FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe spindle repair options

Default lathe spindle repair options

Hi,

I have Rockwell 46-201 wood lathe that I picked up a few years ago. Sandblasted and painted it, replaced a few missing pieces, and installed new bearings. The threads on the spindle (1" 8tpi) are pretty rough. The spindle is not available for purchase new anymore. I have attached a few pictures. Anyone have any idea if the threads can be repaired, suggestions, or leads on any used spindles. The lathe came out of a high school.

Thank you.

Jason

IMG_4319.jpgIMG_4317.jpgIMG_4320.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: lathe spindle repair options

thats a lot of wear!!

you have a couple of options that i know of, have a spindle made or find another spindle(less used)

try over on owwm.org, should be some one over there who could have suggestions or even a spindle

is the wear on the outboard side?
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I don't know if there is anything you can do to repair the threads..or where to get a new spindle, but I would question whether it's nescesary. There are no cracks or breaks, so I think any loss of strength would be miniscule. Guess it depends on the turning you plan to do.
    Maybe there is an issue with the top of the threads being ground down and there are some good turners here who can comment on that

A machine shop could tig weld it up and re-thread, or turn it down, and make a new threaded pc to go over the turned down portion (either tig welded on or threaded on).

Saw this on ebay. not sure if you could make it work (maybe have the other end threaded?)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ornamental-wood-...item53da28bc1b

scott

Quote Originally Posted by jasong View Post
    Hi,

I have Rockwell 46-201 wood lathe that I picked up a few years ago. Sandblasted and painted it, replaced a few missing pieces, and installed new bearings. The threads on the spindle (1" 8tpi) are pretty rough. The spindle is not available for purchase new anymore. I have attached a few pictures. Anyone have any idea if the threads can be repaired, suggestions, or leads on any used spindles. The lathe came out of a high school.

Thank you.

Jason

IMG_4319.jpgIMG_4317.jpgIMG_4320.jpg
    Hi Jason
    I am not familiar with that brand of lathe but most lathes rely on the back register to mount things.So as long as the threads are engaged it is the registration of the machined surface of the faceplate or chuck to the shoulder on the mandrel the makes the alignment and drive.Damage to the top of the threads is not that important as long as they engage properly

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Forget about building up the threats by welding or brazing, as you would end up with a warped spindle, also the MT would be off as the shrinking of the welds would do that.
    The outboard thread does look rough and was probably held with pliers to unscrew the face plate or chuck on the inboard side.
    Why do you want to repair the outboard thread ??, is it used for more than the retainer nut ?? do you want to use a hand wheel on there ?? or something else ??

I would look in Ebay and Kijiji etc, to have a new spindle made is going to pretty costly in my estimation, as with the MT in it and left and right treads to be machined on it, unless you have a good machinist friend.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Leo, a GOOD TIG welder could probably weld each thread so well that you could thread a nut in it! It is very doable without warping the shaft. I would not use any other welding process than TIG if you go that route.

Real Name

Scott I have welded a lot in my life, even made my living for some time as a welder here in Canada, what you don't seem to take into account, is that welding (any kind) deposits liquid metal on to the workpiece and melts the surface were it is deposited, that metal shrinks immediately and starts to deform the still hot workpiece as the welding is going from one side to the other, in this case where the shaft being welded is hollow, it will for certain deform the MT and very probably also warp the shaft, even a little change in the MT opening and it would have to be re-machined, anyway it isn't just as easy as welding up dozer tracks etc where shape doesn't have to be within close tolerances, or welding even ridges on a solid bold that only needs a nut to be able to thread onto.
    You just can't have water run uphill or liquify metal and then let it cool without shrinkage.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

This is a type of repair I do quite often on worn and broken shafts usually in gearboxes. Like Leo states there is going to be a problem with the MT. You'll need it done by some one with an MT2 reamer. If they have the reamer it is just as easy the build a new shaft. I don't have the reamer and that's why neither does the spindle in my 3400 lol. They are about $80. I should just get one I guess. I could turn that shaft out in about an hour if I had the reamer

Real Name
    Steve Morris

if it makes a difference, the outboard thread is a lefthand, does it even have a morse taper in it?, maybe not on the outboard side, it will be bored for a knock out rod
    steve, sarnia, ont

not much of a wood lathe guy, but is there another smaller thread that is standard to the woodturning trade, that you could have the worn out thread turned down too. It would just have to be larger than the root of the 1" thread.

You are only showing the outboard thread and the other doesn't look that bad from the view shown. Why not put a faceplate on it and see what it will run like? It's not like it will slip on the thread or be dangerous in some way.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Quote Originally Posted by BRIEN View Post
    not much of a wood lathe guy, but is there another smaller thread that is standard to the woodturning trade, that you could have the worn out thread turned down too. It would just have to be larger than the root of the 1" thread.
    that could be done with say a 7/8 by 14 or 3/4 by 18?, the only problem is the reatiner nut sitting on the bed in the first photo, it holds the shaft in the bearings. of course a new one could be made too!!
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
    You are only showing the outboard thread and the other doesn't look that bad from the view shown. Why not put a faceplate on it and see what it will run like? It's not like it will slip on the thread or be dangerous in some way.
    see my previous thread, re the retainer nut. a faceplate would be screwed on after that nut
    steve, sarnia, ont

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aylmer Tom View Post
    This is a type of repair I do quite often on worn and broken shafts usually in gearboxes. Like Leo states there is going to be a problem with the MT. You'll need it done by some one with an MT2 reamer. If they have the reamer it is just as easy the build a new shaft. I don't have the reamer and that's why neither does the spindle in my 3400 lol. They are about $80. I should just get one I guess. I could turn that shaft out in about an hour if I had the reamer
    The OP should buy it for you in exchange for a new shaft.

Just a thought?
    Andrew

Like someone else metioned the threads really don't look that bad from what I can see it the picture. I wonder have you tried installing a face plate or hand wheel that is 1" 8 tpi? Will it start on the shaft or not? You could try and find someone with a 1" 8tpi thread chaser or die and run it over the shaft, it would clean up the threads so you could install the necessary plate or wheel on to the shaft as it looks to me from the picture there is still quite a bit of holding power left on the shaft. By the way 1" 8tpi is a standard SAE size so it shouldn't be to difficult to find a chaser or die. If you didn't want to purchase one, try a Caterpillar tractor dealer or other heavy equipment dealer, they just might loan or rent you one. If they won't loan you one take the shaft down to their shop and do it there, tell the foreman you will supply him with a nice bowl when you get the lathe operational. Tool rental stores sometimes have a whole set that you can rent for an hour or a day. I used to loan tools out from my shop all the time and guess I was lucky as they always came back. One other thing you could try. There must be a Community College or High School in the area that has a machine shop program, go and talk to the instructor, show him the shaft and he will probably offer to have one of his students put the shaft in a machine lathe and clean up the threads. Oh, almost forgot like Leo was saying stay away from that shaft with welding equipment or like he said you will then be dealing with a faulty Morse Taper if so equiped. Don't give up, GOOD LUCK and please let us know how you make out.

Real Name

The problem with this is that this is LH thread and LH dies are very few and far between, though like you say going to a college (Fanshawe College here) that might be a very good idea to get it cleaned up

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i wouldnt be putting a 2 pound chunk of castiron on that thread, let alone with a big chunk of wood, ive seen what happens when they come off even at 400 rpm!!. stop the lathe and the faceplate just keeps spinning!!

the thread is definetly a left hand, same as the 3400's, a die for the 3400 3/4 thread is really hard to find, let alone the one inch for that machine

id use it as is, inboard side only as long as the retainer can be tightened properly and it looks like it should.

if a new shaft is made, you could use a regular rh thread on the outboard side and fab a new retainer but everything that gets used on that side will need a couple of set screws with corresponding indents on the shaft
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Garth Sheane

I've had a local machine shop make a spindle for another machine I built, and I didn't think the price was too bad. Take the shaft right out before you go in so that they can see quickly what they're dealing with. Personally, I would be leary of trusting those threads myself as they are now.

You could simply remove any lateral bulges on the thread with a triangle file, used carefully and it will be fine. Don't touch the thread root with the file. The loss of diameter on the outside of the thread is irrelevant from a strength perspective. I do not know what threads onto a 1-8 lh thread but so long as it engages the three or four good threads for tension purposes, you are good to go.

Ken