FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse electric motor switch

Default Reverse electric motor switch

hi. i have a really good question for you guy .
    now i use to make handmade knives .from 1993 to 2007 .now i was using a 1/2 sealet fan motor .the guy were i did buy the motor set it up to be able to reverse from turning right to left with a swicht .
    now here is my question .i just did order a 6 inch disk with a 2 inch belt .that 2 inch belt will come out and i will put my buffing weel there .so this way i will have the 2 unit in one .it is only to do a hachet handle that i made for my grandson .selling for 250.00 each when i was selling them .knives was 125.00 any tipe .
    so is it possisable to set up a swicht to a grainder motor to reverse right to left .
    here is what i will [picture] .
    thank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: reverse electric motor swicth

Quote Originally Posted by yvesjj View Post
    now i use to make handmade knives .from 1993 to 2007 .now i was using a 1/2 sealet fan motor .the guy were i did buy the motor set it up to be able to reverse from turning right to left with a swicht .
    now here is my question .i just did order a 6 inch disk with a 2 inch belt .that 2 inch belt will come out and i will put my buffing weel there .so this way i will have the 2 unit in one .it is only to do a hachet handle that i made for my grandson .selling for 250.00 each when i was selling them .knives was 125.00 any tipe .
    so is it possisable to set up a swicht to a grainder motor to reverse right to left .
    thank
    here is the motor that the guy setup for with a reverse swicht in 1993

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Reverse electric motor switch

The black motor in your second post is relatively easy to reverse direction because in that type of motor all the leads are brought out so it can be setup for rotation direction and probably 120 or 240V operation.

Whether you can reverse the motor for your belt device, it depends on the type of motor used.

Small motors such as used on grinders are often what's called a split-phase type and the connections may be buried in the windings such that may be very difficult if not impossible to separate leads to reverse the direction. I've never tried to do it.

You should be aware that on grinders and similar devices the shaft has a left-hand thread on the left side and a right-hand (normal) thread on the right side. This is so forces against the wheel tighten rather than loosen the wheel or pulley. Reversing the rotation means the forces tend to loosen rather than tighten. On the reversible motor you showed, the pulley is typically held in position with a key or setscrews so the rotation direction does not affect its ability to remain fixed on the shaft.

billh

thank you for all your explaination .
    yes i do know about the shaft theard.because for my buffing i did not buy a real buffing motor .what i did i use a 1 hp then i got a shaft made at a machine shop to get the thread like you just mention above .
    i do not go back at making knives again .it is because i am 66 and all i like to do is put the handle on the hatchet before i get to old .that as been to my grandson since i did the blade .
    now i do have a really big bowie .the blade is all done .now i have to ship it in toronto to the heat treating plan to get at 60 rockwell .so after that you cant not put a hedge on it by your self .the blade is to hard .i do it with my 6 disk using 350 grits sand paper
    the native peoples in northbay use my fileting knives to fillet all the pekerels. and they use to do about 1500 of them before they brind me the knives so i could put a hedge back on it .
    it is all done with sand paper .
    when i shape my blades .i start with 80 gritt up to 1200 gritt then i polish them .then to go to the plan .after i receive them back i put the handle on them and i do the case ..
    the reverse motor is good because it is when i put the new hedge on the knive that i really need it to turn both way .it the blade stuck on the sand paper the weel turning up well you just get kill one time of the blade did get in my face i had to go to the hospital to get stich on my lip .lol
    that 6 disk weel is turning really fast .so you will not see the knive go off your hand beleive me .
    so i guess i will forget to have grainder turn right and left .
    like you said it inside .i know what you talking about .
    i had to sell all my knives making tool when my X deceided to sell the house.could not take the tools with in a appartment period .
    thank again

thank you for all your explaination .
    yes i do know about the shaft theard.because for my buffing i did not buy a real buffing motor .what i did i use a 1 hp then i got a shaft made at a machine shop to get the thread like you just mention above .
    i do not go back at making knives again .it is because i am 66 and all i like to do is put the handle on the hatchet before i get to old .that as been to my grandson since i did the blade .
    now i do have a really big bowie .the blade is all done .now i have to ship it in toronto to the heat treating plan to get at 60 rockwell .so after that you cant not put a hedge on it by your self .the blade is to hard .i do it with my 6 disk using 350 grits sand paper
    the native peoples in northbay use my fileting knives to fillet all the pekerels. and they use to do about 1500 of them before they brind me the knives so i could put a hedge back on it .
    it is all done with sand paper .
    when i shape my blades .i start with 80 gritt up to 1200 gritt then i polish them .then to go to the plan .after i receive them back i put the handle on them and i do the case ..
    the reverse motor is good because it is when i put the new hedge on the knive that i really need it to turn both way .it the blade stuck on the sand paper the weel turning up well you just get kill one time of the blade did get in my face i had to go to the hospital to get stich on my lip .lol
    that 6 disk weel is turning really fast .so you will not see the knive go off your hand beleive me .
    so i guess i will forget to have grainder turn right and left .
    like you said it inside .i know what you talking about .
    i had to sell all my knives making tool when my X deceided to sell the house.could not take the tools with in a appartment period .
    thank again
    sorry the sand paper is 320 not 350 gritt .it as been to lomg .lol

as for my buffing weel .i will put a 1 1/2 pully on the grainder shaft .then i will buy a other shaft .canadain tire .???then i will put a 5 pully on that shaft then the 8 inch and one inch tick buffing weel will go on that shaft .
    so by using a 1 1/2 on the grainder shaft will gave a lot of power .well more then direct on the grainder .
    because to buff you only need about 1700 rpm not 3400.so by using 1 1/2 to a 5 pully i will reduse the speed and gave me more power .
    really to buff you need at least 1 hp but 1 1/2 is what you need .
    but a real buffing motor cust about 300 and up .so forget it .
    this why i got that grainder i will have to 2 in one .lol

thank

this is what i will do with my grainder .

Real Name
    Steve Morris

ac induction motors will run equally well in either direction, its how the start windings are connected

a reversible motor will have a wiring diagram under the electrical box and a switch could be wired in to reverse the start winding

of course you could leave the start winding disconnected then give the shaft a good spin in the desired direction to get it going!!

the grinder motor will almost certainly not be reversible, can you mount it so that you can access the back side and use it for reverse buffing? ie on a pedestal or on a swivel?
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

thank you .but the buffing part is ok .
    it is when i put the cutting edge on a new blade that i need the reverse motor .
    let say that the disk is turning clock wise .this is ok for right side of blade because it is pulling down .i am on the right side of the disk when i do right side of the cutting edge
    now if i go and do the left side of the blade the disk is turnig up ward because i have to be on the left of the weel [disk] so if the edge of the blade catch the sand paper the weel turning up .well you are asking for a really big trouble .because if the edge of the blade ever do you will not see it go flying the blade will be living at 3400 rpm up in the air .
    i know because it did happen to me one time .i was lucky because it was only a small patato knifes .you know the 99 cents knife .now you take a 10 bowie knive blade 1 1/4 wide 3/16 tick and 15 1/2 inch long like i have now to put a edge on it .well you very close to be dead if she hit you in the face
    this why the motor have to reverse so that way when you the new edge on a brand new blade there is no danger .
    but i cant spend money on a reverse motor only to make 2 handle and 2 new edge .
    i be ok

i just solve my problem .i will order the disc plate .the work table .the disc guarde .etc .etc. all i need for the right hand side of the motor .
    so now i will have left side turning clock wise .the right side turning counter clock .so now i be ok .
    all will do is find a use grainder for buffing .
    all the parts i need will cust me 49.65 at my door from grizzly .
    not bad at all .
    thank you all .
    yvesjj

i just solve my problem .i will order the disc plate .the work table .the disc guarde .etc .etc. all i need for the right hand side of the motor .
    so now i will have left side turning clock wise .the right side turning counter clock .so now i be ok .
    all will do is find a use grainder for buffing .
    all the parts i need will cust me 49.65 at my door from grizzly .
    not bad at all .
    thank you all .
    yvesjj
    am back .now i like to buy this motor .so cant it be set up for right and left with the swicht picture .
    the swicgt is the same that i was using on the one that i had set up in 1993 [on.off.on]
    let me know before i order it .

am back .now i like to buy this motor .so cant it be set up for right and left with the swicht picture .
    the swicgt is the same that i was using on the one that i had set up in 1993 [on.off.on]
    let me know before i order it .
    sorry i did not put the 2 pictures in

Real Name
    Steve Morris

if its a double pole, double throw, center off switch, it should work

remember the direction of an ac induction motor is determined only by the polarity/wiring of the start winding, polarity of the main winding makes no difference
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post

remember the direction of an ac induction motor is determined only by the polarity/wiring of the start winding, polarity of the main winding makes no difference
    Actually Steve it's determined by the phase relationship between the two windings.

The motor can't tell whether you've changed that by reversing the start or running windings.

It is customary to reverse the start windings, it is however not required, you could reverse the run winding.

Regards, Rod.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

yes you are right, i see that!!

maybe the simplest way to reverse a motor would be with two start switches(one for each direction) as well as a regular power switch, maybe even two push buttons for the start circuit

then there's the old disable the start winding and use a good tug in the correct direction!!
    steve, sarnia, ont

thank you .that is the swicht that i use on my 1/2 lesson motor for about 12 years .
    i had the swicht set orisontal .
    so when i push the swicht to the left .the disc was turning counter clock .center was stop .if i push the swicht to the right the disc was turning clock wise .
    working perfect for me .
    now you know that grinder that i did buy picture above .
    now i did took off the little drawer off .and under it you have all the wire there .there i capacitor .2 white wire.
    going to the motor .1 black.1 blue.1 brun .
    there is 2 turet .
    one turet .2 white .1 black .
    secound turet .
    1 black .1 brun .
    to the swicht .2 black .
    so is it possible to set it to reverse from right to left .

here is the motor info [Leeson Reversible Pedestal Fan Electric Motor — 1/2 HP, 1650 RPM

Real Name
    Steve Morris

should be fairly easy

there should be a wiring diagram on the backside of the coverplate or on the motor

if there is take a picture and post it
    steve, sarnia, ont

thank you .
    are you sure .
    let me go and see what i cant find for you on the motor .
    it is mada in china .so dont expect to much info from them .[junk]

should be fairly easy

there should be a wiring diagram on the backside of the coverplate or on the motor

if there is take a picture and post it
    nothing on motor .
    there is no back plate .
    if you look at the picture of the grinder you will see the small yellow drawer .so this is what i took off the box the hold the yellow drawer .
    and the wire are under it .all open .the size of the bottom of the grinder .
    now i did took the sticker that is on the motor and i did take a picture of it here it is .
    but there not much on it .
    take a look at it