FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV/Veritas Chisels

North of the Checkerboard (Bruce Peninsula, Ont.)

Default LV/Veritas Chisels

I was on another woodworking forum yesterday and Rob Lee had a post concerning new chisels they are coming out with, see below.

"We shoud have at least three styles (eventually) - Mortise, Bench, and Butt/utility ... we have the basic designs and are firming up exact configurations now. At least one of the three will bring something new to the table (in terms of design - not just material). We've not yet completed our steel review - our testing is still in progress. We've made something like 120 different chisels, with dozens of different blades.... we only intend to choose a material once (though it could be different for each style). There could be some surprises there too.

We have a custom griding machine being built in Germany right now - and expect delivery April 2011 or later.... so that pretty much means we'll be late summer or so."

Cheers -

Rob

This is good news. I have been hoping they would come out with chisels for a number of years now. I am especially interested in mortise chisels, I hope they are in the pigsticker style similar to Ray Isles chisels.

Billy

Default Re: LV/Veritas Chisels

I don't see why this is considered good news. This is bad news for all of us as it means more Lee Valley expenditures!

Real Name
    Jason

Im glad to see LV getting into the premum chisel market,,, My wallet on the other hand

Something to look forward to when they open the new store in Waterloo next August. I am in need of some new chisels.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I was on another woodworking forum yesterday and Rob Lee had a post concerning new chisels they are coming out with, see below.

"We shoud have at least three styles (eventually) - Mortise, Bench, and Butt/utility ... we have the basic designs and are firming up exact configurations now. At least one of the three will bring something new to the table (in terms of design - not just material). We've not yet completed our steel review - our testing is still in progress. We've made something like 120 different chisels, with dozens of different blades.... we only intend to choose a material once (though it could be different for each style). There could be some surprises there too.

We have a custom griding machine being built in Germany right now - and expect delivery April 2011 or later.... so that pretty much means we'll be late summer or so."

Cheers -

Rob

This is good news. I have been hoping they would come out with chisels for a number of years now. I am especially interested in mortise chisels, I hope they are in the pigsticker style similar to Ray Isles chisels.

Billy
    Plus one for the mortice chisels. There have been lots of sources for bench chisels and even paring chisels for quite while now; imperial sized mortice chisels are rarer than hen teeth!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Plus one for the mortice chisels. There have been lots of sources for bench chisels and even paring chisels for quite while now; imperial sized mortice chisels are rarer than hen teeth!!

Ken
    Lee Valley just posted a set of 5 for $49. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! That looks like a good deal but I'm worried that if I buy these, I'll regret it when LV comes out with new ones.

If I didn't already have the 1/4 and 3/8 Hirsch mortise chisels, I'd be all over this set. 5/16 is a handy size. Don't chop by hand often enough to justify duplicates.

Jim B

Those Narex chisels are a good buy, the bench chisels get good reviews considering the price. I am going to wait for the LV ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak Jim View Post
    If I didn't already have the 1/4 and 3/8 Hirsch mortise chisels, I'd be all over this set. 5/16 is a handy size. Don't chop by hand often enough to justify duplicates.

Jim B
    These look to be more the Hirsch style than the pig-sticker style. Sure does look like a heck of a deal for anyone who doesn't have any mortice chisels yet.

Real Name
    Darren Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
    These look to be more the Hirsch style than the pig-sticker style.
    What is the difference between the Hirsch style, the pig-sticker style, and this style? I really have no frame of reference. Why would you choose one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
    Sure does look like a heck of a deal for anyone who doesn't have any mortice chisels yet.
    I don't, but would love a set, as I want to start a project with some hand cut mortise and tenons.
    Darren Brewster
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by ExCrusader View Post
    What is the difference between the Hirsch style, the pig-sticker style, and this style? I really have no frame of reference. Why would you choose one over the other.
    I can't currently say I'd choose one over the other. I have a couple of the Hirsch chisels and want to get a pig sticker to compare. It looks to me like these have more in common with the Hirsches I have, than with the pig stickers I've seen pictures of, although according to the description these have an oval handle which would be nice to help keep the chisel straight in the mortice. Just google images for 'pig sticker chisel' to see what they look like.

The pig sticker style seem to be the design of choice by many who frequent the larger US based WW forums. I'm not sure of the reason but suspect as Kerry says its the oval handle providing good registration reference. I usually just let my fingers extend past the handle on to the shaft to help keep the chisel aligned.

The Hirsch seem almost too big especially in the small 1/4" size. If you're chopping deep 1/2" mortises in a workbench that massive handle would be a plus.

For $50 you can't go wrong with the Narex.

Jim B

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Those Narex chisels are a good buy, the bench chisels get good reviews considering the price. I am going to wait for the LV ones though.
    Billy (and everyone...!) -

Just so you're not overlooking anything... when the Veritas chisels come - they sure won't be inexpensive. Can't even guess at the price just yet, but $40-$50 each isn't out of the question.

For the narex chisels - I'm buying a set myself....!

Cheers -

Rob

Good to hear there'll be another option for quality chisels. I hope the handles will be made out of wood, but somehow I'm guessing there's some synthetic material out there that's better suited to the purpose. IMHO $40 would be a good price point because it seems that a lot of quality chisels start at around $50 or more.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    Good to hear there'll be another option for quality chisels. I hope the handles will be made out of wood, but somehow I'm guessing there's some synthetic material out there that's better suited to the purpose. IMHO $40 would be a good price point because it seems that a lot of quality chisels start at around $50 or more.
    Hi Frank -

Wood handles for sure...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob

I did not think that the chisels would be cheap, $40. to $50. for a very well made chisel which I am sure they will be is not bad in my opinion. I am still going to wait for them. The only problem is my LV wish list keeps getting longer even though I keep buying, funny how that works out.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Billy (and everyone...!) -

Just so you're not overlooking anything... when the Veritas chisels come - they sure won't be inexpensive. Can't even guess at the price just yet, but $40-$50 each isn't out of the question.

For the narex chisels - I'm buying a set myself....!

Cheers -

Rob
    Genius! Pure Genius!

+1 on this. Everytime I make a trip to LV I think "that's it...I'm good for a few more months/years." It's such a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by charlton View Post
    +1 on this. Everytime I make a trip to LV I think "that's it...I'm good for a few more months/years." It's such a lie!
    Hey -

Our payroll is every two weeks.... got not choice!!!

Cheers -

Rob
    (the tool pusher...)