FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I age pine to an old 'barn-board' look?

Default How do I age pine to an old 'barn-board' look?

Is there a chemical recipe to age some new pine to the old 'barn-board' look? I've seen the Briwax page for aging pine, but that's still not old enough looking for me. I've made some rough-sawn crates and want to age them 10yrs in a day or two.

Any suggestions?

Real Name
    Ted

Default Re: How do I age pine to an old 'barn-board' look?

Did this years ago for a rec. room. I tried weathering the boards outside with no luck. The closest I could come to the weathered barn Pine look was to get some of the powered analine dyes that LV sells and mix them together to what I thought was the right shade and then put a wash (water based) over the boards. It actually worked pretty well.

This idea came from someone on this forum. I was building a barn/manger scene for our church a year ago, using rough pine from HD.

Soak some steel wool in vinegar. I don't remember how long, but it only takes maybe a day. Experiment with the times. I made more than needed so didn't find it necessary to strain the liquid, but if you use to the bottom of your container, you'll get steel wool residue that you wouldn't want. I painted it on with an old brush. It worked well.

I still had some left last summer, so used it on some new shakes that were patched onto the side of our church to get rid of the brand new wood blotches.

...Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne - Oakville; 01-18-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Use a sand blaster and then dye to your preference and sand blast again.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne - Oakville View Post
    This idea came from someone on this forum. I was building a barn/manger scene for our church a year ago, using rough pine from HD.

Soak some steel wool in vinegar. I don't remember how long, but it only takes maybe a day. Experiment with the times. I made more than needed so didn't find it necessary to strain the liquid, but if you use to the bottom of your container, you'll get steel wool residue that you wouldn't want. I painted it on with an old brush. It worked well.

I still had some left last summer, so used it on some new shakes that were patched onto the side of our church to get rid of the brand new wood blotches.

...Wayne

That was me

Soak a bat of 0000 (extra fine) in a 500-750ml jar full of vinegar (regular works fine, but "pickling vinegar" works better due to the higher acid content) overnight (8-12 hours). Pour through a coffee filter and then brush on your wood. Leave for 15 minutes and you'll see the wood grey. If it's not dark enough repeat, but one application is generally plenty) Note: The liquid will still appear clear in the jar, that's OK....this process works through oxidization rather than pigments).
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

the steel wool and vinegar route sounds like the winner. could it be rinsed with water after everything's dry to cut the smell or does it not smell?

Ryan can chime in, but I didn't rinse. I don't recall any smell once it had dried for awhile.

...Wayne

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne - Oakville View Post
    Ryan can chime in, but I didn't rinse. I don't recall any smell once it had dried for awhile.

...Wayne

Agreed, same experience
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Real Name
    Ted

Ryan I wish I needed to use "aged" pine to try your mixture. I wish I had knew about it 30 years ago.

Yup the steel wool tea works. I use the same thing on walnut and maple. It turns walnut into an ebony look and maple takes on a old age burnt like effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylmer Tom View Post
    Yup the steel wool tea works. I use the same thing on walnut and maple. It turns walnut into an ebony look and maple takes on a old age burnt like effect.
    Tom. I assume you used the mix on turned maple correct? Would it vary with the variations in the wood or turn it bland?

Ron.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Mike

Would love to see some photos of the result!
    Mike Guilbault
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I do: Mike Guilbault Photography
    PhotographyWorkshops.ca

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

The Iron does work when there is tannin in the wood, that is why it works so well with Oak and Cherry, (the stains from nails/staples etc. in wood is caused for the same reason) some woods have very little tannin in the wood and than the Iron wash doesn't work well or not at all.
    However tannin can be bought, the stuff that is used for making leather comes in powder form and you can make a thee out of that and spray on or brush/wipe it on.
    Strong regular thee also can be used to get more tannin in the wood, Oak bark used to be harvested and ground up to do the tannin, now other plant material is used with a higher tannin content.

Here is an Oak bowl that was given a iron oxide wash, penetration is very shallow, fuming with ammonia will give similar results.
    Stained Oak.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-19-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Leo

Love the walnut bowl.

What did you finish with after the iron wash?

I just finished a small lidded box in walnut and there is a spot that is not quite as dark. Will this wash help smooth out the colour.

Thanks

Don

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Don I think I used Polymerized tung oil on it, and polished, it has been a couple of years.
    If you look at this bowl you will be able to see the difference of the sap and heartwood color.
    If you would carefully add the iron oxide thee to the lighter spot it would make that darker, but by how much ???, you would have to try it on some scrap, even then I'm not sure you could get it to become equal with the rest.
    Time in the light (UV) and air (oxidation) will lighten the Walnut color, so you might end up with a dark spot rather than a light spot on the piece if you would artificially change the color, for me, wood is a natural product and I like it as such ;-))

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Every piece of barnwood I've seen not only had that unique grayish color but also had a surface texture that clearly shows the grain of the wood. I don't think rough-sawing will give those results. Egon suggested the sandblast route and that will work.

You can also use bleach (household or pool) to accelerate the decomposition of the softer wood fibers. Apply the bleach, wrap the wood in Saran Wrap, and let the bleach do the work. After a day or so of soaking, unwrap and rinse the board; use a wire brush to remove the softened wood.

You can also use bleach (household or pool) to accelerate the decomposition of the softer wood fibers
    Caustic soda may also work?
    Egon
    from

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Caustic soda may also work?
    Good suggestion!

Several things, though...I can get bleach almost anywhere, but have no clue where to purchase caustic soda; I'm sure the caustic soda requires significantly greater use of safety gear (gloves, eye protection, etc.) as opposed to bleach.

caustic soda requires significantly greater use of safety gear (gloves, eye protection, etc.) as opposed to bleach.
    It surely would require more/better safety precautions.
    Egon
    from

The vinegar/steel wool method requires the wood to have a high tannin content to work. Pine doesn't have that, but as Leo pointed out, you can wash it with a strong cold tea solution (several times if need be), let it dry and then apply your "stain". Sandblasting is one way to get the wood to show the difference between soft and harder grain, pressure washer is another. Everyone has their favorite method. Experiment!
    Paul