FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 male end extention cord

Question 2 male end extention cord

hi .i have a litle problem .today i did buy a medecine cabinet with 2 light on top of it .
    now the problem is it is a male plug that is on the side of the cabinet to get the light plug in .
    now my safety plug is about 16 inch from that cabinet plug .
    now do they sell any 2 male end cord .
    or what if i buy one and cut the female end and put on a male end .
    confuse here .
    thank you .

Default Re: 2 male end extention cord

No they don't, and please do not make one, it would be very dangerous. Think about if one end is plugged in, the other end is now live, and since it is a male end there is nothing preventing you (or your child) from touching it and being severely shocked.
    It's not about you.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtMulder View Post
    No they don't, and please do not make one, it would be very dangerous. Think about if one end is plugged in, the other end is now live, and since it is a male end there is nothing preventing you (or your child) from touching it and being severely shocked.
    thank you very much for the fast reply .i know what you are saying .i have been a carpenter for 40 years .
    but they had to have one that came with the cabinet .how cant you get the light to work then .
    i did buy today [used ] 15.00 they cust 129.00 .
    now the way i see how to do it is to open the box were the 2 light are .cut the wire at the male plug then put a peice a cord that will plug to my safety plug .so this way it is safe .
    i do not have any kid .am 66 all by my seft .no visitor ever .
    here is what i have [cabinet]and the link for it how it look .Cabinet 555IL - Surface Mounted Cabinet with Built-In Top Light - 555IL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

I think what you're looking at is a receptacle on the fixture, for you to plug an electric razor into.

Wall mounted cabinets with built in lights are meant to go over an electrical box in the wall, or have the house wiring go directly into them.

They aren't designed to be plugged in.

Have a look at the back of your cabinet, I bet you have a wiring section where the fixture wires are located.

Regards, Rod.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

good call rod, i'll bet you are correct

a double ended male extention cord is a disaster waiting to happen, the cabinet has to have a connection through the back
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Quote Originally Posted by yvesjj View Post
    hi .i have a litle problem .today i did buy a medecine cabinet with 2 light on top of it .
    now the problem is it is a male plug that is on the side of the cabinet to get the light plug in .
    now my safety plug is about 16 inch from that cabinet plug .
    confuse here .
    thank you .
    You really really need an electrician to help you with this, or buy a cabinet with no light.

Don

thank you all .yes you are right on that about pluging a razer or what ever to the cabinet plug .never came to my mind .lol .i should a know that one .to old i guess.
    i just did put it up on the wall .but i will take it down tomorrow and take a look at the back and see if there is wire there to be connected to a electrical box .
    if it is the case i done .
    because the house is about 75 years old .all plastter wall with the wood late .well you know what i mean .the wall are about 1 1/2 tick .so there is no way to fish a wire up there .
    so my best bet will be like i said .connect a electrical cord from the wire behing the cabinet then plug it to my safety plug .it about 16 inch away .
    not only that i have been fixing that place since i move in .up to 2000.00 of my own money .but i get it back every month .200.00 off my rent ..
    the light is no big deal for now anyway .this was my last finishing .sink and medecine cabinet .ha well it life .as long that i have water tomorrow in the batroom .
    i will let you know what happen tomorrow .
    thank again for all you help .
    yvesj

Rental unit: ensure that everything is to code.

I have several double male plug on cords that are about eight inches long but they have a very specific purpose and are only used for that. Fortunetly they have yet to be used except for the initial tryout.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

A double male ended cord is not called a suicide cord for nothing. Those cords should be destroyed. They are totally illegal.

Next time you put up 400 feet of Xmas lights and discover you're left with a female end at the plug in source, you may make up a 2 male one. Trust me on that one.

A double male extension cord is an accident/ disaster waiting to happen!!!

yes it is very bad to use them .
    but here i do not have much choice if i want the light to work on my medecine cabinet .
    now yesterday i did buy a white extention cord .white because my wall i really close to white .it do not show as much .any way i cut it then i did buy but a male end .i did put it on .now it is plug to the outlet at the medecine cabinet .work perfect .all i have to do is plug the cord to my safety plug i live it on all day till i go to bed.the cord is 14 inch long .the cabinet plug is 72 inch hight .today i will glue it to the cabinet plug with epoxy glue .it should stay there even if you pull on it .but right now it is really hard to pull out so if it glue it should be ok
    what do you thing if i put epoxy glue on the plung .or just glue the male and female togeter but only on plastic to plastic .if i sand the plastic it should stick there .
    like i said .no kids here .only me .
    thank for you you advice guy .

That is incorrect, it is wrong, it has been explained to you. You have this connected incorrectly, it is dangerous, no doubt if you took it down and looked in the back you will now find two energized bare wires where it should be connected properly. A fire marshal or insurance agent should be called as this is a dangerous situation.

Sorry to be blunt but you are in over your head, you are courting with disaster.

When I was a kid I came up to my bedroom once to discover all the power was out. When I reset the breaker, it clicked off again. I tried one more time after unplugging a stereo and went back to my room to discover that one of my outlets was ON FIRE and the fire was quickly spreading to the wallpaper. It had worked just fine for years before that.

Two years ago my car, a 2003 Chevy Cavalier, was also the victim of (likely) an electrical short that eventually caused a fire in the engine compartment. It was likely started by an animal chewing on a wire, perhaps attracted to the warmth from the engine after I parked. The entire hood went up in flames and it was obviously a total write off.

My point is that electrical problems are not always immediately visible but have the potential to cause enormous damage. At the least, a painful (or worse!) electric shock. (How would you like to touch the cabinet frame one morning and discover the whole thing was energized?) You say you live all by yourself, no kids, no visitors, ever. How would you like it if your family discovered you one day, DEAD, because of a silly wiring mistake? At worst, it could burn your entire house down. And if the insurance company investigates and finds illegal or improperly installed wiring, guess how much money they're going to give you?

Don't mess with electrical if you don't know what you're doing. It's not a matter of pride or ego. It's absolutely a matter of safety.
    Last edited by GreyingJay; 10-21-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yvesjj View Post
    confuse here .
    thank you .
    Yves,

With all due respect, everyone has told you this is unsafe and not to do it.

Why did you post the question if you where going to do it anyway no matter what anyone said?

Please, hire an electrician to run the wire to install it properly or return the old cabinet and buy a new one and a seperate wall light that is made to be plugged in.

Matt
    SPCHT

thank .ok now i will undo what i did .
    i will buy one more extention cord .then i will connect it to the 2 wire that suppose to be connected to the electrical box on the wall .
    so this way there will no danger at all .
    all i will need to do is drill a hole to the side of the medecine cabinet .then put a rubber ring and put the electrical wire in that rubber ring ..
    then put the cover back on top of the medecine cabinet .
    what do you thing .
    yes you are right it is a really bad set up .even if i am all by my self it still really bad .
    a electrician would be no good here .there no way to bring a wire 14/2 to a box in the wall .i know all about this place .i have been fixing it since i move here .by the way i am renthing here
    i took the cheminy down .it was in the dem kitchen .i took wall down .the floor .there 3 layers .wall are about 9 inch tick .all plaster .but for the age off the house there no crack at all in the plaster .really solid .i cut a hole in the wall to resest the frige in .
    now the electrical panel is out side in the next door drive way .lol .how cant the hydro go for this **** .that get me . it not even a water proof .no box to cover it .so when it rain guess what .yes the water get in there .so if the inspector like to do some thing there you go he as a job .they should know about that because they did connect the hydro to it [panel]the braker are bold on and clip on .really hard to find then ..
    thank you .

Uh; hate to say this, but a plug in cord wired to the bathroom cabinet box may still be non code.
    Egon
    from

Blog Entries

I can't stop laughing. Good prank Yves. You really got some of the guys going.

Now take the disguise off, and tell us who you really are. You Rick Mercer by chance? Tired of doin' this on Americans?
    Kevin

Ah well, one never knows!
    Egon
    from

Real Name
    Brandon (18)

I'm only 16, but when i was 8 i made a work bench for my shop and i ran into having that problem i wanted an outlet on my bench so i got the outlet and one of those 6 in 1 plugs and got a 10' extension cord cut the female end off bought a male end, now i have two male ends plugged one into the outlet on the bench and one into the the outlet on the wall. Now when i plug some thing into one of the 5 outlets ill have power =D

and before doing all this i cut an extra 3" or so off the cord used the female end i cut off and bought a male end put that together and now if i need to use the extension cord after i just plug the two together and have a male and female end =D

I'll post some pics tomorrow getting late school in the morning ..
    A Termite walked into a pub and asked,
    "Where's the bar tender?

Apprentice at Ledlie Construction Ltd
    "Never think you know every thing, when it comes to carpentry you're always learning"