FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Board and Batten Exterior Finish on my Camp - Factory or Finish Myself?

Default Board and Batten Exterior Finish on my Camp - Factory or Finish Myself?

I will be going with a board and batten finish on my camp and wrestling with what I should do.

The camp has approximately 128 lineal feet of perimeter or 1,500 square feet of surface. (including the 3 gables)

I have narrowed my choices down to a factory finished product, specifically Maibec and it runs about $3 (incl. tax) a square foot. I do it once, it will be done right and look good. Colour choice is pretty good too.

I have good access to a local mill and can get 1"x10" boards for $0.65 a linear foot and 1"x6" battens (that I will have to rip) for $0.40 a l.f. I'm willing to buy a decent sprayer (any suggestions?) and put the time and effort to paint it myself. Is it worth it or will the wood soak up too much paint? And will it take a lot more time to paint than I am imaging? Or should I just leave it and let it turn a natural silver/grey. (the wife gave me one of those looks when I said this )

Rough calculations are $5,000 for the factory and $1,500 for the local milled pine. Not including a couple of coats of paint, (I'm guessing $300 or $400) and a sprayer (what- $500?) The savings would go to other things - like a gas fridge, gas stove, electrical, plumbing, flooring, deck, dock....(the list is long)

Any opinion is welcome.
    Last edited by All_Alone; 03-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Real Name
    Ryan

Default Re: Board and Batten Exterior Finish on my Camp - Factory or Finish Myself?

We've done a lot of pre-finished wood siding, and I have a couple random thoughts that might influence your decision:

1) customers usually prefer the pre-finished because of the perceived convenience. As with any convenience, you pay for it. If you've got money to spare and would like to spend it on convenience, then go for it. If you've got time to spare and would prefer to save money...

2) siding companies love pre-finished because it gives them a chance to use up all the sub-standard wood they would normally have to throw out, and no one knows the better because it's all covered in paint. Some of the worst wood I've ever seen comes disguised as pre-finished siding.

3) Even with pre-finished, there's always post-installation work to be done. We paint our nailheads in advance, but when punched through the nail gun, not all of that paint stays on. Particularly noticeable nails get dabs of touch up paint, but often those daps are noticeable in the right light: they "flash over." Ditto for any joints you have to make in the wood, any repairs of cracks or splits, or the cut edges of all the custom cut pieces you will need to make. Long story short: the finished result of a pre-finished installation is usually what I would think of as a sub-standard finish.

Do with those thoughts what you will.

Were it me, I would totally go with the local mill. That way you can assure the quality of the wood.
    Then I would pre-paint it all while on the ground - one, maybe two coats.
    Then I would install it, with the understanding that when I was done the install, I would do (spray or roll) the whole house again. That last step would be annoying, but well worth the uniform quality of finish, imho.

Default Re: Board and Batten Exterior Finish on my Camp - Factory or Finish Myself?

Do with those thoughts what you will.
    Thanks for some interesting points.

In talking with the mill, the owner told me that he could cut the wood I wanted to length - any length with enough notice. I'd probably sticker the wood for a month or two before siding because it is green when cut.

The Maibec product comes in random lengths from 4' to 16', with 70% of the lengths being 10' - there will be some waste.

Never thought about painting the heads on the coil of nails - while still in a coil...neat idea.

In your experience what has been the more efficient and effective method of applying paint - rolling or spraying?

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by All_Alone View Post
    Thanks for some interesting points.

In talking with the mill, the owner told me that he could cut the wood I wanted to length - any length with enough notice. I'd probably sticker the wood for a month or two before siding because it is green when cut.

The Maibec product comes in random lengths from 4' to 16', with 70% of the lengths being 10' - there will be some waste.

Never thought about painting the heads on the coil of nails - while still in a coil...neat idea.

In your experience what has been the more efficient and effective method of applying paint - rolling or spraying?
    sorry, I have no experience with the painting. Were I doing it though, I think my gut instinct would be to spray.

Spraying is faster and easier but you use much more paint. If it were me I would roller everything before I hung it, then spray the whole building for a final coat.

I built my woodworking shed along with 3 small accomapnying sheds over a period of 2 years starting 7 years ago and ending 5 years ago.

4 sheds.jpg

The total square footage of the siding on my sheds is about 1,100.

I used rough sawn pine with a real dimension of 1 inch by 12 inches and ripped my own battens. Before screwing on the siding, the knots were shelaced (well, anyway they should have been ) then two coats off solid oil-based stain were applied with a brush on both sides of the boards. The next spring, another coat of solid stain was applied with a brush.

The wood is holding up well and does not yet need re-staining. I will probably apply another coat of stain in the spring of 2012.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-04-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Cheers,
    Frank

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

Just a side note to MasterFinishing's statement...."you use more paint".....as he seems to infer that this is bad.
    Its not....it means you are likely actually applying something like the proper mil thickness to the substrate and thus you are going to get good lifespan out of your coating (and your wood).
    Typically when rolling people, even painters, put on too little paint, too thinly....and the product then fails to work as advertised.
    This is fact....I am a coating inspector (amongst other things) and I see this all the time.

Know also that even if you spray, you must back roll quickly over the sprayed surface to even it out and work it in....you will not get the desired uniformity of finish if you do not...this is not a car in a spraybooth ...you need to backroll!

As to "is it faster"....well, if you get the kids and grandkids to mask the windows and anything else that need to be protected (which takes a few hours) and you have a couple of helpers with rollers on poles (to back roll), with a small airless sprayer you can spray that 1500 sq ft in a couple of hours, have lunch, then do it again. Easiest if the machine has a 3 ft pole gun....way less bending and stretching....I know....that's all we use in my company....haven't seen a handgun in years, horrid things.
    Another thing....when you back roll...it catches any runs or sags you might get.

Julian
    Figure 200 to 225 sq ft per gallon of glop that you are going to apply and you will not be wrong.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

With board and batt I apply the paint with an airless and never mask anything except things like elec. outlets ,ext. taps eg. I use a 6' by about 12" shield held along the edge to avoide over spray. Load the paint on the wall then a roller works good on flat surfaces but on board and batt a large stiff brush works much better to work the paint into the ruff surface had been my experience.

Bill

I built my own home in 1993 and bought beveled pine siding from a local sawmill. I prepainted it with an airless sprayer that I rented. The rental for a quality sprayer is going to cost you a $100 a day in SW Ontario. If you spray the paint as others have mentioned you will have to back brush the paint into the rough pine, I am not sure that a roller would do as good a job on rough pine as a good stiff brush on working the paint into the boards. I have always used Benjamin Moore siolid color stain and only put on one coat. On pine you will have to shellac the knots. A lot of the bevelled siding will have a smooth side and a rough side and if you want the finish to last make sure you do the roughside. With board and batten it is usally rough on both sides. The house I built in 93 still has the original finish and yet shows no sign of needing to be refinished. With wood siding you can use a nail gun and buy colored nails but they also make a siding nail for wood siding that they sell at lumber yards and I do not refer to HD being a lumber yard. They are galvanized and have a domed head. This allows for a slight countersink when driving with a hammer. When going with Board and batten make sure the battens are nailed between the boards into the sheathing rather than the boards. Sheathing has to be thick enough to hold a hail. I see a lot of board and batten with the batten nailed into the board. This works great until the boards contract and expand due to the change in humidity and then the boards begin to split. There is a lot of literature around indicating that you should always have an airspace between solid wood siding and sheathing. I believe this to be a good idea but have never done it on my own buildings and accepted the risk. I built my shop 8 years ago and installed horizontal beveled pine siding on it. With two people we sprayed the paint and back brushed the siding in 12 hrs. There is 156 linear ft of 10 ft high walls with 2 large gables.. Enough of my ramblings

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Enough of my ramblings
    I appreciate anecdotal ramblings.

I am not sure that a roller would do as good a job on rough pine as a good stiff brush on working the paint into the boards.
    A concern of mine - just how much (oil based) paint will the cut face 'soak up' or should I think about planing one surface? That would be a lot of shavings....

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Alone View Post
    I appreciate anecdotal ramblings.

A concern of mine - just how much (oil based) paint will the cut face 'soak up' or should I think about planing one surface? That would be a lot of shavings....

Thanks guys.
    Don't paint it. Stain it with solid stain! It's much easier to maintain.
    Cheers,
    Frank

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

I have to agree with Frank. When oil base starts to peel or lift off for one freason or another it's very difficult and time consuming to rectify. The extra paint used by the ruff surface is worth it in the long run has been my experience. There may be other here with more sound advice to the conditions in your area here the only paint enemy I have is direct sunlight.

Bill