FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How to measure BF

Alan Guest

Default How to measure BF

On 4/4 stock, is the boardfoot measure determined with the board being 1" in thickness or is a thicker mearsure used?

Would a 4/4 stock 6" wide 8 feet long measure out at 4 bf?

Help would apprecaited.

Glen in Ottawa Guest

Default = 4bf - correct *NM*

Default Re: How to measure BF

Hi Alan,

Your calculation is correct. Basically, my understanding is to take the cubic foot measurement of the material (ie length x width x thickness)and divide by 144 (this being 1 bf).

Hope this helps...

Ed

Dan & Colleen Guest

I am new to this measuring wood stuff. What is meant by 4/4 stock?

4/4 is the thickness measurement for rough lumber that equals 1". The measurement typically increases by quarters thus 6/4= 1.5", 8/4 = 2", 10/4=2.5", 12/4=3" etc...

I really don't know the history behind this but most rough lumber retailers and sawmills use this method of thickness measurement for their inventory listings.

Ed

Alan Guest

I posted my question because I couldn’t make sense of the tally on an Alder lumber I ordered. I was charged 11 BF for a pc 8/4 stock measuring 8 feet long and 7.25” wide.

I would expected this board to be come out at:

( 2 in x 7.25 in x 8 ft ) / 12 = 9.7 BF

Apparently, I have just learned, because the stock was kiln dried, there is a shrinkage factor applied to the nominal BF measure. In the case of my order it would seem somewhere around 10% was added to the tally to account for the shrinkage. Accordingly, the 9.7 BF measure was billed out to me at an even 11 BF.

This may be unique to stock expressed as X/4 but I'm not sure.

Gord in Oakville Guest

Alan I think your guy might have made a mistake OR it just happens on small orders they take it up to the next highest BF or round up the dollar value or something like that. check for a sign at the shop.
    Your calc works out to 9.67bf actual or if if you think like a BF guy your order is 1.21% bigger than 8bf
    7.25"/6"=1.21 rounded is 1.25 so 8BFx1.25 =10bf not 11bf could even be a typo

.02bf worth

Ed/Leaside Guest

7.25" is nominally 8" so 2 x 8 x 8 / 12 = 10.7 which rounded to the nearest is 11 BF.

Allan Johanson - South Su Guest

Some places include a shrinkage factor and some don't. But what I saw from your calcs, places around here round up the width to the next full inch, and the length to the next full foot.

So...your 7.25" in width would be counted as 8".

8/4 x 8" x 96" / 144 = 10.67 board feet

Rounded to 11. That's my guess.

Allan

Default Same here

Where I but wood they always round off the the next inch in width to calculate BF. It can make a big difference. I bought some maple not long ago; when I eliminated the boards with quarter and half inches and replaced them with wider boards that had full inch widths I saved 50 bucks.
    Frank
    Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 06-07-2009 at 01:50 PM.

J.P.Rap in Hamilton Guest

Default I agree with rouning up *NM*