ADDITIONAL SEMINAR SERIES IN FRENCH

NEW SEMINAR TOPICS INCLUDE:

• How To Get The Most From Your Small Shop
    • How To Design Your Own Projects
    • And LOTS More!

GIANT EXHIBIT
    ‘NEW WOODWORKING TOOLS
    & ACCESSORIES’

A special exhibit showing everything new in woodworking tools and accessories!

ALL NEW Q&A with

• Rosewood Studio’s Ron Barter
    • Canadian Woodworking’s Rob Brown
    • OWA’s Vic Tesolin
    • Fine Furniture Maker, Adrian Ferrazzutti

SPECIAL FEATURE:

• Panel Discussion and Q&A With Lee Valley/Veritas Design Team
    • Learn how products are developed
    • Find out what new products are coming to market!

Come and ask your questions directly to the industry experts!

You could
    win
    a week long woodworking course
    at Rosewood Studio

with Adrian Ferrazzutti, Ron Barter, Garrett Hack or Michael Fortune

OCT. 21, 22, 23, 2011

Lansdowne Park,
    Aberdeen Pavilion
    1015 Bank St. (at Homewood)

Hours:

• Friday 1pm-8pm
    • Saturday 10am-6pm
    • Sunday 10am-5pm

Admission

• General $10
    • Seniors 65+ $9
    • Under 12 FREE

More Info: 519-449-1221

www.WoodShows.com

Phil in downtown Clarkson
    Just once I'd like to design a design feature in advance

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: 2011 Ottawa Woodworking Show

OTTAWA WOODWORKING SHOW UPDATE

ottawawoodshow2011logoHere is just some of what you will find at this year's Ottawa Woodworking Show

Three Seminar Areas

For the first time, the show will feature three distinct seminar series in three separate areas:

• General Woodworking & DIY
    • General Woodworking & DIY (in French)
    • Fine Woodworking

General Woodworking Seminar topics include

• Design Your Small Shop for Maximum Efficiency
    • Woodworking Techniques to Get The Most From Your Small Shop
    • Learn to Design Your Own Projects
    • How to Best Combine the Use of Power and Hand Tools
    • Simple Home ProjectsThat Will Save You Thousands

Fine Woodworking topics include:

• - How Canada's top fine woodworkers design their award winning pieces - and how you can do the same.
    • - Learn how to design, or adjust your current shop design, so that you make the most out of your shop space
    • - Learn how to make money from woodworking - a lot of people want to, but only a few know how to actually do it.

Meet Canada's Top Fine Woodworkers

Award winning Fine Woodworkers will be on-hand all weekend long to answer your questions - whether you are just getting started, or you simply need to fine-tune a technique.

garrettsMeet the Lee Valley/Veritas Design Team

Members of the Lee Valley/Veritas design team will be giving woodworkers an inside view on how tools are conceived, created, and brought to market.

• - get up close and personal with the industries most prestigious tool designers.
    • - See tools that are being developed now, for the future.
    • - Find out about your favourite tools, from the people that are creating them.

Here are just some of the Fine Woodworkers who will be at the show: Ron Barter, Adrian Ferrazzutti, Karen McBride, Marty Schloser, Vic Tesolin, and Rob Brown.

ONE TIME, LOW ADMISSION PRICE GETS YOU INTO THE SHOW
    FOR THE ENTIRE WEEKEND!

That's right - your one day admission of $10 covers all three days. Come back as often as you wish, take in more seminars, meet more pros, and get all of your questions answered!

michaelsENTER TO WIN!

Your admission gives you a chance to win a week-long woodworking course with Garrett Hack (photo top left) or Michael Forunte (photo bottom left), courtesy Rosewood Studio. Don't miss this opportunity to learn from North America's most sought after Fine Woodworkers.

THIS JUST IN: The Ottawa Woodworking Show has just been approved to be an official drop-off location for battery recycling. Bring your old household and workshop batteries to the show, and for every battery you will receive one ballot to win any one of a variety of cordless power tools.

So drop into the show and turn your old batteries into new power tools!

Here is a partial list of exhibitors at this time.
    I know I've missed a few, so please forgive any ommissions.

lvv lf dewalt bosch
    steelcity freud earlex algon kreglogo
    grex baddog portercable dimar bessey
    duragrit easternfor elite magswitch rd
    imperial kjp kv minwax oneida
    rockler wrayco royce sawshop sharpco
    woodpecker stockroom woodline    
    presthard brumley general king  

Be sure to check us out on FACEBOOK!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Take Charge of Your Workshop - and Turn Your Old Batteries into NEW Power Tools!

Bring your old rechargeable batteries to the Ottawa Woodworking Show, and you will be entered into an special draw (open only to those who drop off batteries). You could win a variety of cordless power tools from DeWalt, Bosch, and Ridgid.

It's easy:
    Bring any old rechargeable batteries from your house or shop, and drop them off at the Recycling Booth in the show. (see website for a list of acceptable batteries)
    In exchange, you will be given one ballot for each battery that you bring, so make sure to bring as many as you can.

There are a lot of great prizes, but only those who bring in batteries can enter.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

For the first time ever...Admission gets you in ALL THREE DAYS!

Your admission enters you to win a variety of awesome prizes, including:

A week long woodworking course with Garrett Hack or Michael Fortune (courtesy Rosewood Studio)

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

MEDIA RELEASE

Winning Solution for Disposing of Old Batteries

After much talk of batteries leaking heavy metals into the soil and water supplies, many are hesitant to throw them away.

The problem is, what do you do with batteries once they have outlived their usefulness?

Batteries are piling up in our homes and workshops - we want to get rid of them, but don't want to throw them out.

Paul Fulcher, organizer of the Ottawa Woodworking Show has experienced this first hand and has come up with a winning solution to encourage people to dispose of old batteries safely. On October 21,22, 23 he will team up with CALL2RECYCLE (a non-profit recycling organization) and offer a temporary location for people to drop off their old batteries.

To make this even more attractive, for every battery turned in visitors to the Ottawa Woodworking Show receive a ballot to win a variety of cordless power tools. Visitors to the woodworking event will be given one ballot for every battery that they take to the show.

Prizes include power tools from Bosch, Ridgid, Porter-Cable and DeWalt.
    Household and workshop batteries will be accepted. See complete list below.

Admission to the woodworking show is $10 and covers all weekend. In addition to disposing of old batteries safely, attendees can take in carving and turning competitions, attend seminars on woodworking and home improvement, and get deals on the latest tools. The woodworking show is October 21, 22, 23 at Lansdowne Park. The battery recycling booth will be open during the show: Friday 1pm -8pm, Saturday 10am-6pm and Sunday 10am-5pm.

Batteries accepted for Recycling:

Consumer batteries each weighing less than 5kg:
    • Nickel cadmium (Ni-Cd)
    • Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)x
    • Lithium Ion (Li-Ion)
    • Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn)
    • Small Sealed Lead Acid (SSLA/Pb)
    • Lithium Primary
    • Alkaline (AA, AAA, 9V, etc)

Cell phones (and their batteries) – regardless of size, make, model or age.

For more information contact
    Paul Fulcher, Ottawa Woodworking Show
    519-449-2444 office 519-755-5862 cell
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 10-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

MEDIA RELEASE

World's Safest Table Saw - Rips Through Lumber, Won't Cut Fingers!

This week, at the Ottawa Woodworking Show, there will be live demonstrations of the world's safest table saw - the new SawStop!

The SawStop has quickly become North America's #1 table saw for hobbyist woodworkers and D.I.Y.ers. The reason - this powerful saw simply will not cut flesh.

This award winning saw actually detects human flesh, and immediately shuts off in less than 1/1000th of a second, saving the operator from injury.

The SawStop has already been credited with saving thousands of users from injuries, and continues to be incorporated into more and more schools and workshops across Canada.

Whether in the market for a table saw, or just want to see this amazing demonstration, every woodworker has ten good reasons to check out this new flesh detecting saw!

For a short video on how the SawStop works, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnQwVZOrUU

For a (super slow motion) video showing the saw shutting off when a finger is touched to the moving blade, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUOhYcw4ZY (see: 4:13)

Media Event:
    An exclusive showing of the SawStop saw in action.
    Watch the saw rip through lumber, but stop when it detects flesh.
    Thursday October 20th at 12:00noon in the Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne Park.
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 10-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Ottawa Seminars

Media Release - For Immediate Release

Canada’s Top Woodworkers Demonstrate at Local Wood Show

The Ottawa Woodworking Show is pleased to present the largest selection of seminars since it began 23 years ago. Three seminar streams will include:

 Woodworking & D.I.Y. series in English
     Woodworking & D.I.Y. series in French
     Fine Woodworking and Furniture Making series

Show manager, Paul Fulcher, says that the seminar series gives local woodworkers of all levels of experience, a chance to meet and learn from the best.

Attendees can find out:
     How The Pros Bend Wood
     Fool Proof Furniture Design
     Small Shop Success Secrets
     How The Pros Design Their Projects
     Stair, Window, and Door Makeover
     How to Get The Most From Your Shop Tools
     How To Make A Living From Woodworking

PLUS **A special presentation**
    In this first-ever presentation, the Lee Valley/Veritas Design Team will walk attendees through the process of bringing new tools to market – from concept to completion. Attendees will meet the designers and see woodworking tools at various stages of development. Attendees will also have an opportunity to give input and feedback about some important new tools not yet released, and use tools that have yet to be seen by the public.

See the complete seminar schedule at: http://www.woodshows.com/index.php?categoryid=28

Seminar Leader Bios:

RonBarter1.jpgA founding member of The Furniture Society, Ron Barter has an enthusiasm for furniture making and design that he has shared with students at Rosewood Studio since 2002. In July of 2007, he became the owner and program director of the school, where he continues to draw on over twenty years of experience designing and building furniture for a living.

AdrianFerrazzutti1.jpgAdrian Ferrazzutti of Guelph, Ontario, has over ten years’ professional experience as a maker of fine furniture and decorative wooden objects. He is a 1998 graduate of the Fine Woodworking Program at the College of the Redwoods in California, where he studied for two years with James Krenov. His work has been widely published in books and magazines, and he is a contributing writer for Fine Woodworking magazine. Adrian works independently as well as in collaboration with architects to create unique work for private residences.

KarenMcBride1.jpgKaren McBride excels at creating contemporary furniture of her own design. She teaches courses at Lee Valley and Rosewood Studio and has recently published articles in the Lee Valley online newsletter.

A ten-week internship in 2005 with Michael Fortune ignited Karen’s passion for design as she absorbed as much as she could from a master furniture maker.

She works part time designing and making furniture in the log house studio which she restored in Dunrobin, Ontario.

VicTesolin1.jpgVic Tesolin was a student at Rosewood Studio where he studied furniture design and making under the guidance of some of North America’s top furniture makers. Vic ran his own studio furniture business designing and crafting furniture by commission, while working at Rosewood as a part time instructor and craftsman in residence. He has also held the position of editor at Canadian Woodworking magazine. Currently, Vic is the Technical Advisor at Lee Valley Tools. He designs and builds furniture in a studio in his home in Carleton Place, Ontario.

MartySchlosser1.jpgMarty Schlosser has been designing and making custom furniture for residences, commercial establishments and charitable organizations for over 30 years. Marty also enjoys sharing his knowledge and love of wood with others, through classes on fine finishing and woodworking techniques and through magazine articles. Marty is a member of the Ottawa Woodworkers Association and is registered with the Canadian Arts & Crafts Index. Marty’s studio is located in Kingston, from where he makes commission-based, custom-designed furniture.

RobBrown1.jpgRob Brown is currently the editor of Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement magazine. He also designs high quality custom furniture and shoji screen systems that are beautiful, functional and durable. Traditional joinery methods - proven by time for their strength and enduring beauty – contrast with a contemporary aesthetic culled from Nature. The result: home furnishing with simple, clean lines, strength, purpose and style. In addition to creating custom furniture and shoji screen systems, Rob also teaches numerous woodworking classes in his studio. Ranging from introductory woodworking lessons to advanced techniques and projects, these classes are fun, informative and always safe.

Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 10-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Default Re: Ottawa Seminars

With a lineup like that I wouldn't be in and out the door in an hour. I might even show up the second day. Too bad it's way up there in the frozen north.
    Jim

Looking at the website it sure looks good. Is 3 days enough to see everything?
    This show and Kitchener have the right idea. We need to support them.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Win a $100 gift certificate to spend at the Ottawa Woodworking Show, October 21, 22, 23, 2011.

It's easy - just 'like' our FaceBook page, and you will be automatically entered into the draw.
    The contest is open until Thursday October 20th at 12:00 noon. At that time the draw will be made and the winner announced on this FaceBook page and the Canadian Woodworking Forum.
    The gift certificate will be picked up at the show.
    If you win, but are not attending the show, the certificate cannot be redeemed for cash, but it is totally transferable to a friend.

Good luck!

Paul Fulcher

If I wasn't doing a seminar in Dallas I definatley would be at this show.I hope all woodworkers support this tremendous effort Paul Fulcher and crew are doing.
    My son and wife will be at the show introducing something new, make sure you stop by and grind them a little.
    Good luck, Paul and Linda
    Paul

Another temptation to join Facebook! (I worked around it by liking it for LOML). I'm hoping if he is the lucky winner, he'll transfer his winnings to me!
    I feel so fortunate to know several of the presenters who are members or contributors to the Ottawa Woodworkers. You will not be disappointed if you see any of the seminars by Karen, Marty, Vic, Brian, Ron and Pierre. All very knowledgable and approachable folk. Just wish some of what they have would rub off on me.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Default The Ottawa Woodworking Show is now under way!!

The show is now well under way - come and check it out! Lots of great tools and accessories, wood and great seminars - three seminar areas with new speakers and new topics - aussi en francais . The show is on today til 8, Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday 10 to 5. Come on down and join in the fun. Please check back this evening for photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BandK99; 10-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Real Name
    Hutch

Default Has anyone been to the Ottawa Show , Review

Has anyone been down there yet ???

Default Re: Has anyone been to the Ottawa Show , Review

It's not open yet . I'm on my way and will comment in a bit.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Default Re: The Ottawa Woodworking Show is now under way!!

I dropped by quickly yesterday to take a quick walkthrough. More than a few things caught my eye. Can't wait to go back again today. I'm loving the fact that I can pay once and go several times throughout the weekend. I live 5 minutes away and will likely attend a seminar or too that I otherwise couldn't. From talking to a few vendors it sounds like there was a good crowd yesterday!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Has anyone been down there yet ???
    Moved to OTTAWA SHOW THREAD
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 10-22-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Looks like another GREAT show. I'm on my way very soon! Looking forward to meeting "some of the guys & gals".

N.B. off topic Grin: last winter southern Ontar-iar-io had much more snow than Ottawa did. I only got to use my snow blower 3 times. Must be all that hot air from the politicians.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately i can't get to the show (5 hour drive) but have bee to that building many times and love it.

Jerome
    Elmvale On.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

All the Ottawa Show threads have been merged into this one. Please add your show comments to this thread. Thanks.