FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compound Mitre Saw

Default Compound Mitre Saw

Greetings fellow woodworkers, this is my first post in this forum:

I just had a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw given to me, it's a "Superior" Model SCMS 10L. There is also another number on the label APT 640. I searched on the Internet for about an hour, but no such model seems to exist. The reason I was given this saw was that the switch needs to be replaced, also the trigger for the switch is missing. If anyone has any information or a source where I could purchase a parts and/or repair manual, I would be very thankful hearing from you.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Default Re: Compound Mitre Saw

If you can post some pics we can likely tell you which saw it is the same as, and you can order from them.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    If you can post some pics we can likely tell you which saw it is the same as, and you can order from them.
    Thank's for the quick reply. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to do it on this forum. Being almost 80 makes me " technically challenged", so please bear with me, I'll get the picture in somehow.

These are a variety of cheap hardware store saws, the switch going is a common problem. i have not bothered to replace mine as the saw doesn't cut square, is impossible to tune, sounds like a jet with a flock of seagulls being ripped through the engine, has inaccurate angles, makes poor cuts and just plain ticks me off. Better luck to you though!

Real Name
    Duh, like, Scott?

It's probably from these guys:

http://www.superiorairco.com/public/products.shtml

Cheap offshore stuff...but reasonable quality. I was given one of their small compressors, which has been surprisingly useful.
    Last edited by Scott M; 10-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Busy Bee carried a few of their tools some time ago - I don't recall seeing a mitre saw but my memory is no longer iperfect (my wife says it never was). Might be worth a call or email.

If your located in Alberta, Totem Building supplies sells "Superior" tools.
    You could probably find out where you can get parts from, from them.
    Here's a link for Totems store contact info.
    http://www.totem.ca/locations.aspx
    Good Luck & have a good week.

hi Breslau...Home Hardware used to sell Superior tools, I think they still do. I have an inferior Superior biscuit jointer kicking around someplace that I got from there.

Good luck, Mark.

My thanks to everyone who answered my call for help. Scott M's link to the manufacturer was right on. I now have not only a source for parts, but also a complete parts list for the saw. So, thanks again, and a happy Halloween to all.

I have the same saw and the switch is broken. But the link in the previous post doesn't work . If anyone know of another site could you please post back Thanks switch info FA2-10/1W-B1.

I have a couple of Superior brand air nailers and when one broke, I tried to get parts. The internet locations (listed above) will not accept emails. When I checked locally, I was always told that the company no longer exists. You need to find something similar from a different manufacturer to see if parts are interchangeable.

Cam

Here is a russian site with the exact one I need but can't figure out how to order
    http://translate.google.ca/translate...381.htm&anno=2
    FA2-10/1W-B1 10A(KG0175)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calhoaa View Post
    I have the same saw and the switch is broken. But the link in the previous post doesn't work . If anyone know of another site could you please post back Thanks switch info FA2-10/1W-B1.
    If you delete everything after the .com, it brings you to a "Site Under Construction" advisory page.

Maybe try calling Totem (previous post)
    Kevin

Hello. I have the same saw (branded as Airco APT640). The smoke got out today. Inside the handle next to the switch is a very charred module. I suspect it is a rectifier module.

To Breslau or anyone else who may have it, can you send me a copy of the Parts List so I can at least see what it was supposed to be before it burned up. (I think you can email through this forum, as I selected that option when I registered.)

Thanks very much, Alex Armstrong.

I had the same issue with the exact same saw (APT640). I tinkered with it & ended up replacing the overly complicated & fragile trigger with a well positioned good old fashioned toggle switch. I literally pulled the guts out of the handle & touched wires together until it started. Took those 2 wires & put the switch between them. I then mounted the switch on the right hand side, by where my index finger normally sits. I also positioned the switch so it's pull for on, push for off, very easy to "swat off" in an emergency. It works like a charm for the switch now.

On the other side of the coin, the damn bracket at the back, where you adjust the angle for the blade broke clean off the slide mount... Anyone know where a gal can get a replacement bracket?

Leslea

Kudos for your ingenuity, Leslea!

I'd make one suggestion...get that toggle switch out of there ASAP and swap it in for a "momentary" toggle switch. They are available in the same size, shape, and function the same as a standard toggle switch, except it only stays "on" while you hold it there. Might seem trivial, but accidents do happen, and I'd much rather have a saw that needs me to keep running that one that I need to turn off.

No clue on your bracket, though. A picture of the item, perhaps?
    --
    CK

I'm good with the current switch... I'm one of those crazy types that uses an 80 yo table saw... Pre-safety gear. I'm just extremely careful. I wasn't once & had to argue with the doctor to at least TRY to save my middle right finger. I had had a disagreement with a skilsaw. And lost.

Fortunately I kept the finger & can still flip the bird with the best of em! ;)

I'll definitely take a pic of the bracket. I have a friend welding it & reinforcing it. It won't be pretty, but it WILL be solid.

L

I successfully fixed one up with a burnt switch and hope that others can recycle theirs as well. Here's my page on it - http://gwinfo.net/fixit-corner/superior-mitre-saw/

sold by Peavey mart in Saskatchewan. Low end. It has framed out a few basements and still works. lazer lasted a day. They don't get stolen ......

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Weyburn View Post
    . They don't get stolen ......
    There is always a postive to every tool, sometimes you just have to look a little harder.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"