FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody seen "Decked Out" show?

Blog Entries

Default Anybody seen "Decked Out" show?

I've been catching a few episodes of a new show on HGTV Canada called "Decked Out".

The main fellow is a bit of a cowboy, but he seems to know what he is doing, and builds some pretty nice decks imo.

Any seasoned deck builders out there have any negatives about his work if you've seen the show?

http://www.hgtv.ca/deckedout/
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody seen "Decked Out" show?

It looks like a pretty good show .I am watching it now for the first time
    If i were them i would be using framing nailers and a mitre saw whenever possible .
    The bottom rails should be higher too so you can shovel the snow off easier :-)

I watched an episode (just 1) and was taken aback by the 'light approach' to their craft. Work can't be all serious and it is TV, and thus, entertainment after all.

BUT at the end of the day, it is all about results and the one deck I saw built looked good. I'll tune in again.

I'm not a "seasoned" deck builder by any stretch but I do know the characteristics of the composite material he seems to like using. Without going through a major rant, let me just say that if I'm ever in the position to talk someone out of using that stuff, I do...and have before.

In the episode I saw the other night they were commenting on how you have to cut the miters exactly with composite board because you can't sand it down... Wonder if they will air the show when they have to go back and fix those perfect miters because of the composite's yearly expansion.

Real Name
    Glen

Using brad nails to secure cedar to pressure treated boards wont last long. Glen

Real Name
    yup its Greg

That huge deck (400 sq. Metres) is at a home about 2 min from my place. It took almost the whole summer to build. Dunno why they built it so big but to each their own. We noticed driving by the other day on the road that their lot backs onto that there is a large deep drainage trench being dug with drainage tile and wondered if they had some drainage issues this spring.

Real Name
    Ryan

I haven't seen it but I think I would tune in to watch an episode or two. (Actually, I guess I won't, since we canceled the TV service, but theoretically I would tune in!)

Funny though, when I looked at the small picture of the crew on the website I thought "oh, typical TV, they have to make sure they include the token female crew member as eye candy, just like when mike holmes put that blonde on crew" but then when I read the individual crew bios, lo and behold, the girl on this show is the blonde from mike holmes show! Guess she jumped ship or something!

Not that I have anything against having girls on the crew, or anything like that, it's just that in my few years working in the trades I have yet to see it happen in real life even once, which makes it seem a little phony, imho, when they insist on doing it on TV.

Blog Entries

Is the blonde on MH, not his daughter?
    Kevin

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    Is the blonde on MH, not his daughter?
    They went through a couple blondes on MH.

first was "pinky."

then came along kate.

then the daughter. the daughter, I remember, started on the new orleans job. it was that same job that pinky, quite the show. So they were briefly up to three blondes, but then went down to two.

when they switched to the new holmes show, I had thought they still had kate and the daugher. I know they at least had the daughter, but I was pretty sure they also still had kate.

It is kate, however, who is now on this deck show, so somewhere in there she must have left the holmes show.

I believe the ladies on the MH shows, (daughter could be the exception) are products of a government program to get women into the trades. Not sure what it's called, but I do remember hearing a reference to it at some point.

Waaay back when I started my electrical apprenticeship, the company hired a young girl (20ish) shortly after me... Only woman in a working crew of almost 100 guys... needless to say she didn't last long, but I'm certain it had more to do with the mentality of the guys then her ability to do the job. Shame really....

The 2 girls on Holmes Inspection now are Mike's daughter Sherry and Nicole Faucher.

http://www.hgtv.ca/holmesinspection/team.aspx

The show looks good so far, although I've only watched the high deck and big deck episodes. A bit of a shame that they condense so much work and interesting processes into 20min. Being in the midst of my own new deck work, I'm always looking at alternative ideas and tricks out there.

On the sub-topic in this thread........ Conestoga College has started a new program specific to Women; WIST, Women In Skilled Trades http://www.conestogac.on.ca/fulltime...mCode=1123&p=o
    It would be great to see more out there on the jobsites. Professionally they bring a different perspective and as a contractor myself, I'm sure some of our female clients would appreciate it too. When it all comes down to it though, they need to progress and perform just as well as the rest of the staff, and some of them definitely get discouraged in an extremely male dominated industry.

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by rob_clements View Post
    Professionally they bring a different perspective and as a contractor myself, I'm sure some of our female clients would appreciate it too. When it all comes down to it though, they need to progress and perform just as well as the rest of the staff, and some of them definitely get discouraged in an extremely male dominated industry.
    I totally agree with you in principle. The problem gets a little dicey in practice though. There are certain trades where the average woman could participate on the same level as the average man. But there are other trades where the average woman simply could not keep up. For example, when we shingle, the practice is to carry two bundles at once. The average male labourer can do that. The average woman likely could not. Now, some women would totally be strong enough to do that, but they would not be average women, they would be exceptional women, in the truest sense of that word.

In other words, a number of trades, i.e. mostly those requiring substantial strength, are really only open to exceptional women. That, by definition, excludes the majority of women.

The alternative, of course, would be to lower the standards so that the average woman could meet them. Would that be fair though? The last time I shingled on the weekend for friends, they had some women helping out, and it took two women to carry one bundle, whereas I was carrying two on my own. On a jobsite that would mean that I would be doing four times the work of my female co-worker. Now, I would accept that if my pay was therefore four times as big as her's, but somehow I think that women would not accept that! (and rightfully so!). In other words, lowering the standards would be unfair to those who can meet them, so I don't think it's really an alternative.

Blog Entries

I think that for every negative of one gender at certain jobs, there's a positive that can be said versus the opposite sex. And we should probably leave the man vs woman discussion at that.
    Kevin

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    I think that for every negative of one gender at certain jobs, there's a positive that can be said versus the opposite sex. And we should probably leave the man vs woman discussion at that.
    I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure that we always have to dance around. I mean, there are obvious differences between the average man and the average woman. Saying that is not controversial, and is certainly not insulting - not unless we are working in a mindset in which "different" always must mean either "better" or "worse." I mean, if you thought like that, then yes, I can see how it would be a troublesome discussion, because you wouldn't be able to say "the average man is different from the average woman" without simultaneously implying that one was therefore better than the other.

I don't buy that mindset though. To me, the difference between genders is more like the differences between sand paper grits. There are real differences between, say, 60 grit paper and 320 grit paper. But no one would ever talk about one of those being "better" or "worse" than the other. Neither is better or worse, rather, they are simply different, and because of those differences, the one is better suited to, say, sanding off old finish, while the other is better suited to cutting back between coats of new finish. nothing controversial about that, yes?

Blog Entries

As the OP, I just don't want his thread to veer into the path of the sexes debate Mack Truck I fear that could roll around the corner any minute now.

I opened the thread to get opinions on the Decked Out series, in order to evaluate how others perceived the techniques used on the show in building decks. Not that I mind when a side subject gets started in any thread, which happens often and simply is normal when people enter open discussion, but I don't want the thread's original purpose to be lost to the sub discussion, which I fear can easily happen here.

I actually agree with the points Callee mentioned thus far, but would hope we can leave it be at that.

Fade to black.....

Now, back to the show!
    Kevin

Real Name
    Ryan

Sure! I think the discussion was growing out of the OP naturally, but I'm more than happy to respect your hope there. Hit the deck!

I can't think of an actual trade that a women couldn't keep up to a man... Roofers are not tradesmen. ...and for the record, just because a worker is a member of a trade union, it does not make them a tradesperson. Drywallers are perfect examples of that.

I'm still on the fence about "Decked Out". I like the guy's attitude, and the way they design the projects, but the appearance seems to be the only focus, and not the functionality. Not sure if the show warrants more than 20mins per project as well. I mean how many scenes of joist hangers and deck boards being screwed down can you stomach...?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    I'm still on the fence about "Decked Out". I like the guy's attitude, and the way they design the projects, but the appearance seems to be the only focus, and not the functionality. Not sure if the show warrants more than 20mins per project as well. I mean how many scenes of joist hangers and deck boards being screwed down can you stomach...?
    I think the appearance at first glance looks great, and I've not discerned too many functionality issues. But one area I question in the "looks" area, is he uses a lot of diverse materials in the same construction, and they would weather differently. Especially when mixing composites with natural cedar. Unless people refinish the cedar, I could see some pretty weird looking decks down the road as a result.

Twenty minutes is fine for a show, but just like Mike Holmes shows, although they do offer the odd proper "how-to" or "why it is done this way", I would like to see more details of how to do certain things in detail in a longer show, although when MH's went to an hour long, it was not to expand the how-to content.

I think there are only four episodes so far. Not sure how many more are forthcoming. I'd like to see more. Surprised they even came out with a show dedicated to just deck building. Seems rather myopic. Or is this just a stepping stone to introduce the host as a Canadian version of "Billy the Exterminator" (that's who he reminds me of) for something else in the not too distant future?

Don't they look like they came out of the same trailer park?
    Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 04-27-2011 at 05:36 AM.
    Kevin

Watching the 'deck with levels' episode and noticed a couple of issues.
    1. It clearly shows them using sleeve anchors to attach the ledger to the brick masonry. That's not code-compliant, as brick veneer is not considered load-bearing. Alternatively they need to drill through the brick and lag into the existing wood structure behind it.
    2. sill gasket behind the ledger? he claims this will allow the moisture to drip down behind the ledger and not be in contact with the wood. if that ledger is connected properly (meaning tight), the sill gasket will prevent either of those two surfaces from drying out when they get wet. In my current deck build, the best scenario I came up with was using 1/4" thin strips behind the ledger to stand it off from the masonry. The strips used in the lumber piles are perfect, and are even pressure-treated.
    Last edited by rob_clements; 04-27-2011 at 02:02 PM.