FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Attaching cultured stone with PL400

Real Name
    Shawn

Default Attaching cultured stone with PL400

I am looking to install some left over stone from a previous project that I have kicking around. I am installing approx. 6 sq.ft. of cultured ledgestone and have used liquid nails to fix loose stones in the past but never to install the stone.

The stone is 4"H x 4-20"w and I will be doing one lower row 4"H and 3 vertical pieces 3'W up to the top row which will be 4"H. It is essentially just framing in my electric fireplace and tv on a wall unit I built. I am not concerned about the weight of it causing it to sag while it dries as it will rest on a ledger strip.

I figure it would be easier to load a tube in a caulking gun then mixing up the mortar and less messy as well. Come to think of it I am not even sure I would be able to fit my trowel into the 3" gaps that easily as well.....

Has any one tried or done this using PL400 or something equivalent?

Default Re: Attaching cultured stone with PL400

I can't comment on PL400. We have used PL premium for everything from wood to melamine to steel with excellent results. Just a caution on the PL400. We tried some PL200 on some steel hot rolled steel panels in a store and a panel fell off the wall. We fastened all panels that had been installed before with screws as a precaution, but when we examined the one that fell, we found glue on both surfaces and it looked like the glue itself failed (not the bond to metal or the bond to wood) We now use only PL premium

Don't they make a special adhesive for attaching cultured stone that comes in a tube just like PL 400? I've seen it at landscapers yards but never used it.

I've used all the PL adhesives professionally and they will all fail if you don't use them as directed and as designed. Some times you get lucky some times you don't.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

PL Premium will glue a toilet to a brick wall.....it'll definitely work for your application. I wouldn't use it for an outdoor install (no way to stop frost from getting behind the stone) or for a real fireplace (heat softens PL) but to put some accent stones on a piece of furniture? Go for it
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    PL Premium will glue a toilet to a brick wall.....it'll definitely work for your application.
    Even PL premium fails in some applications. I had a situation a few years back where PL premium failed and hundreds of feet of pre finished curved baseboard came loose on a commercial job I did. Pl premium had corrosive reaction with the backing metal the drywaller uses in his wall that I was attaching my base to. PL premium is supposed to bond galvanized metal but not this particular galvanized metal. The manufacturer recommended a chemical wash but wouldn't pay damages. Their tech literature says to do a test piece first, which we didn't do.

This is the adhesive I was thinking of for cultured stone http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/...k-Adhesive.htm

PL 400 is a good adhesive and would probably work. I use a lot of the stuff because it's half the price of PL premium and forms a stronger than wood bond. Loctite says it "will bond to most construction materials" I would try a test piece and leave it overnight and see how it bonds.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    Even PL premium fails in some applications. I had a situation a few years back where PL premium failed and hundreds of feet of pre finished curved baseboard came loose on a commercial job I did. Pl premium had corrosive reaction with the backing metal the drywaller uses in his wall that I was attaching my base to. PL premium is supposed to bond galvanized metal but not this particular galvanized metal. The manufacturer recommended a chemical wash but wouldn't pay damages. Their tech literature says to do a test piece first, which we didn't do.
    I don't doubt it....but neither the toilet nor the brick wall had any adverse reactions....I'll now know not to try a metal toilet though

Seriously though, he's talking about gluing 1 1/2" thick concrete "stones" to wood with a ledger in an indoor application. PLP is what I'd grab. The 400 would also likely work, but it doesn't have the initial tack that the Premium has, and when dealing with the drystack veneers with their irregualr edges you need as much tack as possible because they dont really "stack"
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Real Name
    Shawn

Thanks guys,

I have the PL premium and will most likely get to it tomorrow. Making drawers and patching drywall took longer than expected today.

PL takes a while to set.
    Be prepared to have the bricks slide down until the glue is hard. I have used hot melt glue to hold stuff until the PL hardens.
    Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Real Name
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
    PL takes a while to set.
    Be prepared to have the bricks slide down until the glue is hard. I have used hot melt glue to hold stuff until the PL hardens.
    Turned out fine, made a few ledgers out of scrap wood and some screws at a 45 degree angle on the tops and I was done before I would have even had the thinset mixed.

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    I don't doubt it....but neither the toilet nor the brick wall had any adverse reactions....I'll now know not to try a metal toilet though

Um... is the wall toilet functional or purely artistic? One never knows with you Ryan; wooden jack stand, wall toilet... what's next?