FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Wiring ?

Default Wiring ?

I have a GE pushbutton switch(industrial) and an Allen-Bradley Magnetic starter w/overloads and a 220v coil. I want to know if the push button switch can be wired @220v or should I replace the coil in the starter to a 110v coil?
    I've searched around on the web and can't even find the switch wiring diagram.
    I'm pretty sure I can run the mag. as is, as my T.S. has a 110v coil running a 220v motor and the coil was accidently wired @220v and burned out. Can anyone provide a link where I can find some good wiring diagrams? I have tried various manufacturers and can't find any wiring diagrams that I can use/understand.
    TIA.
    Mike.

Michael in Port Alberni Guest

Default Re: Wiring ?

If that is an industrial push button then in all likelyhood it is good all the way to sixhundred volts. You could rplace the coil with a 110v coil if you like but it is not necesary, and unless you have a bucket of them lying around (like the one in my shop) you don't want to see what they cost.

Is it a 505, 509 or 508 starter? What size? 0,1 or 2? The hp ratings should be writen on the starter somewhere.

To wire the starter, one side of the coil will be fed from one of the 220 wires through the overload contacts which are at the bottom of the starter. The older ones have one set of contacts for every pole in the contactor. The newer ones have one contact that trps on all poles. The other line must run trough the normally closed contacts on the stop button, from there, one wire goes to the other coil screw directly, and the other goes through the normally closed contacts on the stop button to the maintain contacts on top of the coil. these should be labeled 2 and three. the other side of these contacts are then tied to the same screw on the coil as the wire fronm the stop button.

Let me know what starter you hacve and I'll have a look to see if I have a similar one in the shop, I could then tell you exactly which teminals. If you are still having trouble I could fax you a diagram if I can't get the file small enough to post here.

Cheers

Michael

Default Re: Wiring ? *LINK*

Thanks for the quick response. Usually I'm pretty good with wiring, but this switch/starter combination seems to be a little over my head.

The numers I found on the starter are as follows:size 1
    509-BOXA
    27A cont. Max
    230v 3hp.
    CB254 coil
    W-60 heater
    The specs. for the motor can be found at the link below. I hope the starter will be ok to use with this motor as I can't really afford to buy another right now.

I hope this info. can help you, help me
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Motor
    Last edited by newebmaster; 07-28-2006 at 10:19 PM.

J.P.Rap in Hamilton Guest

Its kinda hard to tell by the pick but that looks like a pretty heavy duty push switch. I would think its more than heavy enough for your needs.
    Im sure Michael will be able to say for sure but in the mean time...
    The pushbutton conducts very low amps and the motor current doesn't pass the the buttons. For example, if you have a 10amp motor, you need a switch that will handle the 10 amps at 220 plus some leway for the starting amps. Thats what the contacts in the magswitch do. The 220 coil in the magswitch will draw very low amps(likely less than 1 amp) and thats what passes through the push switch. If anything burns out it would be the push switch not the magswitch.

I know that doesn't completely clear thing up for you but maybe it will help.
    J.P.

Mike
    That starter and P/B should work fine. The W60 overload I think is 1 size too small it should be W59. You also should have 2 overloads.
    Good luck
    Danny

Mike Harris, London Guest

Hi Mike

The starter is fine for motor you're using. You don't need to change the coil to 120V, the 240V coil will do the job.

I can't tell from your switch what type it is, are push buttons momentary contacts or is it a rocker type switch(push the black start button and the contacts are made all the time). The type of switch matters as it's a different wiring method for each, with the rocker switch you won't need to use the holding contacts, if momentary push buttons, you'll need the holding contacts.

I don't have a table so Danny is likely correct with the overload size but he's right you need 2 overloads not 1. When I know what type of switch you're using the wiring diagram is a piece of cake for either type of switch.

Mike

Mike; the switch has a momentary contact for the start and the power is fed through the stop button witch has the contacts closed until the button is pushed. the switch on my T.S. is the same, it is running a 110v coil. It also has a jumper wire between the start and stop button.
    AAARRRGGG! this is confusing!
    Mike.

Hi Mike

I'll draw a wiring diagram for you and post it when I get back from my daughter's swimming leason.

Mike

Default Re: Basic Stop/Start wiring diagram *PIC*

Hi Mike

Here's a basic diagram that will work, your coil and holding contacts are already partially wired so you just need to connect your stop/start switch in.

When you mount the starter and switch on your BS make sure you use a nipple between the two. Control wiring is #14(make control wiring a different colour ie: red) and your motor feeds should be #10 and you should use a 30A 2 pole breaker. Follow the diagram and wire 1 wire at a time and you shouldn't get confused.

Any questions just ask, I see 2 other electricans have responded as well so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck
    Mike
    Last edited by newebmaster; 07-28-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Michael in Port Alberni Guest

I saved the picture and put some numbers on it. The file is too large to repost, and the photo's I took of the starters in the shop were way to big. This picyure posting is a major pain in the ass. I will try to email it to you instead. If anyone wants to try to resize and post, I'll email the thing to you, I have a bunch to stufft o do this afternoon and haven't the patience to screw with the technology.. Hop this will help.

The incoming power, L1 and L2 attach to terminals #5. The leads to the motor attach to ternimals #6 (not the ones you can see in the picture, the screws are below the numbers on the bottom). The connection from L1 or L2 through the overload contacts between 7 and 8 and on to the coil 3 seems to be done already. From the secondary side of the start push button, the wire will connect to terminal #2. From the secondary side of the stop button, a wire will go to ternimal 1. On the push button, the secondary side of the stop button should also be connected to the start button, it will pass power to the start button and the terminal marked 2.

If you have an ohm meter, I will have to know which terminals on the PB are notmally open and which are normally closed. If you look at the diagram Mike Harris poster, the power comes into the pushbutton and passes through the normally closed contacts on the stop buttopn. after that it splits.. one line goes to the starter terminal 1 and the other passes power to one side of the start button. The start button is normally open, and the wire from the other side goes to terminal 2.

Ring out the terminals on the button, and I can tell you which terminals are which. The button looks like one I have used frequently in the past, but I cant remember which screws are which.

Hope this confusing mess helps... Let me know if you have any trouble...

Cheers

Michael