FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: HVLP spray systems *LINK*

gord in oakville Guest

Default HVLP spray systems *LINK*

Not long ago a special on Wagner HVLP systems was noted here see link

I'm having some timing problems with a responce to my questions so I thought I would ask in this forum. Next week I will be making my way to Alabama and if this system is right for me I would order it and have it delivered to Alabama.
    This system matches my needs - hobby stuff not production. Latex finishes or water bases and probably the odd oil base or other Not hing as grand as what some of your fellow WW produce.

Questions: Would this unit also handle a brad nail gun?
    Does this unit (gun part) have multiple tips for adjustment in viscosity or is this one tip does all and I need to adjust the viscosity.
    Can the gun itself be upgraded and does that make any sense in providing better control
    Have heard a lot of chatter re oil vs oil-free - Which is this type?
    Thanks for your help and insights

Wagner system I like

Default Re: HVLP spray systems

Gord i can only answer some your questions. These units do use an air compressor at all, so you can not run a brad nailer & the story of oil-free vs oil does not apply.

To generate the air flow required they use what looks a lot like a vaccuum cleaner motor. usually the guns use various sizes of nozzles for the different paint & finish types. Be sure to get a selection when you purchase your unit.

Jamie

Mark Guest

Hi Gord,

I am a little confused based on the link to Gleem Paint. If I may..... The Wagner conversion HVLP gun requires a compressor capable of a certain amount of CFM at given PSI to operate. I do not know the specification for the Wagner HVLP gun but understand that most 2-5hp with a 20 gal tank can produce sufficient air volume to operate this gun reasonably (non-commercial application). Perhaps someone else can confirm if the requirement is even lower.

I assume your question on "can it run a brad nailer" pertains to the compressor. A typical brad nailer uses little CFM but in general 90psi (pressure more important than air volume)

The oil vs. oil-less is a matter of preference. Simply, oiless compressors operate using a motor and pump configuration that is permanently lubricated. It is accepted that oiless is not as durable over the long haul however if your needs are relatively light then this option may work for you. Safe to say, I would concentrate more on what air tools you intend to use and how much demand and performance you expect before making a decision on compressor.

Sorry for the length.. back to the HVLP gun. I did read that it does offer different needle/nozzle sizes to accommodate for the various material viscosities.

If I misunderstood your question and you are looking at the wagner stand-alone HVLP painter then ignore this entire posting.

Best of luck.
    Mark

gord in oakville Guest

Jamie amd Mark, thanks for the insite but I believe the vaccum concept is the one I was referring to. I did a little general educating and realize now that most true HVLP systems use a vaccum motor to drive them - generally the paint system part accepts only a small part of the air force generated and thats how they get to the lower pressure ie 10psi at the gun. ..So nowI know its a non oil envirornment. Jamie I think you have suggested that tip types are available in a kit perhaps and would be needed to properly operate this paint sprayer. the system I was referring to was the finecoat wagner sprayer.

I need some guildence to determine if I should pay a little extra and get a compressor unit and then outfit it with a paint sprayer and what ever else I might want then a deadicated spray unit.

Which way have your folks gone on this?

Bryan Guest

I have the fine coat, bought it about 8 yrs ago. I have only sprayer lacquer with it, and flecto varathane poly once on a table top. The only weakness is the hose, but mine lasted 8 years but had some holes duct taped . The problem is you get busy spraying and the odd time step on the hose. I have since replaced it with 25 ft of heater hose, which fits the plastic ends, from the UAP store for $30. Excellent hobby sprayer. If I had the chance I would get the conversion gun to run with my compressor, heard it's very good on another US forum.

gord in oakville Guest

Whats a conversion gun for and how does it differ from the suction type that I think comes with the sprayer. Why would you want to have a conversion gun? With this unit is there any chance I buy it and its the end of the line give away or is this unit likely to be around for some time. It seems the latter based on the reviews I've read but perhaps you all have some thoughts on this.

gord in oakville Guest

I re-read your post and reeaalized that your preference would be to use your compressor with a gun that fits it is this correct? Rather tha the fine coat?
    That would make the conversion gun - a gun to convert your higher pressure compressor into a HVLP spray unit would this be correct?

Allan Johanson - South Su Guest

Default Wagner HVLP conversion gun info

Hi Gord,

Here's a link that should answer many of your questions about the Wagner HVLP conversion gun. But in short, YES, this gun will work with a typical air compressor and I've read reviews from many folks on US forums that love this gun.

I bought one myself, but haven't used it yet.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

A little more info for you. I'm sure there are some better sources, but this is a start for you in any case.

http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/hvlp.html

Allan

gord in oakville Guest

Default Re: Wagner HVLP conversion gun info

Allen, Thanks for the info , I did have a nother look at the iinfo and this time went to the conversion gun manual too. At present I don't have a compressor but neighbour has one...so it's a question really of get the gun first and borrow a compressor for a while or get the finecoat and forget about getting a brad nailer and other tools driven by air I think the first option has more advantage and more tools to buy.
    I'm wondering what mort hobbiests do or would like to do?

Speaking for myself, I find an air compressor a valuable assistant in the shop. The more time I'm in there, the more uses I have for an air compressor.

I also have a lot of interests, so I'll tend to use it more than others, but here's what I use mine for:

- Various nail guns (brad, staple, finish nailer) NOTE: Once you get in the habit of using a nail gun it's hard to go back to the hammer!
    - Blowing dust off things
    - Filling up tires/air matresses, etc
    - HVLP conversion gun (will use it one of these days)
    - Air cut off wheel for cutting metal
    - Nibbler for cutting sheet metal
    - Impact guns and ratchets for working on my car
    - Sander for working on my car

I had to do some trim work in my house but my air compressor is fairly large and runs on 240V. What to do? Buy one of those small, loud pancake compressors? No. Buy one of those portable air tanks good for a few shots with the nail gun before running downstairs to fill it again? No. I bought 100' of air hose from Princess Auto for $30 and that is my dedicated "indoor" hose so it stays clean. So now for $30 I can use any air tool I want in my house and I can't hear the compressor running since it's in the garage. I like it.

My compressor is here to stay.

Allan

gord in oakville Guest

Ok so I'm reading the list and going Hmm...Me too
    lots more tools to help in the shop. but how noisy is it -a compressor. My shop is iin the basement and until I move that's where it will stay I'm sure. It's closed off from the rest of the house but still I don't really want a beast in the baseement each time I go to use a tool brad, spray dust off etc. Are these compressors really loud and distubing? I noticed you said yours was iin the garage..I assume your garage is attached or do you just run the hose throught the grass to the house .

I think that the big difference comes down to is that we use so little finish in confined area's that conversion guns are far easier to use. I bought a smaller gravity feed gun from Princess auto and sprayed water based lacquer very good.

My garage is attached to the house, but there are no rooms above it. So maybe that isn't a fair comparison.

My compressor is oil-lubricated and this kind is quieter than the oilless ones. Instead of me or anyone else trying to describe how loud our specific compressors are, perhaps the best thing for you to do is to borrow a compressor and put it where it might live in your shop and see for yourself how loud it is. If the kind you borrow is "oilless", keep in mind than an oil-lubricated version will be slightly quieter.

Try that and see if it'll work for you.

Good luck!

Allan

Gord in Oakville Guest

Allan thats a great idea. My neighbours is only a pan cake Are the pancakes louder than say a devillbis 10/20gal I had heard that they were quit loud in comparision. so would ned to take that iinto consideration

Sorry Gord, but I don't know much about those pancakes. The guy installing carpet in our house several weeks ago had a small hotdog style of compressor and it was quite loud. I didn't measure it though.

I just did some measurements of my compressor (6HP, 240V, oil-lubricated, 20 gal tank) and it was 85db at 8 feet away, 82 db around 20 feet away, and a few more feet away behind a closed door dropped to below 60db (maybe around 56db). 60db is average conversation level.

You can also sound-proof these a little too if the noise is still a problem.

Try out that little compressor and go from there. Have yourself and your family imagine the one you buy might be a little louder (just in case) and see if you are OK with that. You can also try leaning some wood against the unit to try and loosely cover it to reduce the noise a little. It needs air for cooling so you can't make an airtight box for it. Also make sure your shop has weatherstripping around the door and it's probably a good thing to soundproof your shop in general as much as you can.

If you buy an oil-lubricated compressor, that is quieter than a similar oilless version. Once you've done that and made a simple enclosure, you've done about as much as you can.

Good luck!

Allan