it all becomes more dimensionally stable....and this is good.
    Good in furniture, bathrooms and kitchens anyhow.
    Having said that, this is wisdom largely gained before buildings were properly insulated, so I don't know how really valid it is on a modern workshop.
    (Old ones never got stained 4 sides...and they are still OK!!!)

Personally I don't think it will make that much difference but if you have the time and the stain...then by all means go for it.

As for your gravity gun and the stain....there should be no problem unless you hold the gun upside down....in which case it will be a sign that you should curtail the beer until later.

If you find it is not spraying fast enough...use a bigger needle.....and depending on the wood, the stain and how it lays out, you may want to backroll the stain for greater uniformity...but you will only know that when you are actually applying it and can see the result.

Good luck.
    Julian

I have done a couple of homes and my own shop. The first time I foolishly thought I could do it with a brush. Took about 2 hrs to do the first 4 boards. Went and rented an airless sprayer ever since. The last was my own shop and we did both sides of rough pine boards for a 28 x 48 shop in a day. I sprayed while a helper back brushed the stain into the rough pine boards. If you don't back brush your stain will just sit on top of the rough pine. I rented a Graco airless and it costs about $90 a day.I would think with a siphon feed it certainly will work. I would think that you will still have to back brush and being a siphon feed it will be quite slow.I have always used Benjamin Moore solid color stain, it is a latex product. The first job I did was in 93 up on Hwy 50 and it looks as good today as when I first put it on. There are many ways to install it but a lot of people suggest you strap the wall to provide an airspace behind the boards to allow it to breath. Have never done it myself but undoubtlly a good idea.

Nice looking shop.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 06-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Real Name
    Ryan

You got your b&b at mcnabb? you must be money bags!

their service is awesome, but their prices are high, I find.

Have you ever tried south parry? you have to pick through the stock a little more discerningly, but their prices are much better, I find.

meanwhile, as for your question, Julian took the words right out of my mouth.

question though: are you strapping that puppy, or nailing right to the sheeting that I presume is under that tyvek?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Callee, I'll be strapping first.

Keith

That airspace is a good idea to keep the siding dry and balance but the airspace also helps keep rain from penetrating the building envelope. Search rainscreen principle for an explanation

when I did my Board and batten shed last May, 12" wide barnboard was 1.08/ft. Rough on one face.

I put the rough face out, and it absorbed a lot of stain......

Spraying works, but back brush or roller, especially rough sawn.
    All 6 sides/ends/faces.
    Nail one edge OR the centre of the boards. Battens will hold the other.
    Use 2 by material for the corners and rabbet to accept the boards underneath them.
    Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Quote Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
    when I did my Board and batten shed last May, 12" wide barnboard was 1.08/ft. Rough on one face.

I put the rough face out, and it absorbed a lot of stain......
    From what I understand, rough side out is critical if you want stain to adhere/penetrate and last any length of time.