FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

Default Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

.......Continued from previous page

Ceiling second pass

While the spraying was going on, another team member followed along behind removing any high spots that happened to project out beyond the face of the framing. Also called “scarfing”, there was very little that needed to be done (maybe 4-5 spots) but it sure makes it easier to drywall with the high spots removed.

With the scarfing done and the foam all sprayed, the floor was a mess:

Which they cleaned up immediately ;)

They pulled all the masking, swept every surface, and made sure the only purple in the house was where it belonged, and left me with a clean space (that just happened to look like Barney exploded in it)

In all seriousness, I would HIGHLY recommend this process for anyone who is looking at insulation. I mean…I literally went from a drafty, leaky, severely under-insulated cottage to an air-tight R22 and R42 + house in ONE DAY! The team was thorough and very professional, the work was done quickly and neatly, and apart from the purple in the wall cavities, there wasn’t a trace of them being there. I’m pretty picky when it comes to trades, but these guys rate 100% in my book.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: The day after the foam was done, my air conditioning shut off….on a 35 degree afternoon….something that has NEVER happened in the 7 years that it has been in. I’m (almost) looking forward to winter now.

Thanks for looking everyone. Tomorrow it’s time to cover up all that purple with drywall….see you then
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Real Name
    Adam

Default Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Why drywall and paint? Stick with the purple, it's fashion forward.

Ryan - thanks for posting your new adventure - I enjoyed following your outdoor one as well. Really appreciate all the detail and your thoughts.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Blog Entries

I'm planning on doing foam when I get to my basement renovation.

So the TV is caputz? What a bummer.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

I glad you brought Barney as I was going to

Jerome
    Elmvale On.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by acr View Post
    Why drywall and paint? Stick with the purple, it's fashion forward.
    Ummm.....too bad I'm not Besides, the foam doesn't hold nails worth a crap....how am I gonna hang my nobel prize(s) for "DIY sticktoitiveness"?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn from Winnipeg View Post
    Ryan - thanks for posting your new adventure - I enjoyed following your outdoor one as well. Really appreciate all the detail and your thoughts.
    It's really my pleasure Glenn. I appreciate it when people like you post so I know I'm not talking to myself with these threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    I'm planning on doing foam when I get to my basement renovation.

So the TV is caputz? What a bummer.
    I honestly don't have a single complaint with the foam, Lowe's, or the contractor....you'll be happy with your decision.

And yes, the TV is a write-off. Who would have thought electronics wouldn't like dirty watter running through them? :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I glad you brought Barney as I was going to
    No kidding eh? "I love you.....you love me......" (sung to the tune of "This old man" slowed down 2X)

Thanks guys

R
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hate to be so dutch (can't help it, it's in my blood ) but how does the foam price out compared to batts?
    Chad of all trades

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by beachvillain View Post
    Hate to be so dutch (can't help it, it's in my blood ) but how does the foam price out compared to batts?
    I'm actually right in the middle of doing an article on that topic....commercial spray vs DIY vs. batts, but I havent gotten down to the hard #'s yet.

I CAN say that it is definitely more money when looking at materials cost.....*but*:

A: You get the insulation and vapor barrier at the same time, rather than paying labour for someone else to do it....especially areas like joist pockets.
    B: In order to match the R value you would be looking at 2-3X the same amount of batt, plus the necessary framing modifications to fit that much fiberglass (more$, more labour)
    C: It's perfect....no leaks, no taping, no voids
    D: In my case, it was the only way to get that R value....there wasn't another option.
    E: Eco-energy rebates See what taking your walls from r-12 to r-22 - 30 will do for you.
    F: It's done in ONE day, no garbage to deal with, no extra insulation to get rid of, no itchy arms

Blog Entries

We're there different kinds of foam to choose from? I don't mean for colour, but for performance/quality aspects.
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    We're there different kinds of foam to choose from? I don't mean for colour, but for performance/quality aspects.
    There are different foams, but they are for specialty applications (ie: there is a super dense foam for commercial vibration abatement, etc) but for insulation, it's just the one type. From what I've seen, the product is pretty much the same regardless of colour.

R

I thought there were two main types for residential; closed cell and open cell?

Val

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by greenv View Post
    I thought there were two main types for residential; closed cell and open cell?

Val
    Not through Insta, closed cell only.....but truthfully I can't see why anyone would use/want open cell foam for insulation.....?

Ryan, I have been following your project and observing and I must say first thank you for sharing. I find your posts very inspiring and informative. I will probably never look at another home the same way that’s in the perfect spot but needs serious renovations. You did such a great job on the exterior that now we can’t wait to see the progress on the interior. Good luck with the remaining work and keep the postings coming.

Dan

Ryan, Are you required to put vapour barrier over spray foam in your County?? In haldimand county its a requirement, and one of reasons "I heard" was when they have to Scarf the extra insulation off it loses it vapour barrier properties. Any thoughts on this??

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by BRIEN View Post
    Ryan, Are you required to put vapour barrier over spray foam in your County?? In haldimand county its a requirement, and one of reasons "I heard" was when they have to Scarf the extra insulation off it loses it vapour barrier properties. Any thoughts on this??
    No it's not required here, and I'd be interested to hear Haldimand's reasoning for this.....as it makes no sense. Closed cell foam, by it's very nature, is closed Scarfing it doesn't inhibit it's air tight qualities whatsoever, as the foam cells remaining are still "closed". Very strange indeed.

I mean, even it it was a real concern, I wonder why they would not simply require painting scarfed areas with a latex paint or similar. Having to go over closed cell poly foam with 6 mil plastic strikes me as a bit of a belt and suspenders thing.
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-14-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
    Ryan, I have been following your project and observing and I must say first thank you for sharing. I find your posts very inspiring and informative. I will probably never look at another home the same way that’s in the perfect spot but needs serious renovations. You did such a great job on the exterior that now we can’t wait to see the progress on the interior. Good luck with the remaining work and keep the postings coming.

Dan

Thanks very much Dan. I shall try not to dissapoint

Real Name
    Warren

If your strictly interested in upfront costs and not operating costs then spray foam is a little more than 4 times DIY batting and vapor barrier.

If your building new I don't think you can beat ICF. Without doing any real accurate figuring I'd say it's likely faster and cheaper to build and better in the end. For renos it's hard to beat spray foam.

I'm in the process of building and somewhat regret not doing ICF above the basement. I'd be way further ahead. I'm using batting because of the upfront cost. I also don't think spray foam will gain me as much since I've put the airtight liquid applied membrane on the outside.

Real Name
    Warren

By the way nice job Ryan!

Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by hawk223 View Post
    If your building new I don't think you can beat ICF.
    ICF?

Extra text to ensure the message I entered is not too short. I have lengthened it to be at least 10 characters.

Real Name
    Ryan

Insulated Concrete Forms. Basically hollow lego blocks made out of foam. You stack them up to build your walls, then the pumper truck comes and fills them all with concrete. Plastic splines in the blocks allow you to drywall right on it on the inside, side right on it on the outside. Once you're done, it's about R 5billion. Good luck drilling the hole you forgot for the dryer vent though!