FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Suitable stain/finish for Baby's crib

Default Suitable stain/finish for Baby's crib

Hi Guys,

I'm purchasing a crib raw (no stain or finish) and then getting a different company to finish it to match existing furniture.

I want to be sure that the stain used is safe (or at least the safest available), to be used on a baby's crib. The crib won't arrive for 4 weeks.

Do I need to specify anything to the guy doing the staining about the type of stain to be used? He gave me the impression that it was all the same, and told me that the stuff he used was standard on baby cribs. I just want to be sure that any chewing doesn't lead to problems with chemical exposure.

Thanks

Default Re: Suitable stain/finish for Baby's crib

basically any stain or topcoat is fine, when dry, other than shellac, I am not aware of any other finish that the body will redissolve, my personal preference would be a good oil that dries well, like Waterlox, or General Finishes Arm r seal, while both have solvents in them, once cured they are solidified or evaproate, think of it like epoxy, when its in a liquid form it has "stuff" you dont want in your body, and could be harmful to you, when its cured, well its sort of like eating a marble, not a good idea, but it will not be absorbed by the body, and finish should cure at least 3 weeks , longer if its BLO or other slow drying oils, but the best bet is dont let the youngster eat the crib...

Quote Originally Posted by charles neil View Post
    ... and finish should cure at least 3 weeks , longer if its BLO or other slow drying oils
    Three weeks? Lemme see. Crib arrives in 4 weeks, baby in 10. Stain guy tells me it'll take 2 weeks to finish...So I have 3-4 weeks to air the thing out before its first use.

Worst case scenario - we use a bassinet for the first few weeks if the baby comes early. Should be ok, right?

Given the time frame and the little one's safety I'd use a water based finish, such as EM8000 Pre-Cat Conversion Varnish or EM9000 SuperClear PolyUrethane. Oil based finishes have too long curing time and considering high VOC content they may not be ideal for a crib that will be inhabited relatively soon after it's made.

Depending on the material used to build the crib, and whether you want to bring the grain out I might consider de-waxed shellac as the first coat, or two of finish. A clear version of it, premixed and ready to use is from Zinsser and is sold as SealCoat.

Oh, and as for the "satin guy" telling you about two weeks to apply the finish on the crib... I dunno... are you sure he knows what he's doing?

All modern finishes and stains claim that after cured, there is no toxicity. Also from raising several kids and grandkids, they aren't going to be in that crip long enough to gnaw the paint off. Unless you are so neglectful as to leave them caged up rather than nurturing and taking care of them. Kids do not need to be left on their own in a crib (except when sleeping) kids are not animals that need to be caged up while "parents" are too busy to bother... OK, done with my Rant... Nuff said... (not personally directed at "You" just society in general.)
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Oh, and as for the "satin guy" telling you about two weeks to apply the finish on the crib... I dunno... are you sure he knows what he's doing?
    I'm assuming he's giving me a 2 week timeframe so that he can fit this in with his other work, and not get me peeved when he's a few days late. The 'Stain Guy' is a professional who does nothing but custom staining. Got a few quotes from profesionals, and they all quoted a 2 week timeframe, but a 'rush job' may cost more. I'd probably do the same in their position.

Most companies doing this type of work use a solvent base precat lacquer. This will more than meet your needs. Waterbase will work as well with the only benefit being less VOc's as the product dries. Most of these products takes roughly 30 days to come to full cure.
    In terms of time frame 2 weeks I would say is actually very quick. There is a lot of sanding on a crib which is mostly hand work so it takes alot of time. Sand, stain, seal, shade, sand top coat, sand and final coat. Then you factor in days like today at 38 C and you don't want things sprayed in this head. very hard to get a good finish.