FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Where to buy reclaimed wood and steel- Toronto

Default Where to buy reclaimed wood and steel- Toronto

Hi. I want to build a sideboard for my front hall out of reclaimed wood and steel. Can anyone recommend where I can buy material and find a fabricator in or near Toronto? My preference is for the steel to have an antique look. If there are places to buy prefab bases that would also work.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Where to buy reclaimed wood and steel- Toronto

Not too sure about the steel, but for wood you could go to urban tree salvage. I work in Ottawa, but I'm going to be delivering a table to a client in Toronto, in the next month or so, when I'm down, I was planning on stopping in to see what they have.

Default Re: Where to buy reclaimed wood - Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by mwallace View Post
    Not too sure about the steel, but for wood you could go to urban tree salvage. I work in Ottawa, but I'm going to be delivering a table to a client in Toronto, in the next month or so, when I'm down, I was planning on stopping in to see what they have.
    Would you be interested in reclaimed wood from my church's building? The building will be demolished later this year. Should you be interested or know of someone who is please message me.
    IMG_5287.jpg

church ceiling.jpg
    Last edited by John Bartley; 03-23-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: reorganised photo layour for easier reading

Real Name
    Roger

Can also try Canadian Salvaged Timber.
    http://www.canadiansalvagedtimber.ca/

a good place to try is the junction neighborhood. there's couple great reclaimed places who sell complete reclaimed furniture. they also do custom pieces and sell parts, steel and wood. the places i'm thinking of are Post and Beam, Smash, world headquarters and Forever interiors. these are in order from east to west along dundas just west of keele.

steel is the hardest part to find. if you're willing to scrounge a bit try your local scrap yard.

should mention i was/am an independent carpenter who has worked for a couple of these places.

my usual advice is also to get reclaimed work professionally done. i have been working in reclaimed for a number of year now and it's always a much bigger challenge to build out of materials with this much history. there will always be many more surprises in store then new materials so expect to need to purchase much more then you might normally expect.

try Chisholm Lumber - just north of Belleville...a little far from Toronto but worth the drive for all kinds of unique materials including reclaimed timbers and boards. very friendly staff... a walk around their yard is great for any lumber/wood enthusiast...prices well below city so if you have a vision and some know how, you can save a boat load...

I live in Toronto and I also agree with an earlier comment about being careful with reclaimed wood. OK to the point. Urban Salvage in Toronto has some nice stuff but its pricey more "retail than wholesale". Also be really careful with old wood. I worked on some 150 year old relaimed wood and in those days they used cast iron nails.
    Problem is they break (below the wood surface) easier than the newer steel ones and you think you are planing a nail free piece of wood and a new set of planer blades later! For the record yes I did scan first with a metal detector - don't work too well with cast iron especially buried.

Real Name
    Richard Lee

For used steel, Scrap yards.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill