FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Canexcel Siding

Default Canexcel Siding

I am redoing the siding on part of my house and am trying to decide on what type of material to install.

Was at Lowes and looked at LP Canexcel engineered wood siding. I think I really like this stuff. Has anyone had any experience with it? I have done some searching on Google and everything I have found seems to indicate that it is a good product with a good track record. I am specifically considering the Ultra Plank to be installed vertically.

Here is a link: http://www.canexel.ca/en/products_li...tra_plank.html

Thanks
    Rick

Default Re: Canexcel Siding

Hi Rick: I've used Canexcel siding quite a few times although it's been awhile. Have always been pleased with the end result and think it looks considerably better than most vinyl siding profiles. Many of their profiles work well in any orientation...horizontal, vertical or angled. The only thing about it I never really cared for too much was doing butt joints. They supply a colour-matched caulking for that now which does work and look better than the metal cleats they origionally used for the joints.
    If you do use it, get about twice as much more of the caulking that they recommend in the installation instructions...you'll go through it. The only problem I have had with it was getting bundles of the siding that had a bow in them; literally impossible to straighten out adequately. The up side to that was, at least then; the company really stood behind their product, going so far as to send out a rep to the job site within 24 hrs from the time I contacted them. Put a chalk line on the edge of one piece to show him; he asked me how many bundles I thought were bad, he got on his cell and ordered almost double what I told him and I had the replacement siding on the job site the next morning. This was all free of charge and he didn't want the bad product returned. Ended up using it to side a fairly large shed for another customer.

Good luck, Mark.

I purchased about 2500 sq ft a few years back to do my house. Like Marks experience, it was crowned. By the time I got to the 3rd row on a 28' wall, I had a 1" gap in the siding. After complaining to HD, they had a rep come out and look at it. At first, he tried to convince me to cut the siding into shorter pieces (6'!) to get around the crowning. I explained that it would look like crap and cost a fortune in caulking and that I wasn't interested. He then offered to replace the damaged bundles, and I told them to take all the bundles back as I wasn't interested in testing every piece and waiting weeks for replacement pieces. They finally gave in and credited my money back.

Still like the look of the product compared to vinyl siding. You may also want to consider the Hardy cement board that looks pretty much the same.

Also, google for information on mould problems that they had decades ago. I think the problem has been resolved now.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

I don't know the product at all but I will offer a couple of thoughts for you.

1. Do you have to paint it?
    2. if you have horizontal siding now and change to vertical are you sure your house will look good? Several house styles do not look good with vertical siding. Low and long looks good. High and narrow does not.
    3. Will the seamS seal against water penetration? Vertical vinyl siding seals because of the lock, Board type sidings DO NOT. IF YOU HAVE TO CAULK THE SEAMS I WOULD NOT USE IT.
    4. Do you have to leave gaps for expansion?
    5. Is your house 2 story?
    6. How long are the boards?
    7. How much waste will you get?
    Last edited by Rusty; 10-19-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Good evening Rick. There are three basic types of siding: Canexel, Maibec and Fraser. Maibec and Fraser are wood and Canexel is a composite. The highest grade and the best quality is Maibec which costs about .50 cents more the others. A few weeks ago I put Fraser which is made in New Brunswick on our home. I don't like Canexel because I am not sure the color will hold up in 30 years and Fraser is guaranteed 20 years but if you paint it after putting it on your home they will double the guarantee. The siding comes out to about 2 $ a square foot. There is very little waste. I cut the joining boards at a 45 degree angle for a perfect fit and I didn't have to caulk the joints. What really costs alot is the white trim around the windows and the white corners. My neighbor put corners and trim around his windows with the same materiel and color as his siding and that looked good too. I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Bye for now,.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

This is not going on the while house, I'm redoing a single story rear addition which is 10' deep by 30' wide across the rear of the house. The house itself is 1 1/2 story, brick veneered on the lower with white horizontal vinyl on the gables on the upper.

Mostly I am just tired of the same old vinyl look that is on every house you see everywhere you look.

I still need to give this some more thought, I guess.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick

I would seriously consider a cement board siding and two of the manufacturers are Hardy and Certain Teen. You can get Hardy prepainted or paint it after install. The nice thing with the cement board is that you can Blind nail it and you don't see the heads of the nails. This relates to Horizontal siding. Nice to see that someone else is not a fan of vinyl siding no mattter how tastefully you select the color. It still is vinyl siding. If you decide to go the wood route I would give Townsend Lumber a call. They sell unpainted horizontal pine siding and I think it is somewhere around .60 cents a foot for 8 inch widths. With a good solid color stain it will last a long time. I have it on my shop and it is 8 years old and no sign of fading. I built my own house in 93 near Totenham and it looks as good today as when I put it on. The important thing is to stain the rough sawn side as Maibec and the others do. Also with wood siding forget staining it with a brush. My wife and I started the shop and in about 3 hrs we had done 6 boards. Rented an airless, sprayed on the stain with a friend back brushing it in and did the whole shop in two days. both sides of the board. Good luck in your venture.

Brian

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I agree with Brian about Vinyl siding. I owned an aluminum siding company when I lived in Ontario but there is a place for Vinyl and it's in the West. Vinyl is the material of choice on the Prairies because of the severe Hail storms we get. Aluminum dented all to hell. Vinyl doesn't. Wood siding is a definite no no because of expansion and contraction and the dry climate sucks the moisture out of the wood causing a ton of shrinkage.

You're lucky you have so many useable choices but don't blow it on unproven products.

Another problem I hate with additions is covering them with anything that makes them look like bolt ons.

Canexel is a good product. The 2 tone finish will fade faster than a solid colour. Also look at KWP siding, basically the equivalent but made in Canada and cheaper.
    Fwiw, I have no problem with vinyl siding as others do. I got better things to do than paint/stain my house. Been there done that.... Detailed properly and installed properly, vinyl is pretty much a perfect product if you don't mind the imitation look. The problem is too much vinyl or too much of anything including all brick, all siding, all stucco etc is boring and bland. Exteriors need simple mixes of material to keep it interesting.

Here's a house I designed and built a few years back. stone, Canexel, cedar shakes etc. BTW, it's not my place, I can't even afford the taxes in that neighbourhood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul