FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Lighting

Default Lighting

I would like to know what would work best for lights on the Delta midi lathe. I have tried different things but not truly satisfied with any. I am thinking to go to Moffat lighting. What does any one think?
    Andy in Victoria

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Lighting

I have one similar to this one mounted to the wall behind the lathe with a small spot lamp bulb in it.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20370383/

It works fairly well and you can pretty much orient it to shine the light wherever you want it and it stays where you set it. There is always the case where you want better lighting but as a rule this works. I think it is just as important, if not more important, to have very good general lighting over the lathe. I have 2 flourescent 2 tube fixtures over my lathe.

billh

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    I have one similar to this one mounted to the wall behind the lathe with a small spot lamp bulb in it.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20370383/

It works fairly well and you can pretty much orient it to shine the light wherever you want it and it stays where you set it. There is always the case where you want better lighting but as a rule this works. I think it is just as important, if not more important, to have very good general lighting over the lathe. I have 2 flourescent 2 tube fixtures over my lathe.

billh
    I was thinking about the same lamp for my Delta Midi but was thinking that it might vibrate too much. I never thought of mounting it on the wall.
    For your flourescents, do you use daylight balanced (i.e. 6500k) tubes?

I use the same set-up as Bill. An adjustable wall mount, and overhead fluorescents. I think the day light tubes would be good, and may give them a try in the future. You can never have enough light in my opinion. I also keep a flash light near by, and quite often use it for a close up look-see.

http://www.kmstools.com/delta-magnetic-work-light-1661

I love this lamp, mounted anywhere on lathe bed dependent on where light is required. I find a 40w bulb is more than sufficient rather than 60w suggested.

I noticed that Busy Bee has magnetic lights on sale right now. Do any of you have one of these? If so, how is it for lathe lighting? http://www.busybeetools.com/products...TIC-LIGHT.html

BOB

Real Name
    Bill

I generally put a 1 warm white and 1 cool white in the flourescent fixtures. If I really am concerned about colours I take the piece near a window and have a look.

billh

If you look at the pic you can see that I have two different articulated lamps that I use, in addition to two double 4' florescent lights overhead.
    The magnification lens and light are very handy when doing detailed work such as finials..... especially with my poor eyesight.

john
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a more modern approach that works well and costs $9.99 at IKEA. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10128734/
    I have a couple of them and mount with a couple of large bar magnets. You can also make custom bases for them quite easily. Picture shows mount on a Delta Midi. I move it around wherever I need the light. Very versatile and no bulb to break.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by John-in-Abbotsford View Post
    If you look at the pic you can see that I have two different articulated lamps that I use, in addition to two double 4' florescent lights overhead.
    The magnification lens and light are very handy when doing detailed work such as finials..... especially with my poor eyesight.

john
    Good idea! I never thought of using a magnifier and my eyes sure aren't what they used to be either! I have a magnifier that has a broken base, next job is going to be to fix it up and put it with the lathe.

billh

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Good idea! I never thought of using a magnifier and my eyes sure aren't what they used to be either! I have a magnifier that has a broken base, next job is going to be to fix it up and put it with the lathe.

billh
    I use one of these.
    http://www.escience.ca/gensci/RENDER...005/10350.html

Bob,

I have a light similar to that, but the housing is pretty close to the light bulb and the curlies like to get caught around the bulb. You also need to look at using the industrial lights that can take the vibration of the lathe since the neck is pretty short.

I now have 2 of the ikea led lights with rare earth magnets epoxied into the base to add spot lighting. As Mike pointed out, the bulbs do not break, but dust does get into the switch.

Lloyd

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

! have drilled three openings in the stand of my little Delta 46-460 lathe with pieces of steel pipe pressed into them where the desk type lamps fit into, the kind Bill and John use.

I also use the Magnifier one with the circle light though as it doesn't give much/enough light I always use at least one other desk light with it.

I do not like the lights that BusyBee sells, as those have a closed body and do get too da#*^ hot.

Also Fluorescent light by itself is not good light for turning, you do also need incandescent light to give you the shadow that will help in seeing spots etc.

I have these desk-type lights on my little lathe's stand as I take that lathe and stand places, so wall mounting is out, I do/did have them mounted on the wall by my big lathe, actually one was on a shelve so I could reach farther with the light for better placement of the light.

I've tried different bulbs and wattage, for a long time I used 100 watt regular incandescence bulbs and I now have settled for the 50 watt halogen flood light lamps to give me the best light, in addition with them a 4 foot double fluorescent overhead light hung just above my head.

The lights on the little lathe's stand are just fine, mind you I turn smaller pieces on that lathe, and vibration hasn't been a problem, however I would have problems on my large lathe where I turn heavy out of balance wood at times.

So yes it's better if you are able to mound the light on the wall or anyplace close enough to use without the vibration of the lathe and stand, IMO :thumb up:

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo