FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: A bit of a wooden plane gloat

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

Default A bit of a wooden plane gloat

I answered a Kijiji ad tonight for 2 wooden planes for sale, at $25 each. I knew I could only afford one, and after looking at the two, selected the one I wanted. It needed a bit of planing on the bottom, but was in overall better condition than the other. So as I was reaching for my wallet, the nice man said, "What about the other one?" I said I really couldn't afford two, and was interested in using them, not in displaying them in my rec room. He said, "OK, how about $30 for the pair?"

Ka-CHING! I gave him the $30 and came away with at least one restorable plane. He says they were his grandfather's. The blades have chip breakers, and are about 4 to 5 mm. thick. It will take a bit of grinding to get the rust off, but I should have at least one usable plane out of the two, maybe two planes.

Pictures to follow.
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Everyone is a self-made person.

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

Default Re: A bit a a wooden plane gloat

OK, I'll take the pics a little later today, when all my houseguests get out of my way. I just took the planes apart (not difficult, they each have four parts) and checked out the blades. One is 2¼" wide and the other 2 1/8". They are marked 'Sandusky Tool Company' on one blade, but I can only make out "------OL CO" on the other, and the words "Auburn, NY." The one that says Sandusky on it adds the words "Warranted Cast Steel." The blades are tapered from 1½mm at the top to 4mm just ahead of the angle of the cutting edge. The top of both blades show signs of heavy hammering, as they are spread a bit. I'm not sure what kind of wood they are made from, but they have neither cheeks nor a sole, being made from a solid piece of hardwood about 2½" square.

Pictures, soon, I promise.
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

These pictures are of the assembled planes, then stripped down and the one blade where you can read "Auburn, NY." The darker coloured plane turns out to be the better of the two. Its bottom is nearly straight, and it should make a good user. The other plane, the one with the handle intact, appears to have a twist in the back part of the body. I'm not sure about getting it out. I'll think of something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warthog; 05-26-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: grammar
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Looks like some decent jack planes.

For the one with the broken tote, try putting the plane body over a pot of slow boiling water, the heat/steam will most likely loose then glue holding the base of the tote in. This will then let you make a new tote for it.

For the one with the twist, mark the high areas with a pencil and plane them off, a straight edge and winding sticks will guide you to a flat bottom. If the mouth of the plane is huge at that stage, you can always patch in a piece at the front of the mouth to tighten it up.

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

Default Re: A bit of a wooden plane gloat

Thanks for that. I am considering cutting the old tote off flush, as I have seen these planes used without a tote, but I'll think about doing what you suggest. I thought about bandsawing the bottom ¼" off the twisted plane, and adding a sole. It'll be a learning experience, for sure.
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Real Name
    Mike

I like wooden plane. It's a fun little project on it's own. Also, the massive blade dwarf even Lie-Nielsen's blade. I find they do very good job flattening board and edge jointing.

Lapping metal plane sole is painfully boring.

Should be easy to just put a wood screw into the handle stub, then suspend the plane over a pot of boiling water with a bit of foil for a lid and let it go for 15-30 minutes give the screw a tug with a pair of pliers or a tap with a mallet.

I really like having a tote on a plane, just makes it nicer on the hands, this is assuming the tote is a properly sized for your hand.

I wouldn't bandsaw the sole unless it is really twisted, easier to just hit the spots and bring it back to level then flat. Also you might end up with more movement by cutting off the whole sole. I have also seen it done with a power jointer by keeping the plane body tight to the fence and taking light passes.

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

Default Took some shavings

I put the plane with the broken tote into use on a piece of wood I use for checking the set of my blades. It took pretty good shavings, and with a little more skill in whacking the front and back of the plane with a wooden mallet, I should be taking fine shavings soon. I cut off the stub of the tote, and find I don't really need a tote to use it. It is so close to true on the bottom I don't think I will gain much by further flattening the sole. (But of course I will.) I plan to lightly sand off all the old finish and give it a newer look. It's a gorgeous piece of wood.

With the other plane, I have bandsawed the twisted bottom off (It was really badly twisted,) and have a piece of ¼" Padauk ready to become a sole More on that later.
    Cheers,
    Warthog