FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: termite gouge vs hunter carbide tool

Default termite gouge vs hunter carbide tool

Xmas gift idea pre-order from my daughter. What tool is the better gouge; the termite vs the hunter carbide tool. Has anyone tried them both. Appreciate any comments.

Errol

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: termite gouge vs hunter carbide tool

I only have the Termite and I like it for end-grain hollowing. There are lots of people who like the Hunter tool and it seems to have the advantage perhaps that it can be used to take very fine delicate cuts on various pieces that might not work as well with the Termite.

Here is a thread that is a couple of years old that contains comments from a lot of well-respected turners.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5263

billh

Thanks Bill
    Wish I could try both before purchasing. I will have to think about this a little more.

Errol

Hi Errol, I have never tried the hunter, But I do have a Termite, And It works great, Very well made and easy to use.
    Dan From Rockwood ,Ont.

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Quote Originally Posted by Errol Schell View Post
    Xmas gift idea pre-order from my daughter. What tool is the better gouge; the termite vs the hunter carbide tool. Has anyone tried them both. Appreciate any comments.

Errol
    Errol this is comparing apples and orange in a way.

The Termite is a cutting tool like your bowl gouge, for end grain turning hollowing where you can't get the bevel of a gouge positioned so it can cut the wood like your gouge will, it works very well, I have the termite and have used quite a bit over the years, if it isn't end grain cutting, forget trying to use it, it just will not work a darn, that's IMO .

I/we tried the carbide cutter, (an aggressive minnie scraper really) with different size cutters on it, tried it on a couple occasions and were never able to get a good surface, at least not as good as I/we are able to get with the conventional gouges.

As it happens a fellow turner lives here right behind my place, (he was a very capable locksmith before retiring) and he has been making and selling these tools and some other things like captured systems and metal gouge handles at out turners club here, and he does very nice/professional work, and so it is not some shoddy made tool that you can blame.
    It is just that a scraper like tool is not capable to make the same surface as a conventional gouge.

So I say learning to use the Termite (yes you have to learn how to use it) is worthwhile.

The Carbide bit tools are easier to start with, after all it works a lot like a scraper, just hold them almost vertical and start to twist the tool till it starts cutting wood .
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-25-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Thank you all for the information.
    I will pass on the termite tool as a gift idea for my daughter and think of a hollowing tool for the future.

Errol

Leo
    Glad you are there for us newbies.
    You are wealth of information.

Errol

Real Name
    Kevin Turner

Errol,
    Suit up with the helmet, shoulder pads and face shield with the termite....or Go slow!!!!!
    The termite has a wicked bite, if you lose focus just for a milli second!!!
    Jsut beware.... I learned the hard way, again and again, and again..
    Kevin T..in T bay

Real Name
    Dirk Hoogendoorn

Hey Leo and Kevin, do you use the termite with the handle sold with it, or have you built your own handle? I bought mine used at the Woodstock Wood Show, then turned a new 24" Ash handle for it.
    I may be shiny, but I aint brand new

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogy View Post
    Hey Leo and Kevin, do you use the termite with the handle sold with it, or have you built your own handle? I bought mine used at the Woodstock Wood Show, then turned a new 24" Ash handle for it.
    Hi Dirk , as I use the Termite for small turnings only I find the handle that comes with it just fine.
    For larger deeper endgrain turnings you would need a heavier shaft and handle as well.

I'll put a link to Herman De Vries website, there's some tutorial for using the Termite and also tool making where he makes the termite into a real deep hollowing tool, good reference site to have

http://www.hdv.net/

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

I would like to add my $.02 with respect to the Hunter Tool. I bought a #2 or #3 cutter in the fall of 2007 at Woodcraft in Rochester while returning from the Totally turning Conference in Albany. I made a tapered bar holder from 1/2" cold rolled st.eel. Hunter now makes a similar configuration as well as bent tapered shafts. The tapered shaft idea was borrowed from the other tool - The Eliminator. It is an awesome tool for endgrain work on boxes or hollowing small vessels. Very grabby on side grain. Cutting angle is very similar to the Termite or a hook tool for that matter. I also have a #1 mounted in Lyle Jamieson's 3/16" angled holder. Lyle uses it as a start to finish hollowing tool in the captured system. I also use that one mounted in a 3/8 bar. The Hunter will produce a surface equivalent to about 220 sanding. The design of the Hunter Carbide Insert is considerably different than the flat carbide cutters currently loved by novices and does not function as a scraper. It is a shearing cut. We did a comparison one night at Hands-On with a Termite and some people liked one and some liked the other. I would buy another Hunter before buying a Termite. We have lots of machinists types at the GHWG and a number of locally sourced inserts that looked similar have been tried, but none equal the performance of the ultra fine carbide that Mike Hunter discovered. Most difficult part of making a tool is getting the correct mounting screw. There was extensive discussion of the screws over at WC three years ago.
    Last edited by Mike Brazeau; 11-26-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added photo

Real Name
    Bill

I had a discussion with a machinist who makes turning tools about using relatively cheap metal working carbide cutters from BB. He also said that they are not in the same league as the Hunter carbides and would not produce the same results.

billh

Default An Alternative - the modified drill

Hi, Eroll

I have a hunter tool and have tried a termite tool (once, and watched others more skilled using it). I feel they are both excellent finishing cut tools and leave a very nice ,almost a -go to the poly- end-grain surface.

However for faster wood removal, when hollowing end-grain projects, I prefer my modified 1/4 in common drill bit. It's easy to use and CHEAP
    Just take an old steel drill bit - I wouldn't go larger than 1/4 in - and grind it like a bowl gouge. I got the idea off of You tube.

see the attached pics.

checkout these videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyN-RZOPB4M and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvmCMp9cRQ

I'm going to try this one next.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbxBgGOhas
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really wish I knew enough about turning to answer a question like this.....one day.
    Paul

Real Name

Default Re: An Alternative - the modified drill

The drill bit cutter and also the ball end mill cutters have been around for quite a while and will remove a lot of wood in a hurry.
    I don't know why they never became in common use, until recently I only read some discussions online probably 15 years ago, then never heard of them again for years, then just fairly recently Jeff Nicol came with the drillbit cutter and has been making a few, I think he uses 1/2" bits

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Thank you all for your input. I find the discussions very interesting and helpful.
    Thanks again

Errol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinT in T Bay View Post
    Errol,
    Suit up with the helmet, shoulder pads and face shield with the termite....or Go slow!!!!!
    The termite has a wicked bite, if you lose focus just for a milli second!!!
    Jsut beware.... I learned the hard way, again and again, and again..
    Kevin T..in T bay
    Kevin you must be doing something wrong as I hollowed many things with
    the termite, goblets, christmas bells, boxes etc and have never had a catch or even come close to having a catch I find it a very forgiving tool and the initial
    learning curve was quick...In addition the only downside to the termite is
    that it clogs up quickly (I lean into it a bit to much at times) I have ordered
    and expect to arrive today a Berger tool from Craft supplies in the U.S. and
    have been told it is superior to both the Hunter and Termite
    Ron

I, too, have found clogging to be the biggest drawback to the Termite...though sharpening is a lot more involved than a simple trip to the grinding wheel!

BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
    Kevin you must be doing something wrong as I hollowed many things with
    the termite, goblets, christmas bells, boxes etc and have never had a catch or even come close to having a catch I find it a very forgiving tool and the initial
    learning curve was quick...In addition the only downside to the termite is
    that it clogs up quickly (I lean into it a bit to much at times) I have ordered
    and expect to arrive today a Berger tool from Craft supplies in the U.S. and
    have been told it is superior to both the Hunter and Termite
    Ron

.. Ron I had the pleasure of trying Petes Berger tool at a hands on meeting a while back.... Very nice tool to use. Cuts like a charm....and you can go deep too.........

Thanks for the Nicol videos Al

That drill bit cutter really looks good, even sounds good in the second video.

What does the finish look like? Since it is a cutting tool, I would assume the finish would be better than that of a scraping tool, right?