FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting rid of a hidden wasp nest ?

Default getting rid of a hidden wasp nest ?

they went through a little hole in my covered front porch. they even started a second nest nearby. I tried a spray bomb of foam for them, but that just foamed up around the hole where they are going in, then it dssipated by morning and it was a waste of 8 bucks. there is sort of a 8 inch thick wall and they are inside so I can't see where the nest is nest or the bomb would work. I think if I plug the hole they will find another way in.

I then came up with the crackpot idea that I might be able to heat up wood chips on a hotplate and ,using a computer fan blow smoke in there for a period of time, I started a prototype, but my smoke machine went up in smoke during it's initial test run out back. The fan melted and fell in the wood chips and they started a little fire on the hotplate, figured that would probably just make them subdued anyway, or someone might call the fire department. so that plan is out the window..

Now I am stewing over the idea of hooking up my shop vac with about 2 inches of water inside and sticking that by the hole where they fly out. maybe I could have them take a detour into the vac when they get up in the morning ? they seem to retire to the hive at night.
    or... ?
    maybe I could spray something in there that they would hate the smell of ? I have a gallon can of really old old bolt loosener? I don't want to go ripping the porch apart, it is very old covered with cedar shingles. Where they are isn't really an exterior wall, I think the cavity is a bit big for expanding foam..

These little buggers are gettin the best of me. I hate going near them ever since I stepped on a nest as a kid. I thought maybe I could ignore them but they seem to be flocking to my front porch in ever increasing quantities .. ideas?

Phil
    Last edited by phil; 07-27-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Default Re: getting rid of a hidden wasp nest ?

Phil, try a clear glass bottle, put it over the opening and just leave it there.
    The wasp will come out and try forever to get out that bottle, you'll starve the colony, that's my experience, good luck :-))

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Thanks Leo that's worth a try, neat idea. sounds fun to watch too ;)
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I then came up with the crackpot idea that I might be able to heat up wood chips on a hotplate and ,using a computer fan blow smoke in there for a period of time, I started a prototype, but my smoke machine went up in smoke during it's initial test run out back. The fan melted and fell in the wood chips and they started a little fire on the hotplate, figured that would probably just make them subdued anyway, or someone might call the fire department. so that plan is out the window

Phil
    ROFLMAO

Too funny, thanks for the laff

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I think Lee Valley has a jar sort of thing that is specific to catching wasps as well.

or me and some of my buddies could come over with our shotguns and blast'em out hey it could be fun!!!!

Blog Entries

Sometimes, it requires you open two things ......the yellow pages for an exterminator....and your wallet a little wider.

Let us know how you made out....good luck!

I have had great success using a silica based ant powder. Just kept a good coating around the entrance. They get on their bodies and eventually it gets carried through the hive.
    Doesn't do anything for ants, but sure nails wasps.
    This summer I put up a Waspinator - fake hive from Lee Valley. So far, they are staying away from our back yard.

Don

I second the Ant Powder. I haf an exterminator come out and thats what he used. He had a hand held pump thingy that blew a lot of dust into the entrance. The ones that flew out threw it looked like Albinos and they just erratically dropped or flew off and dropped. Sorta like their GPS was frigged.

Plug the hole after.

If the hole is big enough, try shoving a couple of mothballs into the hole. The fumes will spread throughout the cavity and gas the wasps...and then slowly dissipate to the air afterwards.
    I eradicate inconveniently-located, ground-nesting wasps, hornets, bees this way and it works pretty well.
    BOB

+1 on the Waspinator from Lee Valley. They are "territorial" so it works. I put one up this summer and so far it has worked.

Phil, thanks for a good laugh. IMHO, try the Waspinator and see if that works for you.

I am attempting Leo's suggestion. the hole was on a corner that has shingle siding and I wasn't sure how I was going to "tape a bottle" there. I found a little clearish plastic tupperware like bin and taped that over the hole and used lots of that red tuck tape. in the morning they came out, about 100 of them in there. I looked back and some had found an escape route, but still there were quite a few buzzing around in the bin. the best part is I haven't gotten stung yet and they don't seem to patrol at night. tonight I'll try to tape up the holes they found. I think I foiled their food production for today for the most part. I have two nests near each other , the other , they found an escape route pretty quickly so most of those ones went out for the day. If I am home for a day, I'll try to rig up my shop vac near the hole I think that would catch them. if all else fails I'll move on to some of these other suggestions , moth balls or silica based ant powder, I can do that. I got another good idea and that was to put some tiny holes in the tupperware bin, then I could maybe blast some raid or something in there, I could wipe out a lot of them at once like that. I wonder if they might decide to swarm away with the queen like bees sometimes do ? this is turning out to be fun to watch through the window in the living room. I haven't had too many travelling sales people come to the door lately..maybe I'll miss them ;)

I was also fighting with ants in the back yard. I have not too many but they were bothering some plants on the balcony. I mixed up some baking sugar and borax and was feeding that to them, evidently they take it home and it kills the hive. they didn't seem to move a lot of the stuff away, but they were into it and then they seemed to leave the plants alone so it seems I am winning the war on the back porch as well.

Phil

Real Name

If there are more openings they have used before it will be a little harder to get them all.
    But in the yard where you find the entrance hole it is very easy to get rid of them with a clear glass bottle/jar covering the opening and pushed down into the dirt a bit, so they can't crawl out of it, the wasps will just get into the glass pot and never try to go down into the nest to make a new tunnel or opening.

I won't use poisonous chemicals if I don't need to, and I do know this works.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

I had a similar problem - the wasps got in behind some brickwork and set up housekeeping. They got in and out through a gap in the mortar - actually several gaps. I got one of those spray bombs with the 6 inch plactic tube - waited till dark when they were all inside and then first sealed the hole and then pushed the tube into the hole

Next day I found they were still around but were using a different hole so I marked out all the gaps I could find and that night did the same thing - sprayed the exit holes first and then sprayed deeper in with the plastic tube.

That was the end of that. You may need 2 or more applications but the stuff works. You have to wait till it is dark and catch them all at home.

One other time I had an actual nest built just above the garage door while I was away on holidays. Same thing - wait till dark, spray the exit hole then saturate the nest. All done.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

I hope those gaps in the mortar weren't the weeping holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I hope those gaps in the mortar weren't the weeping holes.
    Nope - about five feet up where the stucco abutted the brick

Hmm - although we do have some big drips around here.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Phil, try a clear glass bottle, put it over the opening and just leave it there.
    The wasp will come out and try forever to get out that bottle, you'll starve the colony, that's my experience, good luck :-))
    I did that to a nest of bumblebees that took up residence in my dryer ductwork during the summer of '98. I left a large glass jar taped over the dryer vent on the outside of the house and once the colony had died from starvation all we had to do was remove the ductwork where the colony was, clean it out and reinstall it.

Hung my laundry out to dry in the summer breezes while all that was going on.

thought I'd follow up and thank Leo his suggestion of the bottle worked well. I didn't have the patience to not use an insecticide but at least I uesd less. the wasps collected in the plastic bin and every couple of days I gave them a drink of wasp killer via a litle hole I mae in the bin. some of the stuff went down behind the tape. I actually needed to make a new hole closer to the top as they filled up the bin. in the end I must have oh, 3 liters or so by volume of dead wasps. fair sized colony. I can only imagine how big the hive is. I Hope they don't come back next year but if they do I know what to do.

thanks all for your help, it was unnerving to see so many flocking to a nest to which I couldn't get near without destroying my porch.

Phil

Real Name

Thanks for the follow up Phil, it will let others (that are interested) know that it does work.

as for the colony, we bought our house in 1972 and found that one bedroom on the North East side was always colder in the winter than anywhere else in the house.

I also found the year after that there was a wasp nest in the wall, coming and going through a small opening in the mortar at a corner of the window, I got rid of the wasps, but only years later found the damage these wasps had done in there, as we did some remodeling/renovation and found that an area about 3 feet by at least 2 feet was totally devoid of the fibreglass insulation as the wasp had taking it out and build there nest there filling some of that area with their nest .

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

thought I'd follow up and thank Leo his suggestion of the bottle worked well. I didn't have the patience to not use an insecticide but at least I uesd less. the wasps collected in the plastic bin and every couple of days I gave them a drink of wasp killer via a litle hole I mae in the bin. some of the stuff went down behind the tape. I actually needed to make a new hole closer to the top as they filled up the bin. in the end I must have oh, 3 liters or so by volume of dead wasps. fair sized colony. I can only imagine how big the hive is. I Hope they don't come back next year but if they do I know what to do.

thanks all for your help, it was unnerving to see so many flocking to a nest to which I couldn't get near without destroying my porch.

Phil
    Get a can of expanding foam and fill the area until it oozes out. That's what I did in my concrete block garage and they haven't tried to get back in.

Phil
    About a week after this post I had the same problem behind a light by the back door. Taped a rubbermaid bin over the light and went to the beach for a week...problem solved except my wife thought i was obsessing over the wasps....Thanks CWW forum.
    Last edited by Jeffmacd; 09-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.