FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Smile Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Hello all, and welcome back to my project house. Being as the outside “Maximum Makeover” (here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...Pics-on-page-7.) went so well last year, we decided to do it again this year…..but this time it’s all inside. For this job I’m doing a complete gut and rebuild of the house’s interior…(I hope)

Over the next while I’m going to post daily updates and pictures as things progress, and welcome any questions or comments on the build, products and materials used, or design…..but please no comments on my wardrobe and/or (lack of) hair, I get enough of that at home .

What it’s all about: I’m a D.I.Y. guy through and through (mostly because I’m cheap I think ;) ) so with this maximum makeover series, I’m going to try and push the limits of DIY and hopefully come out of it having both taught and learned some things, and if the stars align: End up with a new, attractive, modern, and energy efficient interior for this 1970’s former cottage.

A note: I am not/never have been a contractor, I’m just an avid Do-It-Yourselfer. I’m jumping into this project as a homeowner, and as such I will very probably make mistakes, do some things the hard way, and just like most homeowners: I’ll likely end up messing some stuff up as I go (Except I get to mess up with the internet watching).

In a nutshell? If I can pull this off, anyone can….and hopefully going through this with me might give someone a little inspiration to maybe step outside their “DIY comfort zone” a little and take on a bigger project than they might otherwise try.

Anyway, thanks for coming along for the ride….with any luck, we’ll come through it in once piece.

Ryan Shervill
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Default Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Entry #1: The “Before”

As you can see, the inside of this house goes from the “OK” looking living room to the absolutely, positively, no-holds-barred ugly mess of a kitchen. Pretty much every square inch of the house was either T&G cedar (including the cabinetry!) or 3/8” drywall and popcorn.

Entranceway looking up to the dining area

View from the other corner of the living room towards the stairs/bedroom hallway

From the dining area looking down into the living room/entrance

And finally, the worlds ugliest kitchen:

I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Default Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Entry #2: Demolition!

Knowing that someone could use the cedar, I carefully pulled every piece off of the wall and piled it neatly in the middle of the living room until it could find a new home…which ended up being with a forum member .

Then I started on the insulation,

But had to stop, as it was rapidly filling up my work area, and they weren’t coming until the next day to drop off my construction bin.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Entry #3: Demolition goes hard core

First thing in the morning Simcoe Disposal dropped off the bin. A bin is an absolute must when taking on a demolition this big….otherwise I would have spent the better part of my days driving back and forth to the dump with my trailer. A note: Always go bigger than you’ll think you need. I was sure a 10 yard bin would be plenty….as you’ll see later, it was a good thing he brought me the 14 yard bin “just to be safe”

The bin comes in on a Tilt N Load truck, and is set down on protective planks to prevent marking up the driveway (They bring the planks)

The cost was around 200 bucks….WELL worth it, both in saved labour and convenience (didn’t even have to leave the deck to put stuff in the bin )

No affiliation (other than being a happy customer), but if you need a bin, here’s their info

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Continued:

The drywall came off the ceilings

And the walls:

The kitchen “cabinets” came out with surgical like precision, being extra careful not to harm them. ;)

And then the rest of the cedar came off of the kitchen walls, and the rest of the day was spent cleaning up and preparing for more destruction in the AM. Demolition is fun. Dirty work for sure, but breaking stuff is a great way to relieve stress

Thanks for looking, more tomorrow!

Ryan

Blog Entries

Oh goodie! Another worthwhile project coming on the forum. Thanks for sharing Ryan.

Why did you remove the drywall. Was it just to have a fresh slate to work from, or was it due to the drywall being unacceptible, or are you going to something else?

Did Frank Pellow end up with the discarded cedar by chance?

I can understand why you are doing this. It certainly looked fine as a cottage, but if you want the "home" look, yep! Had to go.

Might I suggest some video footage(s) this time around for things that may be suitable for such. Take it up a notch!
    Kevin

Real Name
    Ryan

yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Question: when were these pics taken? I'm just wondering how, if they were at all recent, you weren't sweating to death in that insulated shirt!

Comment: We've had many bins delivered by many different companies, and this is the first time I've heard of them providing protective planks. I think it's an awesome idea to protect your own driveway, I'm only commenting so that other forum members who want to make sure that their bin comes with planks might just double check on the phone when they're ordering to make sure their company is as considerate as yours.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    Oh goodie! Another worthwhile project coming on the forum. Thanks for sharing Ryan.

Why did you remove the drywall. Was it just to have a fresh slate to work from, or was it due to the drywall being unacceptible, or are you going to something else?

Did Frank Pellow end up with the discarded cedar by chance?

I can understand why you are doing this. It certainly looked fine as a cottage, but if you want the "home" look, yep! Had to go.

Might I suggest some video footage(s) this time around for things that may be suitable for such. Take it up a notch!
    Hi Guys, thanks

The cedar did not go to Frank....I don’t want to reveal who got it as I have a feeling it will get it's own project thread later...let's keep it a surprise

The drywall was awful....two layers of wallpaper, multiple repairs, and a coat of paint or three....it was easier just to take it all down. Besides, there's more to it...stay tuned.

The why was more about practicality than anything....2X10 cathedral ceilings and 2x4 walls don't offer much as far as insulation goes, and up here we kind of need it .

Finally: Video. Sorry, but it's going to have to stay photo based. I work alone 99% of the time and getting photos is hard enough, video would be brutal! Besides, uploading vids over our rural internet connection would be an absolute nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by callee View Post
    yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by callee View Post

Question: when were these pics taken? I'm just wondering how, if they were at all recent, you weren't sweating to death in that insulated shirt!

Comment: We've had many bins delivered by many different companies, and this is the first time I've heard of them providing protective planks. I think it's an awesome idea to protect your own driveway, I'm only commenting so that other forum members who want to make sure that their bin comes with planks might just double check on the phone when they're ordering to make sure their company is as considerate as yours.

Hey Ryan. The shirt and jeans were a necessity I'm afraid....old fiberglass and I do NOT get along whatsoever. I'd rather deal with the sweat than the welts that come up on my arms when dealing with the stuff.

As far as your comment: Great point! It was just a few 2X10s that he had strapped to his truck, and I really never thought much more about it...but it's good advice to check/provide your own and protect the driveway, those bins are heavy.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 08-29-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Ryan

I just happened to be in Chapters last week browsing through the magazines and I saw Canadian Woodworking magazine on the shelf. I thought that house looks familiar and then when I took a closer look I realized it was your outdoor makeover from last summer. This one promises to be even more interesting. I take it you have stashed the family elsewhere during the mayhem since it looks a big dusty job with probably no kitchen for while.
    I did a major basement renovation about 5 years ago for which I got a bin from Bin There, Dump That and they used the planks to protect my driveway back then. Definitely a good idea cause those bins are not light and when you get them loaded up with a ton or more of construction debris they could really take a toll.

Blaine
    "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
    Tage Frid

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine in Kitchener View Post
    Ryan

I just happened to be in Chapters last week browsing through the magazines and I saw Canadian Woodworking magazine on the shelf. I thought that house looks familiar and then when I took a closer look I realized it was your outdoor makeover from last summer. This one promises to be even more interesting. I take it you have stashed the family elsewhere during the mayhem since it looks a big dusty job with probably no kitchen for while.
    I did a major basement renovation about 5 years ago for which I got a bin from Bin There, Dump That and they used the planks to protect my driveway back then. Definitely a good idea cause those bins are not light and when you get them loaded up with a ton or more of construction debris they could really take a toll.

Blaine

Hi Blaine, Yup...last years outdoor makeover is on the cover of CHW this month, you weren't seeing things

I take it you have stashed the family elsewhere during the mayhem since it looks a big dusty job with probably no kitchen for while.
    Now what kind of adventure would that be?? There was no fleeing the ship here My wife, 9 yr old and 3 yr. old are troopers.
    Seriously though, there are some things you can do to make it easier, I'll be showing a bunch of them as we go along.

R

*Edit*: I just re-read your post....."Bin There, Dump That" Great name for a dump bin company!!
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 08-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Today was more demolition…..but a *little* construction. Earlier I said that there are things you can do to make living through a renovation a little easier….and if it’s a kitchen reno, your first priority should be a sink. Microwaves and stoves can be moved around, as can a fridge, and while it can be a little inconvenient it is doable.…but doing dishes in a bathroom? That’s just not civilized!

So the first order of business was rigging up a quick-detach sink. I re-used the old sink in a frame of 1X3’s, and hooked up the supply lines and drain in such a way they could be easily removed for work on the walls where it was located.

Not exactly fine woodworking, but it is a lifesaver:

With the sink hooked up, it was time to start taking more stuff down….you’ll notice the house is relatively clean…..this is tip #2. Taking a half hour at the end of the day to clean up helps keep everybody sane and reduces the amount of dirt that gets tracked into the parts of the house that you are still using. By the way: I still have that ceiling fan if anybody wants it….works great

Speaking of that fan, it came down as did the old track lighting:

And then the remaining insulation and drywall…..lots of fun.

That’s enough for one day…..time to clean up. Tomorrow is going to be all about the thousands of nails still left sticking out of the studs from the T&G, but thankfully I have a friends nephew named KJ coming to help pull nails. With any luck we can start pulling up floors as well.

Tool of the day: No doubt about it: My Stanley FuBAR. I’ve talked about this tool before, but I’ll say it again: when it comes to breaking stuff with extreme prejudice it’s fantastic!

Thanks for looking.

Ryan

Ryan If I remember right you added insulation under the steel roof didn't you? It looks like you might have had R20 in the rafter space.
    "Do it Right!"

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Hey Rusty. No, no added insulation during the roofing....the steel was on strapping right over the existing shingles. Your correct about the R20 though, not nearly enough.

Thank you. Have you got a plan for more?

I still haven't done the one I was talking about a month ago. Owners still screwing with the Insurance company.
    "Do it Right!"

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Thank you. Have you got a plan for more?

I still haven't done the one I was talking about a month ago. Owners still screwing with the Insurance company.
    Sure do. There'll be R50-R60 up there before this whole thing is over.

OK, off to bed. Early start tomorrow!

I'll be waiting to hear your plan and BTW you didn't sneak that new avatar by us.
    "Do it Right!"

Blog Entries

Are you not done this yet? you've been working on since the spring.

Jerome
    Elmvale On.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Are you not done this yet? you've been working on since the spring.
    Too many coffee breaks.....hows your project coming?

Blog Entries
    Real Name

OK, back at it. As I mentioned yesterday, the better part of today was all about pulling nails. The problem with T&G cedar is that when you pull it off of the walls, the finish nails stay in the wall…..and trust me, you want to make sure you get every single nail out or it will wreak havoc when you are trying to put your drywall up.

So my helper KJ arrived bright and early, and we went straight to work pulling the remaining insulation and the thousands of nails…..that burned an entire day.

And we made a HUGE mess (again)

But at the end of the day there was nail-free lumber:

And once the mess was cleaned up, a happy pooch

Thanks for looking everybody. I’m off tomorrow, so the next update will be Friday PM.

Ryan

How the hell do you get a day off?
    Last edited by Rusty; 08-31-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    "Do it Right!"