FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you still spin your vinyl?

Default Re: do you still spin your vinyl?

Thanks kevin and billh - after I wrote this here I kept searching and found a site specifically on rebuilding the 2270 including replacing the caps and some transistors, plus how to clean the pots. I'm good with a soldering iron/pencil (used to build heathkit computers and printers for the local store) but I'm not sure I want to risk damage to the 2270 so I might try to find someone locally who is good at refurbishing them. I will give the pots a crack first.

My immediate problem is that my Denon 2802 that I use in my home theatre recently started putting static out through the rear channels - like it is stuck on the test tones - so I now have to hunt for a replacement. My choices are either another Denon 3311ci or a Marantz sr7005 (since I'm familiar with both brands and liked them while I had them). My reading of reviews suggests that the more expensive SR7005 is a Denon 3311ci in Marantz clothing - the rear panel is 95% the same and with the lid off the upper two circuit boards look identical as do some of the large caps poking out from underneath. - so, I'm at a loss and leaning towards the Denon 3311 - but then again the Dennon 991 on sale this week at Future Shop is similar to the 3311ci but with a few bells and whistles missing - like zones (that I don't need.). I don't see a clear winner - I've yet to see a side by side comparison of the denon vs marantz. Some of the better sound shops won't carry Denon because the quality is now "clouded" by the fact that Future Shop is allowed to sell the low end units.

So basically, I'm confused and undecided. Does anyone familiar with decent quality surround sound amps have any suggestions? Speakers are all Paradigm. Reasonable suggestions would be appreciated. Tinnitus is messing with my hearing so I don't want to go REALLY high end but do appreciate good sound.

Just thought I'd ask this here as it seems there are a bunch of audiophiles lurking here in the woods. Thanks
    Last edited by Glenn from Winnipeg; 03-07-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: bad gramma
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Default Re: do you still spin your vinyl?

There seems to be a lot of interest in old equipment, I sold my Technics turntable 3 years ago on e-bay and it made 1.5 times what I paid for it in 1980 and the Sansui amp/tuner was not far behind. The Wharfedales took a bit longer to sell but I think that was more the shipping weight issue.

Real Name
    Ken,short for Kayhan

Default Re: do you still spin your vynl?

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Brooks View Post
    Anyway, my old stereo amp has kicked the bucket. I am in the market for a high quality analog amplifier or receiver of the same 70's or 80's era.

Anybody have one they would like to part with?

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Brooks View Post
    I suppose the Yamaha receiver is no longer around??? I find the analog sound different, in a likeable way.

Hi Al,I just found the Yamaha analogue stereo you are looking for on CL:
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/2275634382.html
    I hope this helps.

I just plays some records on my player today oddly enough. It's been 35 years since I've played them. Great memorys. Barb and I had a great day with it.
    Building a Bar?
    Checkout the Woodworkers gallery http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...?do=view&g=162

Try a web site called www.vtuner.com or www.live-radio.net for internet radio. Thousands of stations, all genres, most countries, language of your choice. Got my new amp a with network connection and it had vtuner installed. Found a station in Munich, Germany playing most of the oldies I grew up with. Only brief interuption by announcer once every half hour to hour - otherwise solid music. Haven't had the TV on once all weekend (well, ok, once).
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Hi:

I have not played many LPs yet recently, but I am now set up such that I can.

Old gear is really easy to find. Just let it be known among friends and acquantances and something will turn up. I have 2 or 3 old systems sitting in storage just because I can't bear to throw something out that works. The Sansui I am using in the shop is circa 1970. Every once in a while I have to fix it, but it is old enough that it can be fixed. The tuner is analog, with the string that pulls the frequency indicator along the scale. Ah, the good old days.

Boulter