FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,006
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    Copied from WoodWeb

    "A Cautionary Tale: Shop Fire Destroys Building and Burns Owner
    This thread will teach you the hard lessons learned by a shop owner whose buildings caught fire — without having to go through it yourself. October 4, 2011"

    Seehttp://woodweb.com/knowledge_base/A_..._Building.html

    A very well written article of a massive lost and near death, that apparently could have been avoided with simple nozzle gas fill overflow prevention (required by state and fed. codes).
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 12-06-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: narrative
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12450&dateline=127309  6828 Wood Wreck - Structural framing specialist.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sarnia ont
    Posts
    9,477
    Real Name
    Steve Morris

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    a good reason NOT to store flammables in a garage or shop of anykind and to fill machines when cold, OUTSIDE
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,013
    Real Name
    Jason

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    Too bad he got hurt, but there is something weird about that story.. Clogged INTERNAL filter and he somehow managed to dump 3 gallons into it? There are no "internal" filters that can cause a problem like this in my experience.

    My honda has a screen on the fill neck, but there is no way you could clog it completely, and even if you did, and somehow managed to overflow the tank, there is a molded trough to direct fuel to the safe side.

    Ive filled a TON of hot machines, and spilled lots of gas on the hot exhaust. All that happens is a sizzle, as the exhaust isnt hot enough to ignite the fuel....

    Being a genset, I bet the machine was running (cant have the wife go without power) and an electrical spark or a spark from the exhaust ignited the overflowed gasoline either from a clogged filter (questionable) or more likely operator error. Filling a running machine is really bad practice.
    Last edited by scooby074; 12-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    3,267
    Real Name
    A.B. Normal

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    Sorry to hear about the injuries and the loss of shop and equipment.

    Safety is one of those things, it's all statistical, just because you've done a risky thing 5,000 times in a row without incident, doesn't mean you've got the risk under control. Each time is just as risky.

    Hope he heals well............Rod.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    IcandrivetoOttawa
    Posts
    3,871
    Real Name
    Bill

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

    ..., just because you've done a risky thing 5,000 times in a row without incident, doesn't mean you've got the risk under control. Each time is just as risky.

    ... Rod.
    That is worth framing and putting on the shop wall, Rod.

    billh

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Western Brant County, Ont.
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    As a general practise with lawn and garden equipment if I can't touch the muffler then the machine is too hot to refuel.
    Bob

  7. #7

    Default Re: Yet another shop horror story from gas tank filling overflow and fire

    Quite a story indeed. (I agree about the filter thing - weird)

    Where I have my camp up north, a guy lost half his house, garage, shop, woodshed, a couple of vehicles, boats, and an ATV.

    It was speculated that a cordless power tool charger overcharged/short cicruited and caught fire about 3:00 am. Because there is no local gas station, folks store lots of gas in their garages. Once the fire hit the 20 litre plastic tanks (there was 4 of them) it was good night Irene., There wasn't much the volunteer fire department could save. It was kind of sickening to drive by the house (quite nice) and see the damage. He didn't have much in the way of insurance either.

    At least there is a somewhat decent ending:
    Good news update. My insurance paid off with a very fair amount to replace both the building and contents I lost in this fireGood news update. My insurance paid off with a very fair amount to replace both the building and contents I lost in this fire

Similar Threads

  1. Fire extinguisher in your shop?
    By Bitmugger in forum Shop and Tool Safety
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
  2. ‘The Story of a Woodworking Shop’ –free PDF file download
    By Frank Pellow in forum Shop Related Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
  3. ‘The Story of a Woodworking Shop’ –free CD gift
    By Frank Pellow in forum Shop Related Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  4. Shop Fire from Bandsaw
    By billh in forum Shop Related Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
  5. Fire in My Shop!!!!
    By Jeff in vancouver in forum Shop Related Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •