FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Cabinet Crown Moulding Help Needed! (w/pic)

David Eisan in London Guest

Default Cabinet Crown Moulding Help Needed! (w/pic)

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the crown moulding on the corner cabinet in my parents kitchen that I am redoing for them.

I did not want to face nail anything, so the crown moulding was screwed to the top of the corner cabinet from behind before the cabinet was hung. I just have it in place temporarily for now while I decide what to do. In the picture, the cabinet is level in all three planes. But, as you can see, I have a little problem where the level crown meets an awfully unlevel ceiling.

What do I do?

I thought of scribing the crown to the ceiling, but too much of the profile would be lost and I think it would look stupid.

My brother suggested that I hang the cabinet crooked so that I have as much of the crown against the ceiling as possible. No.

My Dad suggested that I take the crown off and face nail it so that it is more flush to the ceiling. This would require bizarre angles and bevels for the 45 corners as well as look funny when the gap between the crown and the face frame (and soon doors) tapers.

Leave it?

A case of caulk? I do think this is the answer, a nice cove bead of flexible latex caulk that is then painted to match the ceiling.

What would you do?

Thanks,

David.

PhilC Guest

Default Re: Cabinet Crown Moulding Help Needed! (w/pic)

I personally would lower the cabinets by 1" and leave a shadow line between the crown and the ceiling. If you added some above cabinet lighting behind the crown it would look spectacular.

My 2c.

Bob in Niagara Guest

I had the same problem, I found the lowest point on the ceiling, then went one inch down and hung the cabinets so the top was at that level. The one inch gap hides the variation

PhilC Guest

Exactly. Finish/Trim carpintery is more about making things LOOK right than perfect angles. Its perceptual. If you are stuck on having the crown up against the ceiling, you could always float sheetrock up to your gap to correct the bow in the floor joist, then feather and paint.

However, I think you will achieve a more dramatic effect by not going right up to the ceiling and instead leaving the shadow line (~1" +-).

Mock it up and light it appropiately. I think you will be more than pleased with the results.

Cheers,

Phil

Rob Stokes in North Vanco Guest

Wow.... my thinking just got changed. When I read the orignal post I thought "caulk the crack" (maybe that's because of the high volume of caulk I've been going through on the exterior of my new house ) but I do like the idea of dropping the cabinet 1" even better.

Rob

PhilC Guest

Glad to be of assistance.

Be sure to post pics when you are done (or as you go along). Very interested in seeing those beautiful cabinets up.

Cheers,

Phil

Jim...Lindsay area Guest

From what shows in your pic...would think, that that portion of the ceiling on the right of the cabinet, is the main 'problem'? Any other minor spaces could be filled with a wee bit of caulk. The area on the right, looks as if it could be built up (down) and feathered out, reasonably "easy"? I go for having the crown against the ceiling.
    Regards...Jim

David Eisan in London Guest

Default The Fix... (w/pic)

Thanks everyone for your input, I ended up lowering the cabinet. I had my friend raise and lower the corner cabinet until we settled on a gap of 1" being the correct amount to lower the cabinet. I like the shadow line and the 1"-1-1/4" side to side taper between the ceiling and the crown moulding cannot be seen.

David.

Brian@ Muir Guest

My Three choices 1. Caulk. (it is considered trim in some circles). 2 Feather the ceiling and lastly lower it as suggested by others. If you do lower it would you be so kind as to post a pic as I have a set to build and will probably face the same problem.Would like to see how it looks.
    Brian

The 1" drop looks great. And I wouldn't want to arm wrestle with your helper (boss?)

Default Re: The Fix... (w/pic)

What'd I tell ya???

They look absolutely spectacular. Excellent job.

Phil

Brian@ Muir Guest

Dave Thanks for the picture, looks great and the cabinets aren't bad either.
    Brian