FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Help! staining birch 7 POPLAR ESPRESSO

Default Help! staining birch & POPLAR ESPRESSO

I'M NEW TO WOOD WORKING AND I BUILT SOME SHAKER CABINET DOORS AND I CANT GET THE WOOD TO TAKE THE STAIN MOST OF IT WIPES RIGHT OFF, i even used a prestain conditioner. the doors are made of birch and poplar because that is really the only thing I can get in town and I want them to be a dark espresso color

Default Re: Help! staining birch & POPLAR ESPRESSO

My experience only -- I'm sure others will have some ideas. First, although conditioner is recommended for birch to reduce blotches, I've found that it also prevents the stain from going on as dark. I've had good success with Varathane Gel stains with no conditioner -- it doesn't penetrate as deeply as non-gel, and doesn't seem to blotch. Second problem could be that you're sanding too finely. The finer you sand, the less the stain seems to absorb. 150 - 180 is probably fine enough before staining (experiment first). Third, although I've never used it, others on this forum have recommended using a dye to get a real dark colour.

...Wayne

I havent sanded at all i have been trying it on scrap, dye isnt available where i live but one of the paint stores recommended rite clothing dye as a base

Do you have spray equipment??? If so you can use a spray stain very easily.

yes i do, i used to paint cars. what would be the steps to doing it . and i want it almost black

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

I suggest you do a good search in the finishing section....this topic, expresso, dark stain, ebony, black (or any variants of the above) has come up many times in the last year or so.... and there is lots of good information to be had instantly.
    Also....post your location (the city)...you will get more effective and realistic help that way.....telling you to go buy some Goudey NGR alcohol based wiping stain won't do you much good if you live in Winterpeg or St Hostis de Tabernac, will it.

Meanwhile...have you already tried to stain the whole project (and failed) or did you just try it on test pieces.
    If you have already tried to stain the lot....then your life is going to be much more difficult as the wood will now be partially already sealed by the product you already applied...and what was the product you used anyhow....water base or oil base what?

Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 01-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.

i'm in port huron, Michigan and I only tested scrap wood

Quote Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
    yes i do, i used to paint cars. what would be the steps to doing it . and i want it almost black
    I get my spray stains at a ML Campbell supplier and they can mix any color that you need. All you do is spray as many coats as it takes to get the depth of color that you need and then topcoat with Nitro Lacquer to make it glimmer. Here is a black piece that I sprayed with only 2 coats of stain.

how long should i wait between coats?and how long before its completely dry? do i reduce it?

It depends on how heavy you spray it but it is better to spray lighter coats and sneak up on your finished color. 10-15 mins. is all that's required between coats and you don't reduce it. http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/c...ies/stainsdyes .

with the spraying do you have to wipe it off?

can any stain be sprayed? or just ones made for spraying?

Some can some can't but it won't change the way it looks just by spraying. The SPRAY stains are like a dye but just sit on the surface.

Real Name
    Hutch

What Wally is using is their Alcohol based stains , these stains can be mixed with Nitro Cell. Lac
    So that you can apply your colour/finish all in the same process .( Bombay Furniture) .

That Black stain is actually a Blue stain , if you thin it out , the more you use the blacker it gets
    same thing happens with the Green .I use the Cherry / Mahogany colours all the time

I almost always (95 % ) of the time spray them on the object , some times brushing
    into smaller parts , but ragging on can be a might mare .

Not a stain , for a first timer though

I did a whole restaurant is Ash , done the Black in high gloss , unless you were 3 feet
    away from it , you couldn't tell it from Black painted MDF , what a waist.

(they can be your best friend or worst enemy )

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

You can also get NGR (Non Grain Raising) alcohol based wiping stains (that do not have to be sprayed..they are a bit slower)...but like Wysong says in his post, none of these stains are really actually black.
    Like I said before, if you search this forum you will find considerable data and experience on how to achieve a satisfactory dark color...of course...it depends how dark you want it and what you mean by "espresso"..as color is quite a subjective matter.

You will also find out (either the hard way or by doing a search) that the alcohol NGR stains or the water based aniline stains and dyes tend to dry way paler and look horrible UNTIL you clear coat them...then they look proper.....so do a test.
    Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 01-23-2011 at 10:50 AM.