FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Router bit profile combinations

Default Router bit profile combinations

Does anyone have a resource that's online or can reference a magazine article that shows examples of how to use different router bits to make multi profile designs? Like using an ogie, cove, roundover to make crown moulding or picture frames? I sometimes wonder how all the different frame profiles are made.
    Last edited by Bob R., Ottawa; 08-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: Router bit profile combinations

when starting a project with profiles that require multiple bits, router heights etc etc, ill experiment on some cheap material like barn pine, and using a cheap set of bits(mine are the cheap mastercraft set)

when ive settled on a design i want, i work with good bits and the real materials. sometimes of course i'll wind up buying a particular bit for the project but at least i know which one will work
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I believe Woodsmith magazine has an online article tied in to a TV episode that shows how to make 17 different profiles from 3 basic bits. Sorry can't give you a link -- their site is a minefield of popup ads that my firewall blanks out.
    Jim

Real Name
    Mark Rose

It is always best to work from cross sections. There is a bit of a formula to molding like proportions 1/3 to 2/3, one curve to another, convex to concave, small molding profile next to a large. I draw out cross sections and match it to my cutters. It helps to have piles of cutters of cutters to draw upon. Failing that, you can build a tilt table for the router and change the profile slightly, use the table saw to make cove cuts or nibble out a profile on the table saw and finish up with scrapers or a scratch stock or build up profiles by adding molding together.
    I keep lots of finished profiles on hand you can use a finger gauge to copy existing profiles. It does give your woodworking hand made custom look rather than just pull out ogee router bit from stock. Popular Woodworking had a chart of some profile
    search "molding chart" I am not sure if I should post the link here. LV has also have reprinted books in the past of old house moldings.
    Cheers, Mark
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R., Ottawa View Post
    Does anyone have a resource that's online or can reference a magazine article that shows examples of how to use different router bits to make multi profile designs? Like using an ogie, cove, roundover to make crown moulding or picture frames? I sometimes wonder how all the different frame profiles are made.
    Here's one page that I have Bob --

Like Jim says Woodsmith has a whole bunch on their site but I have all the profiles under links from --
    The Woodworker's Choice - Woodworking Tools and Accessories - Creating Mouldings with Multi-Profile Bit - Page 2. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayked View Post
    I believe Woodsmith magazine has an online article tied in to a TV episode that shows how to make 17 different profiles from 3 basic bits. Sorry can't give you a link -- their site is a minefield of popup ads that my firewall blanks out.
    Jim
    What a terrible website they have, is there any way to search that site for something? Idealy I should be able to search for a topic over articles, e-tips, online extras etc. and then either get a ling or pay to view it. Or pay to purchase that issue.

Brenlo has a good selection of profiles and examples of stacked profiles. Don't think you can access the catalogues thru their website unless you are in the trade. I found their catalogue thru another site but it is pretty slow.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38466073/Brenlo-Catalog

The TV episode is 207, Router Table Techniques. Downloads are free, apparently, but you have to register first. I never have, because I don't want a load of advertising in my inbox. Good luck!
    Jim

What a terrible website they have, is there any way to search that site for something? Idealy I should be able to search for a topic over articles, e-tips, online extras etc. and then either get a ling or pay to view it. Or pay to purchase that issue.
    OK -- I opened all my links and saved the 16 pages to my PB album -- here is a link to them -- http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...er%20Profiles/ .

Wally, those pictures were awesome - exactly what I was looking for. What is/was "The Woodworkers Choice"? It sounds like a company that went out of business. I'm wondering where they came from.

Wally, those pictures were awesome - exactly what I was looking for. What is/was "The Woodworkers Choice"? It sounds like a company that went out of business. I'm wondering where they came from.
    I don't remember where or when I got them but it was quite q few years ago. You can download and print those if you like.

Wally,

Thanks for sharing those with us! Really valuable.

Real Name
    Geofrey

Quote Originally Posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
    OK -- I opened all my links and saved the 16 pages to my PB album -- here is a link to them -- http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...er%20Profiles/ .
    Hey! there Wally, thanks very much for the link, it was very helpful to me too. I hope there. It is the first real resource I have gotten on here. And I would have given you a thank you or added your reputation if they had any of those systems here but unfortunately they don't.

But anyway thanks again very much.