FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Craftex CX200 / King KC-26FXT / Grizzly G0691 Cabinet Saws - anyone wih experience?

Default Craftex CX200 / King KC-26FXT / Grizzly G0691 Cabinet Saws - anyone wih experience?

I'm seriously considering adding one of these tricked out with the sliding table attachment, and router table to my shop. Before I do, I thought I'd ask here what your thoughts were.

BTW, I contacted King Canada yesterday to find out what the differences between the KC-26FXT and KC-10JCS was. The local dealer said it was just extra HP :-)

From the horse's mouth:
    "The 26FX is a true cabinet saw with the trunnions hung from the cabinet and
    built a little heavier than the 10JCS

The 10 JCS is a hybrid saw with lighter trunnions and they are hung from the
    table top like a contractors' saw would be. "

Default Re: Craftex CX200 / King KC-26FXT / Grizzly G0691 Cabinet Saws - anyone wih experienc

I would take the Grizzly hands down if for no other reason than their long standing record of excellent customer service. I have one of their 17 inch bandsaws and it has been an excellent saw. The Grizzly saw is now CSA approved as indicated on their web site and the G0691 also appears to have longer fence rails than the CX200. The higher value of our dollar also works in our favor for a change. I would take a cabinet saw over a hybrid if for no other reason than the extra weight which will give you a smoother running saw. There is one member on this forum that I know of that has the G0691.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 05-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Default Re: Craftex CX200 / King KC-26FXT / Grizzly G0691 Cabinet Saws - anyone wih experienc

I'd like to support the Canadian economy but given that Busy Bee recently increased the pricing of its saws, I suspect you'll end up paying quite a bit more to get it than you would the Grizzly. You do get an extra two years of warranty with Busy Bee, though. However, two extra years doesn't amount to much if there's no customer service to back it up (not suggesting that that's the case).

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

I would buy whichever model has local dealer support, since I suspect that they're all fairly close in grade and features.

I don't believe that any of the vendors listed have field service groups, so service won't be a deciding factor.............Regards, Rod.

King has this combo on for $2499, while Busy Bee wants $2587.

The exposed metal on the display tools at the local Busy Bee is rusted. If that's how they sell, I'm running from their service.

The local King Dealer (Rideout Tool & Machine Inc) cleans their display tools daily, and ensures that everything moves freely.

There's a Grizzly G0691 new in the box listed on Kijiji for $1800.

I've been looking at the CX201 myself as well. I've been extremely pleased with the CX100 14" bandsaw I bought. Not sure why people question service, BB is a pretty big retailer, bigger than any dealer type stores and I've always had great service at my local BB. I'm not to keen on ordering large machinery from across the border and would likely be a similar price with everything involved. Between the three choices I would go with the CX machine. If I end up buying I'll post my thoughts. e

Quote Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
    I've been looking at the CX201 myself as well. I've been extremely pleased with the CX100 14" bandsaw I bought. Not sure why people question service, BB is a pretty big retailer, bigger than any dealer type stores and I've always had great service at my local BB. I'm not to keen on ordering large machinery from across the border and would likely be a similar price with everything involved. Between the three choices I would go with the CX machine. If I end up buying I'll post my thoughts. e
    Good for you my service always was poor in alberta I would not buy their machinery if would be half price.
    Last edited by andrew.alberta; 05-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Matt,

I need to be able to trust the people I buy from. I lived in Ottawa for several years, and dealt with Busy Bee there. I did not like what I saw in my new location. Until it's fixed, I'll make major purchases elsewhere. I'm lucky to be in an area with lots of options.

Real Name
    Mike

Dont buy the king kc-10 it is a piece of junk. I had one a while back and I sold it. When you tilt it all the way the pulleys hit on the top which is a problem with the contractor design. It is also underpowered.

Did you notice the Unisaw for sale on Kijiji, It is in Cape Breton, I would make an offer on that. it would be a far better saw than what you are considering.

Not sure how your budget is but there is a Sawstop on Kijiji as well, You could make an offer on that, It is under the business section, I have seen it in person and it is like new.

I did end up with the Unisaw from Cape Breton. It was a Grand Edition, with an engraved name plate. I brought it and a King KC3105C Dust Collector home for about $1600, including vehicle rental and fuel. I used my engine hoist to load/unload the saw from the cargo van. It made the job relatively easy.

The SawStop was listed on Kijiji for $4000. New, the saw retails for $4200. If a more reasonable price were listed in the ad, I'd have taken a closer look. I would have paid up to $2500 for that saw.

I wasn't about to advertize the Kijiji opportunities here, until I had eliminated them, or bought the one I wanted

BTW there's another Unisaw available in New Brunswick, fairly close to Moncton. It's about the same distance as Cape Breton from Halifax.

Let's see the Unisaw ---------------Pics please--------------

The saw was originally purchased from House of Tools in Calgary, AB.

This shows the saw with the sling I used to lift it
    . Sling1.jpg

... and the plywood I used to keep the sling positioned. The small pieces of plywood keep the sling from chafing on the ground. There are whippings on the sling to mark distances from center bottom to help position it. The two ropes are lashed together at center bottom.

Sling2.jpg

SawTop
    SawTop.jpg

Motor

SawMotor.jpg

Extension table, fence, rail, and home made outfeed table.

SawParts.jpg

I need to clean it up before assembly. I also have to run a 220V cct in the shop for the saw.
    Last edited by OldSalt; 05-15-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clean up first attempt to upload images

Real Name
    Mike

Glad to see you got the uni! I think that the sawstop could have been bought for less but not 2500. It is a bit more than $4200 for what he has and it is like new.

I don't have much to add to this thread as I'm facing a similar decision right now. I'm leaning toward the King but would like to know more about Grizzly's redesigned trunions and the advantages they may have.

Quote Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
    Not sure why people question service, BB is a pretty big retailer, bigger than any dealer type stores and I've always had great service at my local BB.
    I'm not sure why being a big retailer is an advantage when it comes to selling specialty tools but I've placed a couple of calls to BusyBee asking about the CX206 saw. My questions are specific and I've left two voice messages in the last week, outlining the questions. No one from BB has returned my calls, nor do I expect them to.

Meanwhile, I called the local King dealer asking about the arbor. He answered my question in more detail than requested and sent me some pictures of his display model to illustrating what he is talking about. In short, he seems like a business worth supporting.

... but I lust the extra cut depth of the 12" Craftex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brown View Post
    Meanwhile, I called the local King dealer asking about the arbor. He answered my question in more detail than requested and sent me some pictures of his display model to illustrating what he is talking about. In short, he seems like a business worth supporting.
    If you're talking about Great West Saw, I have always had good service from Mike. He was with Mr. Tool, then when House of Tools took over, he managed the Regina store. He left the business for a bit but came back when Great West opened up.

I've bought lots of stuff from him and don't have single complaint except that the store is not open on Saturdays.

I also have the Grizzly version of the saw and love it. You should drop down to the store. They have a tricked out King with the sliding table and the router table setup.
    the other Ken
    ------
    I actually have enough clamps

Just have to agree with what Ken said. Have always had great sevice from Mike whether at Mr. Tool, Houise of Tools or now Great West Saw.
    Lorne

What Ken and Lorne said. I have not purchased any big iron yet, still saving for that hammer j/p, but he has been great with my other purchases.

Real Name
    Mick

you could consider Shopfox too ( Grizzly sister company ) Elitetools is carrying them now and Rony was great answering all my questions about the SF Jointer i just ordered. And SF Customer service was great , they actually called me yesterday after i emailed a few questions about the spiral inserts.

shopfox has the W1819 and 1820 ( CSA) i think, it is here

http://www.woodstockint.com/product_...|530000|530002

Elite's ShopFox page is here

http://www.elitetools.ca/en/brand/shop-fox/

Shipping cost was good for something like this and it ships direct from SF not thru Quebec.

Mick

I need to mention that BusyBee did get back to me on Tuesday of this week.

I am also looking at these 3 saws, what's the general consensus? Craftex I can get the saw and router extension for about the same price as the grizzly and router extension with the freight and brokerage fees. Plus Craftex is local and has 3 year warranty.

Maybe I have answered my own question?

-------------------------------
    Chase "Fetch"