FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Split Tooth

Default Split Tooth

Anyone ever have a molar split in half vertically? No cavity or any other problems just split. Dentist says the only thing that can be done is to have it pulled. Not even loose. I was hoping it might need a cap at worst. Anyone have an opinion?

Default Re: Split Tooth

With some splits it isn't possible to save a tooth. I'm sure that if it were possible, your dentist would do it. (He bills a heck of a lot more for that than for an extraction.) Do you grind your teeth at night, chew popcorn kernels, crunch ice. All can cause cracks in teeth.

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

I broke a tooth once eating a soft peanut butter sandwidch. But the tooth did have a filling in it.

I have broken other teeth but that was caused by being hit by a mini van while bicycling at the time. If the crack goes below the gum line then they have little choice but to remove it.

I split a molar several months back. The dentist thought he could drill it out and fill it, but the crack was too deep. Problem came when he tried to extract the tooth as he had drilled so deep that it made it very difficult to extract. Long story short - they had to re-freeze me three times - and it took about 3 hours from start to finish. It took several weeks for the hole to fill itself in, but looking back - I would have said - just extract it, no fooling around.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

If the split goes all the way down then any infection could find its way into the bone and give you a worse problem. If you have a filling in the tooth next to it they may be able to remove that filling and replace it with a bridge, i.e. a cap with a false tooth attached to it that fills the gap. I've got one of those, but I've also got a good dental plan that paid for it.
    Jim

If pulling is the only option, I believe it's possible to implant a new tooth, attaching it to the jaw bone. However, I don't know if it's possible for molars.

...Wayne

Real Name
    Werner

I had root canal done on one, several years later it split as I bit on an unpopped piece of popcorn. The only thing that could be done was to extract it, not a fun thing as it came out in several pieces. The dentist wanted to perform root canal on the one in front and the one behind and install a bridge over the missing tooth, I suggested that it would be a cold day in hell before I would submit to that kind of treatment, I still have a space between two teeth at the back of my mouth.
    Cheers,
    Werner

Sunday eve I was chewing a piece of bread and broke off the top of a small molar on lower jaw,second from back. It had been filled previously. Left a "very" sharp spike on the inside next to my tongue. Called dentist on Monday am at 8:05......Booked solid!!! Could see me on Tues at 3:00.....Told her about the "spike" and how painful it was....No sympathy shown!!!!!

Went to dentist on Tues....Took x ray and ground off the spike and gave me three options.....
    (1)....leave it but it will give me problems down the road as the nerve ending is very close to the existing top surface
    (2)....Have a root canal and he would rebuild the tooth with a pin inserted in the hole drilled for the root canal...Cost $1000.00 +/-
    @3)...Have it pulled later.....

Went home with a bill for $14.00 for the x ray!!!!

J....Should have been a dentist BUT would I really want to look down someone's throat every morning?
    Don't do anything that you're not prepared to explain to a paramedic

I'm no expert but being married to a Dental Hygienist for the last 31 years has given me a little insight. As someone else said that tooth is worth way more to the dentist than no tooth, if he's said pull then likely there's no other choice.

Had a similar problem this week. My dentist looked at my molar and said there is a crack down the inside (tongue side). He told me he could Cap it or pull it.......welllll I said I am no movie star and I have had no problem eating ( I got the pounds to prove it hi hi). I told him the last molars I had out about 30 years ago were a real chore. First one removed in the Dentist's office that I had at the time. Since he had such a problem he sent me to have the other 3 removed in the Hospital.
    Well after I told him this He tells me that He only removes the "easy ones" and so he said I will need to have this one removed by a Dental surgeon and he set up an appointment to have it removed.
    This Tuesday I had it removed, it took the surgeon only ten minutes and it was out and in one piece....... This little "Gem" cost me $446.00 for a total of 30 minutes time including waiting for the freezing to take effect.

Sure glad there was only one at that price........sure hard on the pension.
    Cheers............. Doug

"Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long."

Titebond III

I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.
    the other Ken
    ------
    I actually have enough clamps

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

My Grannie broke off one of her front teeth when she was in her 90's...She glued it back in with crazy glue and we would never have known but she managed to glue it in backwards...Hee hee....the dentist had a great laugh when we took her in...
    How hard can it be? Guys do it everyday

Thanks to all who replied. No popcorn or ice for me. I only have had 2 minor chips fixed at the dentist in 46 years. They had never seen a break like this. It didn't even show up on the xray. I do like the crazy glue story and wonder why they couldn't bond it back together if there was no damage. I plan on a 2nd opinion at the dental surgeon is booked up for 2 weeks just to give a consult.

I had a wisdom tooth break & it pulled in pieces. Trouble is the dentist had a heck of a time & also managed to snap off the root of the molar next to the target wisdom. He also left that broken root in there & it is gradually after 2 years working its' way to the surface. Only problem is that it is a stand alone molar currently anchoring a partial & the dentist says when it does come out I will likely lose the molar as well. Not looking forward to that.
    Amazing dental charges like $15.00 for an X-ray ? We get nicked $45.00 & on top of that another $50.00 for an examination even if you only went in for a cleaning. If our dentists keep that up they will soon be charging as much as vetenarians that look after our dog's teeth. LOL.

Lee
    Lee

FYI Implants run about $6000 each - I have a friend that has his 'falsies' attached with two implants - he couldn't stand them any other way.

Blue cross and I have probably bought my dentist several new golf carts more than a few years of club fees.

The part I love best is gum surgery - tastes like a family of gerbils camped out in one's mouth for several weeks. Delightful

Oh well, getting them fixed is better than blender food.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

I'm afraid that I have little faith in the dental profession. The old family dentist who did just what was necessary to maintain a healthy set of teeth seems to have disappeared, and big money has taken over. Then there is the absolutely necessary cleaning - scraping away to get something started is my cynical view of that process. About eight years ago I was told that I had to have just about everything crowned. Probably coincided with expenses for the dentist's private aeroplane. With rigorous after every meal brushing I have had no subsequent problems. A receding gum line did expose a sensitive spot on one tooth, which I find I can counter with just a smidgen of crazy glue! We do have a dental coverage plan, but find the dental charges are away out of line with the coverage.

Glenn - and yes - I'm a canny Scot!

CA glue or Bondo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn at Raven View Post
    I'm afraid that I have little faith in the dental profession. The old family dentist who did just what was necessary to maintain a healthy set of teeth seems to have disappeared, and big money has taken over. Then there is the absolutely necessary cleaning - scraping away to get something started is my cynical view of that process. About eight years ago I was told that I had to have just about everything crowned. Probably coincided with expenses for the dentist's private aeroplane. With rigorous after every meal brushing I have had no subsequent problems. A receding gum line did expose a sensitive spot on one tooth, which I find I can counter with just a smidgen of crazy glue! We do have a dental coverage plan, but find the dental charges are away out of line with the coverage.

Glenn - and yes - I'm a canny Scot!
    It is indeed sad that there seems to be dental advice that is geared to money making more than reasonable advice as what is sufficient to care for one's teeth. Funny someone mentioned vets, as I also think a lot of vets are like this as well.

Most people are not aware, but it is not hard to clean your own teeth if you have the right instrument. Either a hygienist's scrapper, if you can buy/find one, or any burred end metal narrow type instrument. Ask your dentist/hygienist if they'll sell you one. I had one who used to, but stopped as "Some people have hurt themselves", which may have been true, but may have been for other reasons as well. I've never tried, but I have to imagine nowadays, you can find a source on the internet to buy them.

Try Sensodyne for sensitive teeth. It really works, just tastes weird for the first week or so. Crazy glue sounds scary to me.

Buy a good electric tooth brush and you don't need to clean nearly as often. Bought my first one a couple of years ago (Phillips Sonicare), and despite the weird sensation and messy execution for the first week or so, I would never go back to a regular brush now.
    Kevin