FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Nanofiber Cyclone Dust Collector Filter

Real Name
    John

Default Nanofiber Cyclone Dust Collector Filter

Hello all

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this type/ brand of filter ?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CYFN26.html

Thanks in advance John

Default Re: Nanofiber Cyclone Dust Collector Filter

Haven't used them, but Wynn Environmental (popular for cyclone filters in the USA) also carries nanofiber filters and claims 99.999% efficient at 0.5 micron.

Looking at the specs at Penn State, something is fishy with the claimed surface area...the 26x14 claims the same area as the 36x16--I suspect someone neglected to update the area for the smaller filter.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the info Chris .

Is there a place here in the GTA that sells this type of filter at a reasonable price. I plan on building a cyclone system and I have a 1 HP blower, 3650 rpm . I will use the Bill Pentz design .

regards John

I'm not aware of any, but others might be able to help.

If you've read the Pentz website, you will already be aware that 1HP isn't enough to be really effective if using a cyclone. I have one of the best 1.5HP bag collectors and even it is just barely effective when wheeled around to each machine.

As Chris says, you'll need more than 1 hp. I have a Pentz design home-built with 5 hp. Those filter look good though. I got my filters from Camfil-Farr on Steeles Ave (north of York U).

Real Name
    John

Thank you I value all the information that you guys share with me , it sure does save me a lot of trial and error. I was thinking I will scale the cyclone down to approximately half the size, inlet outlet sizes, everything. I found some filters on evilBay. I will probably use all four to have the least amount of restriction as possible. Here are the filters I purchased >

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...d=187798139025

regards John

Quote Originally Posted by jrt750 View Post
    I was thinking I will scale the cyclone down to approximately half the size, inlet outlet sizes, everything.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. A smaller cyclone will move less air given the same blower (you can think of it sort of like being more work to bend the air in a tigher curve) , and the smaller hoses will result in higher static pressure losses, dropping airflow even more.

Real Name
    J.P.

If you Google nanofiber filters you'll find there are a lot of products on the market that use that media. A lot of those products are for automotive use. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find air filters for big rigs that would be darn close to the size you need.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

If I ever have to replace my filters it will be with nano fibre. You state that you want to restrict the cyclone by reducing the inlet/outlet sizes then want minimal restriction through the filters - this makes no sense.
    You want maximum flow through the cyclone so it can perform the way it was designed. Anything less than this will compromise the separation efficiency of the cyclone.

Don

Real Name
    John

Don I agree with you but I didnít say I will restrict just the inlet outlet, I will down size the whole cyclone down proportionally. Someone here has already stated the one HP blower I have wont work very well so the only alternative I have is making it smaller to suit.

Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by jrt750 View Post
    Don I agree with you but I didn’t say I will restrict just the inlet outlet, I will down size the whole cyclone down proportionally. Someone here has already stated the one HP blower I have wont work very well so the only alternative I have is making it smaller to suit.

Regards John
    John,

I think you are possibly making a mistake downsizing the whole system as others have stated. Reread the Pentz site. You may just be making a real big clunky expensive shop vac.

A cheaper 1.5hp or 2hp DC, with a fancy filter like the one you are investigating, that you can hook directly to each machine might be the way to go if you cannot afford to go all out. Look into threads on the thein seperator, that's what I'd like to do as a Cyclone is out of my budget.

My 2hp jet cost $400 new, you could likely get a used one for a couple hundred.

Matt
    SPCHT

Real Name
    John

Some more advice thatís what I like I much appreciate all comments so far. You guys all have the practical experience, better than any engineer could ever share. Iím an Industrial Millwright Iíve worked around all sizes and styles of cyclones some with very high hp with gigantic bag houses some very small ,they did there jobs very well. However most were vented outside .If I asked an engineer about this he would pull out his calculator and come up with a bunch of numbers. But If asked have you ever seen one before the answer would probably be ahhhhh NO. Iím going to take the advice you guys have shared with me and try and find more info about the Blower I have and see if it would be worth installing a larger motor or just replacing it money is not the issue I just like making things and enjoy the challenge. I have all the machine shop stuff down there too mill, lathe, tig etc, etc. have to make use of it and Ill have to go back to Pentz site and read all of it .

Thanks Guys

Hey John,

I just checked the Onieda site and they do make a 1.5hp mini cyclone.

http://store.oneida-air.com/1hpstand...gorilla-1.aspx

It only draws 600cfm and that's with a 5" inlet. I would think that this would only be powerful enough for one machine? Not sure what kinda impaller.

Thought this might give you an idea of what range of cfm you might hope to pull.

I dream of one day having the time to make a cyclone .

Matt
    SPCHT

If you are looking for a cost sensitive option for DC you might want to look at the Harbor Freight "2HP" DC. It is available with a coupon (from a US woodworking magazine) for $140 right now. Generally, this DC gets good reviews among US woodworkers where it is very popular. You have to drive to the US to get it, but for me it was worth it, but be sure that you call the store you are driving to first and get them to hold one that they have in stock as they often sell out in the time it takes to drive from Canada.

I am working on modifying it by changing its inlet from 5" to 6", adding a Thein separator and replacing its 5 micron filter bag with a finer one. A Canister filter would be better...

-Will