FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Sharpening Dewalt Planer Knives

Default Sharpening Dewalt Planer Knives

I understood the planer knives for my Dewalt DW735 were disposable - ie. they cannot be sharpened.

But I was talking to the retailer that sold me mine and he said they could be sharpened one time at a cost of $50 as opposed to buying a new set for $80.

Has anyone tried or had their Dewalt knives sharpened? If so how did they perform afterwards. Seems strange to me that they could be sharpened and still perform properly since there is no height (depth) adjustment fo the knives.

Who knows maybe this does work.

2. Thread Continues Below...

Default Re: Sharpening Dewalt Planer Knives

Who told you they could be sharpened? They cannot. If you sharpen them, it throws off the relationship between the knives/head and infeed/outfeed rollers. Might work once, if you just honed a hair off, but that is about it.

David - Tool Guy

Thanks David,

That is what I thought. My Jointer had blades that have to be adjusted to set them at the right height relative to the bed. I could not understand how a planer knive that has no adjustment could be sharpened without cutting less material (or none at all - if too much material is removed from the knife).

I am starting to wonder if I am shopping in the wrong tool place. This is the same outfit that talked me out of getting a drum sander to remove the tear out I was getting with my 12 1/2" Delta planer and told me their Steel City helical head planer would do the job. After reading a planer review in one of my old WOOD magazines that included the Steel City helical planer and the Dewalt Dw735 I told these guys that the SC only got a "B" for quality of surface finish and the Dewalt got and "A". Two of their salesman convinced me that the SC was the cure I was looking for and that it was better than the Dewalt. I took the SC home on a trial basis. The quality of cut from it was no better (maybe a little worse) than my old Delta. I took it back and took the Dewalt DW735 on a trial basis. WOW what a difference. The Dewalt produced faaaaaar superior quality cuts even on the high feed rate. Absolutely no comparison between the 2.

Now a 3rd salesman tells me the knives for this planer can be resharpened.

Problem is there are only 2 tool places in my nearest City (an hours drive away) other than the big box stores and they do not have much of a selection of specialty wood working machinery.

The owners manual is very clear on this. These guys are a bit... silly.
    -Mike

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

HillBilly try the Tool Place in Kelwona on Springfield you could give them a call and see what they have to say. blades for my 15 " are $60. 250-860-6404

Bill