Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Beginner's SketchUp Tutorial Video Series

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Free Beginner's SketchUp Tutorial Video Series

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefwoodworker View Post
    Mike,

If you like that picture try this link. http://www.idx-design.com/IDX/IDXRen...4/Default.aspx

There is very little difference in the Pro and free version if all you want is SketchUp. The Pro version comes with a 2D presentation package called LayOut. But you don't need it. With the free version you don't add to your yearly software costs at all.

By the way, do you use Lightroom? I find that I now use it for touch-up more than PhotoShop and I love it. Still use PhotoSHop for manipulation and creating backgrounds.

Joe....
    Joe,

Sounds like I should give it another try then. I should have some time over the holidays - but then again, my wife may have other ideas! :0

And yes, I use Lightroom extensively. Same as you - don't go to PS much except for retouching on portraits or things like perspective control for architectural images.

cheers
    Mike Guilbault
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I do: Mike Guilbault Photography
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Mike, I looked at your websites (I'm an amateur photographer) and wow! Beautiful work you do. I wish you lived close by. I would love to talk photography with you.

Joe....

My first and second experiences were much the same. Lot's of frustration! When I saw Chiefwoodworker's message re the tutorials I decided to try again. Yesterday I "watched" the first tutorial. Today I decided to "Play along", watching and doing. Well, in all I think I restarted four times, but on the fourth, I got all the way through! With a smile on my face I pressed "save". Now I'm ready for tutorial #2! Mind you, I think I spent about 3 hours getting through the tutorial. Having succeeded with the first, I am going to forge forward to the end. But then again, I am "retired", so that time is less of an issue as long as I dodge the "honey-do-list"!

Fred Alexander
    Thunder Bay

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Mike, I looked at your websites (I'm an amateur photographer) and wow! Beautiful work you do. I wish you lived close by. I would love to talk photography with you.

Joe....
    Thanks Joe - and between woodworking and photography - we could probably talk for hours!!

deleted rest of message.... found my error. duoh!
    Last edited by Mike in Penetanguishene; 12-12-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Hello Chiefwoodworker,
    I downloaded Sketchup 3 days ago. I then soon found your first tutorial on U-Tube. I've watched it repeatedly several times. Its been a great help as its well explained for a newbie. Thanks!
    I also use the tutorial that comes with the Sketchup download.
    Sketchup takes some getting used too and its a bit of a study, but it does seem to have potential. I'm making an art easel and I used sketchup to design one of the simpler curved parts. I then used Sketchup's "print to scale" feature of this part, printed it out on regular paper, glued it to some stiffer paper, cut this out with sissors and had a quick easy to make pattern.
    Al

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Well I'm done part III and following along quite nicely. Got stuck at a few places - but mostly because I tried something that I shouldn't, or played with the views and lost some lines - stuff like that. Gotta get some sleep now so will get to part 4 in the morning.
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Goof for you Fred. Keep plugging, you'll be glad in the end. Once you've mastered SketchUp you will find your woodworking even gets better.

By the way, I'm retired too. So I guess that proves us old dogs can still learn.

Joe...

Al,

You obviously discovered SketchUp's "print to scale" feature takes a little figuring out. I once wrote a post on just that. But like you, once i figured it out I have used it for my shop templates exclusively. You are moving along pretty fast. congratulations to you.

Joe.....

Mike,

You are blowing through them too quickly. Now I have to get off my a** and get part 5 out.

Joe....

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Ok.. done #4.. bring on #5!!

Actually... I think I'm going to go back to #1 and just do a refresher. There's so many little 'tricks' that I'm sure i'll forget them when I try something on my own.

This is exactly the kind of thing I needed though. Thanks for taking the time to do this Joe!
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Hi Mike,

You are welcome. I am really glad you find them useful. I will try to get #5 out Tuesday or Wednesday. It takes me almost 8 hours to create one tutorial video, edit it, upload it, write the blog and post it. Funny thing is I can draw the whole table sans dimensioning and texturing, in about an hour.

Better get at it.

Joe....

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

no worries... for me anyway. I'll have to get back to doing some real work sometime soon so will have to put it up for a day or two.

BTW... My Entity Info window is stretched out the full height of the monitor and dragging the window sizer wont' adjust it. Any idea what the problem may be? I'm on a Mac.
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Hmmmm! I'm on a PC and I can only stretch my width wise. It will not let me expand it in the height direction. What happens of you click on the top bar once? Does it collapse the window? If it does click one more. Does it return to proper size? I am not a MAC user so I can't help much. Maybe someone listening can help.

Joe....

Thanks Joe! Got thru 2 this afternoon and evening. I'm not as fast (or as smart) as Mike, took me a little longer. Maybe in my excitement, I wasn't listening enough as you explained the steps. Had to start over again a couple of times. Oh well, practice makes (perfect) better! Thanks for the great tutorials!

"Retired" Fred

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Hmmmm! I'm on a PC and I can only stretch my width wise. It will not let me expand it in the height direction. What happens of you click on the top bar once? Does it collapse the window? If it does click one more. Does it return to proper size? I am not a MAC user so I can't help much. Maybe someone listening can help.

Joe....
    I'm not sure what I did.. but I finally got it working. I had to close out a couple of times and then stick my tongue in my left check while whistling 'Yankee Doodle'. Not easy for a guy that can't whistle!!
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Hi Fred,

You are welcome. And don't be bothered by your pace. I get the feeling Mike is younger than you and I and probably a little quicker ;<) But I can still whistle!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Hi Fred,

You are welcome. And don't be bothered by your pace. I get the feeling Mike is younger than you and I and probably a little quicker ;<) But I can still whistle!
    Yah... but I'm catching up quick!
    Mike Guilbault
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca