FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Facebook and the Forum

Default Facebook and the Forum

Hey Folks,

Some of you have likely noticed the Facebook Connect button that has appeared in the control bar by the sign-in area. What pressing this button does is enable you to "like" threads and then have this action transmitted to your Facebook page. Those of you who use Facebook know how this works.

As many of us are understandibly cautious about our personal information, we have set all the potential data downloaded to the site on the most restrictive settings possible, so no access to your profile information, friends list, or photos will be imported by our ap that is specifically designed to integrate with the forum software.

Part of the decision to provide this option is that we are also developing a Facebook page to promote the Forum and Magazine. We are just deciding at the moment on how to manage content through the page to keep it interesting.

Comments are welcome as well as input on what kind info you Facebook Users would be interested in seeing in our status updates.

Matt
    SPCHT

Blog Entries

Default Re: Facebook and the Forum

I set up a facebook a couple of years ago at the behest of a friend wanting to share a common friend from the past. That quickly ran its course and subsequently I quickly found that there was this inundation of unwanted individuals or what were in fact now total strangers trying to connect with me. I've been dormant pretty well since.

It seemed to me there would be just a little too much access to me whether I liked it or not using facebook so I chose not to partake.

I also felt there were some on facebook that were there just to surround themselves with a fabricated wall of friends, and that seemed odd and twisted. Not for me.

Don't even ask about Twitter. Never even been to their site, I think I know what it is all about, I just don't have that need to dribble about my life or to gawk at the nuances of others.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Great idea Matt !!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Just to add a bit to what Matt has outlined above, we have set things up so that NONE of your Facebook profile information is transmitted back to the forum.

In addition, we will not allow registration on the forum from Facebook. The current forum registration process is pretty rigorous and we would have to give that up to accommodate direct Facebook registration. At this stage there do no appear to be any benefits, but lots of risks, in giving up control of the registration process.

In addition, The Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement Facebook Page is now active. We hope you will take time to visit the page and give us your comments on it, as well at what other things you would like to see there.

As a final note, I would like to give a huge THANK YOU to Matt for all the hard work he put in to make this all happen. As a result of his efforts, Matt has now been moved into the Admin ranks, and will be the point man for all issues related to Facebook.

Edit: I meant to mention that you can click on the image next to your name on the top tool bar, and that will connect you directly to your FB account.
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 09-14-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Real Name
    Adam

What's facebook?

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by acr View Post
    What's facebook?
    Not sure if you're joking or not Adam.

But in case you're not, Facebook is a form of Social Media, which allows you to interact with friends and family. You can find more details at http://www.facebook.com/

Real Name
    Adam

Yes, sorry Bill, completely joking.

While I'm not a FB member, I'm amazed at how pervasive it has become. Some recent analysis seems to suggest that the membership is declining in north america, but it's still a huge proportion of the internet fairing population.

Just a reminder that the Gore-A-Thon starts tonight... and that part of the schtick is for people to "lend" their facebook and twitter accounts to the Great Gore so that people can be messaged into oblivion...
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/1...f-gorepocrisy/

Putting things on a 24Hr. hold might not be a bad idea. Then maybe you have been able to forestall the potential deluge.
    ---
    Will

ďThere is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.Ē ó- Mark Twain

Facebook is no different than a lot of things. Fill it full of junk and you get... junk! I use it to keep up with close friends, as well as get news from various organizations (example: Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement Magazine, you have been 'liked'!)

Quote Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
    Facebook is no different than a lot of things. Fill it full of junk and you get... junk! I use it to keep up with close friends, as well as get news from various organizations (example: Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement Magazine, you have been 'liked'!)
    LOL, we are taking the responsibility of not spreading junk very seriously. Thanks for "likening" us.

Matt

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
    SPCHT

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Facebook

You can now connect to either the magazine's page or your personal page by clicking on the appropriate button as shown below.

FBconnect3.jpg

Real Name
    Roger Tulk

I joined facebook to keep int ouch with my friends and kids, and it works, but I know I won't be pressing that button. Facebook is the voice of World Control, and it is evil.
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Everyone is a self-made person.

I think a couple good examples to look at as far as well run facebook pages are clearlycontacts and carolina hurricanes. Lot's of interraction between users and moderators.

Thanks Jamie,

I'll check those out.

Matt

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
    SPCHT

Real Name
    Steve Morris

beaver guru??

i "liked" that one!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I guess I should have read this thread before I pressed that button.
    Building a Bar?
    Checkout the Woodworkers gallery http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...?do=view&g=162

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

An update on Facebook. With the new software, we now have Facebook connect back up and running. What does that mean to you? Well, you can go directly to your FB account from the forum, and you can also like posts and threads on your personal FB page.

You may have to link your accounts...at least I did the first time I hit the Facebook Connect button next to my log on name.

Hopefully some of your will find this useful.

A year or more I joined facebook to keep up with relatives that moved to Quebec - Only checked in once or twice - watched friends and relatives putting their lives on display - got disenchanted with it and never went back. Now I get all kinds of emails saying XYZ from Quebec thought you might be interexted in ....... So, Facebook, no thanks. Glad I used a phoney name - but somebody knows enough to get (one of) my home email. Sorry, I prefer my privacy.

Logged into Twitter to follow a mining guru - I have 45 people following me but I've only logged in twice and contributed nothing. How much more Useless can that be.

Sorry to be negative - but doesn't bother me - my employer blocks *ALL* social networking sites anyway.
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn from Winnipeg View Post
    A year or more I joined facebook to keep up with relatives that moved to Quebec - Only checked in once or twice - watched friends and relatives putting their lives on display - got disenchanted with it and never went back. Now I get all kinds of emails saying XYZ from Quebec thought you might be interexted in ....... So, Facebook, no thanks. Glad I used a phoney name - but somebody knows enough to get (one of) my home email. Sorry, I prefer my privacy.

Logged into Twitter to follow a mining guru - I have 45 people following me but I've only logged in twice and contributed nothing. How much more Useless can that be.

Sorry to be negative - but doesn't bother me - my employer blocks *ALL* social networking sites anyway.
    No problem Glenn. People either love FB or hate it. All we've done here is give folks the option to "like" posts directly to their personal pages for their friends to see.

Twitter.....not for me either.....never did see the point in that one.