FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Amusing safety glasses

Real Name
    Brent

Default Amusing safety glasses

If anyone peaked in the shop last night, they would have chuckled.

A friend of mine just bought her first house and is doing a bunch of rennovations while owning very few tools herself. I have loaned her a number of things including my spare set of safety glasses. I have my main set still in the shop, so no problem. However yesterday I took them to her house to use while helping with a project, and accidentally left them there.....leaving me with no safety glasses in my shop. I was about to machine up a custom piece for her in my shop, and realized I didn't have glasses. I'm at the point now where I feel naked without them, and just can't turn on a tool without them, but REALLY wanted to machine this little piece up to finish a project. All I had to do was rip a 26" board on the TS to width and since it was a cut where the blade wasn't buried in the wood, just skimming the edge, there would be dust and flying splinters galore.

I looked aruond the shop....what could I do? I can't wing it and hope for the best.......hey....there are my swim goggles.... I looked around to make sure nobody was looking, stretched them over my noggin and made the 10 second cut. Everything worked perfectly (and there were splinters flying), but I"m sure the mice in the shop had a good snicker at my expense.

Now before the safety buffs wag their fingers and go on about coverage, impact resistance etc etc etc I do know this was less than ideal and trust me...I'm not going to convert permanently to swim goggles! I am, however, buying my friend a set of her own glasses as a housewarming present so I can have my backups back!

Thought you might get a chuckle....happy hump day.

Brent

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Default Re: Amusing safety glasses

That's a funny mental image for sure

(although not half as funny as the realization that you have swimming goggles in your shop to "spot" to begin with....and I thought MY shop was cluttered )
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

hey I would never laugh at a guy in swim goggles...

we all wear them when I have my fall "Horseradish from Hell" making party

I've worn swim goggles while chopping onions...

In a pinch I've also used cycling shields for eye protection. Not CSA-approved, but built very similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Saskatoon View Post
    In a pinch I've also used cycling shields for eye protection. Not CSA-approved, but built very similarly.
    ... and I wear cheap shop glasses when I ride my bicycle to work in the winter, when I need clear glasses to keep dirt grime out of my eyes!

Obviously, no one doubts my fashion sense when they see me in my spandex and shop glasses on an old mountain bike with a plastic garbage can (Glad Roommate at $16 is the cheapest pannier possible) attached to the rack to carry things.

Sometimes you just have to Red Green it!

-w